Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #11,162 of 22,960
  I just want to note something that I think is important when comparing the 846's to all of the CIEMs mentioned on this page. It's not that fair of a comparison. When the 846's came out it would've been more of a fair comparison (for some of them), but not so much anymore. The retail price of the 846's is still $1,000, but if you don't want to pay $1,000 and are somewhat patient, you can pick up a new pair (as I know many of us did) for under $800. I got mine to my door for $780. Say let's add in the cost of scs and silver litz cables (Let's call each of those $200 upgrades. So (quite roughly), you're looking at $1,180 for 846's that are quite like a CIEM. That price (also consider the price of ear impressions on top of the price of all those customs) is below all of the customs you guys mentioned. It's a very significant amount below some of them. I don't see why all of those JH CIEM's (the ones mentioned) wouldn't sound better than the 846's, they cost more. A lot more if you take away the silver litz cable. On top of that, with the 846's, you get way higher resale value if you wanted to go for those higher end CIEM's, and the tunable filters for everyone's sound signature preferences. 

Just my two cents that I don't think it's quite a fair comparison with some of the CIEMs mentioned. 

for me i am asking for comparisons with universal iems so no harm done to my question, especially when i can not audition iems and have to rely on feedback, its such a shame we do not have amazon, or local stores where i can audition iems

May 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #11,164 of 22,960
Apropos the recent conversation here about the earbud posts coming loose that lisztian420 kicked off--last night I changed out the filters for the first time since December, to see how the whites sound with my new AK120II, and discovered that the lock rings on my 846's had indeed started to come loose.  Each one was perhaps half-way unscrewed, and I feel lucky that I caught it before they had gone completely undone.

I've changed out the tips quite a few times in the past several months and didn't notice any loosening of the metal posts before.  This time, the gaps between the lock rings and earbuds caught my eye.  I had noticed that the SQ wasn't quite as delicious as I expected it to be with my upgraded DAP, and now I know why.  With the posts properly tightened down again, all is well.  I can't quite say whether they loosened up gradually, or suddenly, but I think I would have noticed whether the posts had any wiggle to them while changing tips.  Anyway, I'm definitely going to make sure the check the lock rings at least once a month from here on out.

BTW so far, I'm really liking the focus on vocals and melody that I'm getting from the white filters.  I've never been a huge bass head to begin with, but that's partially because I haven't had phones up to the task until recently.  I should also say that I think my slight hearing loss in the mid treble range is probably a factor here, since in effect the filters are undoubtedly EQ'ing some of that loss back.

May 11, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #11,165 of 22,960
As far as the recent iem discussion sort of showed, everyone hears differently, everyone has different sources, everyone has different source material, and everyone is looking for different sound signatures.

Thus, there is no "perfect" iem.  

I had considered a number of iems before settling on the 846, even though I had been told it lacked a bit of treble extension.  The 1+2 may be a bit harsh (I passed on a used one), the Layla is both too expensive and likely a bit too bass-y for my tastes, I considered the Ultimate Ears Reference but was worried it might have too flat a signature, thought about the 1964 V8, etc. etc.  

The 846 with no filters, in balanced mode and with Sensaphonics running out of a Pono with 16/44 or 24bit files fits my needs.  Yes, I'd like slightly (5% +/-) more treble extension on some tracks, but overall it really suits my tastes.  Today I was playing The Band's Music From Big Pink in 24bit and I was in hog heaven.  

For the price I'm very happy with the 846.  Is it the best?  There is no best.  It makes me happy to listen through it.  If I decide to look for something "better," I'll be sure to use it as a good reference point.  

Part of the problem of this hobby is that it's like drugs: we're always looking for a better high.  Sometimes you have to stop and enjoy what you have.  

May 12, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #11,166 of 22,960
Apropos the recent conversation here about the earbud posts coming loose that lisztian420 kicked off--last night I changed out the filters for the first time since December, to see how the whites sound with my new AK120II, and discovered that the lock rings on my 846's had indeed started to come loose.  Each one was perhaps half-way unscrewed, and I feel lucky that I caught it before they had gone completely

I've changed out the tips quite a few times in the past several months and didn't notice any loosening of the metal posts before.  This time, the gaps between the lock rings and earbuds caught my eye.  I had noticed that the SQ wasn't quite as delicious as I expected it to be with my upgraded DAP, and now I know why.  With the posts properly tightened down again, all is well.  I can't quite say whether they loosened up gradually, or suddenly, but I think I would have noticed whether the posts had any wiggle to them while changing tips.  Anyway, I'm definitely going to make sure the check the lock rings at least once a month from here on out.

BTW so far, I'm really liking the focus on vocals and melody that I'm getting from the white filters.  I've never been a huge bass head to begin with, but that's partially because I haven't had phones up to the task until recently.  I should also say that I think my slight hearing loss in the mid treble range is probably a factor here, since in effect the filters are undoubtedly EQ'ing some of that loss back.

Good job catching the loosen nozzles. I have also noticed how if the nozzles/lock rings aren't connected/sealed tightly against the iems, the sound will degradate... It normally takes a few tries for me to get them sealed tighly to my satisfaction.

I think silicon custom is really the way to go. It's so comfy and the seal is tight!!!
However, I have been extremely unlucky with the 846/scs combination. Got all my upgrades last February. Didn't get to use it for more than 30 days.

^.^short wonderful time for my ears!!

Now I think if any CustoM IEM companies would try making universal bodies and custom sillicon sleeves hybrid that would be awesome!!

May 12, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #11,167 of 22,960
when u remove the foam from the blue filter is there still part of a ring foam left inside or nothing at all, I mean once u remove u the foam do u see anything left in the filter

what happens if u loose those foams, can u put any foam instead or those special foams

May 12, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #11,168 of 22,960
from where can I buy extra set of filters mainly blue and black, just in case I loose them

May 12, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #11,169 of 22,960
when u remove the foam from the blue filter is there still part of a ring foam left inside or nothing at all, I mean once u remove u the foam do u see anything left in the filter

what happens if u loose those foams, can u put any foam instead or those special foams

Blues have a bottom foam in a casket.

May 12, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #11,170 of 22,960
May 12, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #11,171 of 22,960
  do u know where i can buy extra pairs of blue and black filters

Keeping mine safely in the metal screw filter holder. Shure themselves I assume.

May 12, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #11,172 of 22,960
i saw a link by someone where a shop sells those filters, but i can not find it in this thread , can someone link me to to where i can buy extra blue and black filters

May 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #11,173 of 22,960
Shure sells them. They are priced somewhat fairly... Please check my previous posts for info/links.

But I have to warn all potential 846 buyers that the customer service experience is just terrible. No honors... Sucks to have to deal with all this frustrations & resentments after spending a grand on a pair of headphones.

But at least I discovered a potential problem and I share here hoping that no one else have to learn It the hard way like I did...

May 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #11,174 of 22,960
i am sure someone put a link for buying those filter online here on this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back