Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #11,191 of 22,954
I know this is an old ass quote but I'm catching up on old posts from a year ago.

This is so true. I have a Samsung S4 and luckily have no issue with hiss but occasionally I do get skips like a hiccup but its only a few times an hour.

Viper4Android is the main reason why I'll never leave Android. I know its on other devices but that single app will be my deciding factor when I get another phone. That and removable storage and battery.

V4A can turn the normally muddy se215 and make them into analytical IEM's that are similar to the ER4S with almost no distortion. Being as how little juice IEM's need there is a lot if room for shaping the sound. I just use a preset profile specifically for the 215,add in some high end sparkle, sub bass bump and call it done.

Sorry if this is off the current conversation.

FiiO is going to use viper4android in the new X7 DAP. :)

May 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #11,192 of 22,954
FiiO is going to use viper4android in the new X7 DAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't you put that on me Relic. Don't you dare!

I have the E18 but I'm trying to not use it due to it's bulk. Mostly I like being able to whip out of my phone and plug them in instead of hooking up my entire collection of gadgets just to listen for an hour. 

Next phone I get, I need to make sure it's top notch and has V4A support.

May 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #11,193 of 22,954
May 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #11,194 of 22,954
Don't you put that on me Relic. Don't you dare!

I have the E18 but I'm trying to not use it due to it's bulk. Mostly I like being able to whip out of my phone and plug them in instead of hooking up my entire collection of gadgets just to listen for an hour. 

Next phone I get, I need to make sure it's top notch and has V4A support.

:veryevil: ....... :veryevil:

May 15, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #11,195 of 22,954
i dont know something strange is happening  i am falling so much in love again with my shure 846, i stopped listening to my audeze lcd2 completely

how can that be?

May 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #11,196 of 22,954
  i dont know something strange is happening  i am falling so much in love again with my shure 846, i stopped listening to my audeze lcd2 completely

how can that be?

It's not the sound, it's the the rush of blood coming back to your brain after removing all the weight off your head. Just don't stand up too quickly!
L3000.gif

May 15, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #11,198 of 22,954

how can that be?

I understand completely. I think with a cable upgrade and the modded blue filter the 846 can compete with just about any iem out there. I am not saying it is better. What I am saying is that it is a technical achievement that can hold up against more expensive iem's. I also keep coming back to the 846 and marvel at its clarity, transparency and tonal accuracy. I own some other TOTL iems and I keep coming back to the 846 and just smile. You can add 10 drivers, 12 drivers, whatever but you cannot deny that the 846 is one of the clearest windows to the music you can buy.

May 16, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #11,199 of 22,954
I also recently modded my blue filter and now I am stuck with it. I am pairing with AK100 II. I did a cable upgrade before the mod. I am using ALO sxc24 Silver 2.5mm (4 pole). So far, i am very satisfied with it.

May 17, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #11,202 of 22,954
I am not very good at describing the sound but I will give it a try.

Initially, the blue filter sounds fine but when change to white filter, personally, i like it. The white filter seems to make the music sound more transparent and better high. But some music might have sibilance which is due to the song. So I end up changing back to blue filter.

But still not satisfied with the sound. So I upgrade the cable to ALO sxc24 2.5mm. Wow! The sound with blue filter is good! I am not a believer of cable upgrade but when I try it at the shop, I can hear the difference. Maybe it is because it is a balance cable instead of cable difference that make the difference but I do not know. The bass and treble is good! Now, I also begin to understand what people had been talking about layers on the sound. The separation of the sound which previously I cannot differentiate but now I can with the new cable. Now, I can hear the sound stage is wider, clearer and can hear the layers. I do not know how to describe layers of music but I can only understand it now.

Yet, I still not fully satisfied so I try out what I learn here about the modded blue. Wow! The high is even clearer without any veil at all and the bass just slam it onto your ear. I can hear some details which I previously did not hear with blue filter unmodded.

I do not know if ear had to be train. Personally, I had upgrade slowly so I start to learn to hear the difference in sound quality. Now, I know what is the sound quality that I prefer rather than which is better as some like warm sound which I like but not too warm. Now, the setup of Shure 846 with ALO sxc24 with modded blue and AK100 II is the best I have and feel satisfied. Dare not try Hugo or new earpiece like Angie or "Layer" (which I forget the spelling) as it might poison my ear and burn my pocket again. So now I just stick to my current setup.

That is all I can describe about it which I know it is not very good but just to share what I hear the difference.

May 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #11,203 of 22,954
The blue filter is the stock Shure sound.  Good bass, good mids, good treble.  Take out the filter material and it brightens up the trebles a bit with a slight lessening of the timbre (fullness).  The white filter takes out 2.5db of the bass, the result being more treble but less bass.  It has no material in it.  The black filter is bass bass bass.  Take out the material and they are still bass bass bass.  

Tips and seal matter as well.  If you can't hear a difference, make sure you have good seal.  Try the Olive tips, they tend to fit well.  

May 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #11,204 of 22,954
What are the differences between Blue, White and Blue Modded?

My ears really can't hear a difference between the blue modded and white yet.

If you can't tell the difference what does it matter what other people think?

May 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #11,205 of 22,954
What are the differences between Blue, White and Blue Modded?

My ears really can't hear a difference between the blue modded and white yet.

I think it also depends on the quality of the recording and the amplification/source used. I didn't notice a great deal of difference between the white and the modded blue coming directly from my AK120 but when I added the Glove amplification the differences increased. The modded blue became far too sibilant for my taste and I actually prefer the stock blue now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back