Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #11,177 of 22,960
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/480498.html

thanks

oh i see dam they do not ship internationally, any site that sells them and ships internationally

sometimes really it sucks when u do not have access to buy things internationally

May 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #11,178 of 22,960
  thanks

oh i see dam they do not ship internationally, any site that sells them and ships internationally

sometimes really it sucks when u do not have access to buy things internationally

Replacement nozzles came up a few weeks ago earlier in this thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/10545#post_11507289

You can do a google search for the product codes and see if anything pops up in your part of the world.  Where are you located?

But your best option would be to call or email shure directly, they don't advertise it but they will sell you a replacement set.

May 13, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #11,182 of 22,960
I've just added a GloveAudio A1 to my Titan and as a result the modded blue filters sound far too sibilant. I've switched to the black for the time being and the sound is really strong, but I'm going to put the foam back in the blue and try them. 

May 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #11,183 of 22,960
May 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #11,184 of 22,960
Spent two hours on my front porch looking out at the St Lawrence River today Hugo, 846, blue filters, dhc fusion, John dig weed live in Córdoba, sonic sensory sun shine bliss. I don't think I need Layla just yet.

May 15, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #11,186 of 22,960
  It's such a shame that my taste in music is so frequently poorly mastered and doesn't come close to doing the 846's justice. I spent some time today listening to 24 bit Alison Krauss stuff, and it was like nothing I've heard before. I obviously knew how good the 846's sounded, but I didn't know they could sound this good. Such a shame that so much music isn't as good as it could be because of the mastering. 

I'm in a similar position.  I listen mainly to live bootleg stuff - Dylan, Miles Davis - and old blues, etc.  You switch to some nicely recorded/mastered material with higher bit rate and you think "Wow - that's what these babies are capable of!"

I've recently switched from the modded blue to the black filter (macbook pro-chord hugo-846's with double flange shure tips - through audirvana software) and have been enjoying the added warmth. I can see myself eventually gravitating back to the modded blues though - there's a level of clarify with the modded blues you don't get with the black filter.

May 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #11,187 of 22,960
  I've just added a GloveAudio A1 to my Titan and as a result the modded blue filters sound far too sibilant. I've switched to the black for the time being and the sound is really strong, but I'm going to put the foam back in the blue and try them. 

What's your assessment after putting the foam back in the blues? 

May 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #11,188 of 22,960
An update- 

I rooted my Samsung Note 3 this afternoon and it took me all of about 20 minutes or less.  I then went to the XDA website to pull down the latest Viper4Android software.  

As I have said many times, this phone is a hiss beast with the 846.  Truck Driver, a level headed member, kindly suggested to check out this software and so I did.  Here is what I think after experimenting with many different settings (some like the surround just for fun).

1. If you are unwilling or unable to use a high quality DAP, Amp/DAC with the full balanced sound...and already own a Samsung Note 3, this is a must have.  It was worth the 20 minutes I spent and greatly reduced the hiss and seemed to unlock the DAC potential.

2. I did A/B both the 5th gen iPod touch and the Note 3 with Viper4Android on "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" by Porcupine Tree many times over.  The iPOD still wins in single ended configuration in my opinion.  It still has a lower noise floor and seems to have a slightly larger sound stage and to be more dynamic.  The good news is that it is not the canyon of difference it used to be.  It seems to be honestly better but I would not get bummed out if my iPod touch battery dies like I used to with the SE846.

- A brilliant song if you want to check it out live (I used a flac file for my comparison though).  It has quiet moments, big moments and overall goodness. (courtesy of Spook76)

3.  While the root and new software did dramatically improve the hiss problem, it is still there and still annoys me. It is low enough now though that I can forget about it after a while.  With the old setup, it drove me crazy.

4.  The RSA balanced amp/dac continues to improve both still.  I tried with a SE connector and the OTG USB and Camera Connector kit for both.  The RSA DAC, albeit lower resolution is better than both but more or less levels the playing field.  Through the single ended connector, the RSA balanced amp section to my SE846 seems to directionally improve both.  Again, I still prefer the the IPOD but it ended up being closer than I thought.  

Thanks Truck Driver!

I know this is an old ass quote but I'm catching up on old posts from a year ago.

This is so true. I have a Samsung S4 and luckily have no issue with hiss but occasionally I do get skips like a hiccup but its only a few times an hour.

Viper4Android is the main reason why I'll never leave Android. I know its on other devices but that single app will be my deciding factor when I get another phone. That and removable storage and battery.

V4A can turn the normally muddy se215 and make them into analytical IEM's that are similar to the ER4S with almost no distortion. Being as how little juice IEM's need there is a lot if room for shaping the sound. I just use a preset profile specifically for the 215,add in some high end sparkle, sub bass bump and call it done.

Sorry if this is off the current conversation.

May 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #11,189 of 22,960

What's your assessment after putting the foam back in the blues? 

the unmodded blues work really well with the A1, better than the black to my ears and much better than the modded blue.

Will try white again shortly but now occupied with the task of fitting a balanced connector to one of my cables...

May 15, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #11,190 of 22,960
Successfully fitted Kobiconn to my cables and am now listening to balanced output. The separation is better and the soundstage wider, the actual sound signature doesn't seem to have changed and I'm going to stick with the unmodded blues for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back