Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #11,206 of 22,954
  The blue filter is the stock Shure sound.  Good bass, good mids, good treble.  Take out the filter material and it brightens up the trebles a bit with a slight lessening of the timbre (fullness).  The white filter takes out 2.5db of the bass, the result being more treble but less bass.  It has no material in it.  The black filter is bass bass bass.  Take out the material and they are still bass bass bass.  

Tips and seal matter as well.  If you can't hear a difference, make sure you have good seal.  Try the Olive tips, they tend to fit well.  

Waiting for my 846s to ship. 

Can the blue filter mod be un-modded?

Also, I heard that Sprial Dots do not fit on the 846.  Is this correct?
Cheers, Chris

May 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #11,207 of 22,954
Waiting for my 846s to ship. 

Can the blue filter mod be un-modded?

Also, I heard that Sprial Dots do not fit on the 846.  Is this correct?
Cheers, Chris

Yes the blue mod can be reversed very easily. Just make sure you keep both the little foams properly.

The spiral dots doesn't fit se846. But you can do a tip mod to achieve a fit.

May 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #11,209 of 22,954
Is there any downside using no filter at all? Maybe some earwax can get inside the driver? 

May 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #11,210 of 22,954
I use NO filters (not modded, no) and there's no downside as long as you like the sound sig.  You might not with the Hugo.  With my Pono and Sensaphonics they sound great. .  

May 17, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #11,211 of 22,954
  I use NO filters (not modded, no) and there's no downside as long as you like the sound sig.  You might not with the Hugo.  With my Pono and Sensaphonics they sound great. .  

First impression is positive. According to my ears, it seems that the treble extension is much better with no filters. Are there any graphs of the Shure SE846 without filters (i'm curious if the filters are indeed rolling off the upper frequencies).

But knowing me, I'll be back to white or blue filter next week. I seem to change the filters every week. 

May 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #11,212 of 22,954
I don't use graphs or math, I use my ears (but yes, the standard blue rolls off treble extension in the graph I saw- common complaint re this iem, you don't need a graph to hear it).  No filters SOUNDS good to me using the Pono in balanced mode with CD or 24 bit files and the Sensaphonics.  Certainly treble extension is increased, that's the whole purpose of doing it (for me).  My worry was losing timbre/bass, but other then perhaps slightly lessening the (in a good way) slightly syrupy mids of the blue filters (modded or unmodded), those areas seem strong to me.  And I think bass is punchier (distinct), less like what you see when you throw a rock in water and it ripples out.  I've had the filters out for a few months or more now, and the more I listen the more I like.  I can play The Beatles or Miles or David Grisman and the sound is quite lovely (to me).  

Try it for a week and get a feeling for what you are hearing.  I went back and forth from blue to white to blue mod for a while, but this has lasted with me.  

Note that the mastering of the music file can really be an issue with these iems.  I'll be playing something and be wondering, why does it sound like this, where's the excitement, and then I'll put something else on and WOW!, there's the excitement.  

May 17, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #11,213 of 22,954
What about no filters? I'm worried that it'll get wax in there or dirt or dust or whatever.

I have had a few IEM's without filters and not had any issues but they were TOTL so.. What's the going thoughts on this aside from sound?

May 17, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #11,214 of 22,954
What about no filters? I'm worried that it'll get wax in there or dirt or dust or whatever.

I have had a few IEM's without filters and not had any issues but they were TOTL so.. What's the going thoughts on this aside from sound?

With the SCS, there isn't a need to worry about wax, dirt, etc getting into the filter or nozzle/housing (filterless).

May 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #11,215 of 22,954
With the SCS, there isn't a need to worry about wax, dirt, etc getting into the filter or nozzle (filterless).

Sensaphonic Custom Sleeves = SCS?

What about the Westone Foamies?

I plan on getting some full sleeves but until then it's the best fit I can get so far. The Foamies hold better and isolate well. The olives do as well but I prefer the deeper foam of the red foams.

May 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #11,216 of 22,954
Sensaphonic Custom Sleeves = SCS?

What about the Westone Foamies?

I plan on getting some full sleeves but until then it's the best fit I can get so far. The Foamies hold better and isolate well. The olives do as well but I prefer the deeper foam of the red foams.

Correct, the SCS is the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves. You can check out my review in my signature and/or my profile to read up on it. Your "foamies" hold better than what, specifically? (I do not want to assume).

As for foams, they are susceptible to wax, dirt, dander, etc. entering the filter and/or nozzle (filterless), especially when working out, as the sweat from your body exasperates the wax, dirt, dander, etc. entering even more-so because of the porous/spongey composition of the foam sizes-fit-all tips.

May 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #11,217 of 22,954
Your "foamies" hold better than what, specifically? (I do not want to assume).

I'm on my phone at the moment so I'm not able to elaborate as clearly as I'd like sometimes.

I've tried the other tips ranging from shure to westone to others have collected over the years. I just all-round tend to prefer westone foams. Specifically the longer reds. They aren't as bright as the rubber but they isolate and hold in my ear better when working out.

Maybe I could take a small piece of felt and secure it as a filter if I go full afterburner.

May 17, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #11,218 of 22,954
I'm on my phone at the moment so I'm not able to elaborate as clearly as I'd like sometimes.

I've tried the other tips ranging from shure to westone to others have collected over the years. I just all-round tend to prefer westone foams. Specifically the longer reds. They aren't as bright as the rubber but they isolate and hold in my ear better when working out.

Maybe I could take a small piece of felt and secure it as a filter if I go full afterburner.

No worries - I appreciate the elaboration.

May 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #11,219 of 22,954
Unless you have lots of....stuff... in your ears I wouldn't worry about it.  Sweat?  Sure, but it can get in anything, filter or not.

The Sensaphonics remove all issues of anything except a worm crawling out of your brain into your ear and then up the canal of the Sensaphonic into the 846.  Pretty small worry there.  
smile.gif

May 17, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #11,220 of 22,954
  Unless you have lots of....stuff... in your ears I wouldn't worry about it.  Sweat?  Sure, but it can get in anything, filter or not.

The Sensaphonics remove all issues of anything except a worm crawling out of your brain into your ear and then up the canal of the Sensaphonic into the 846.  Pretty small worry there.  
smile.gif

I'm sure the Shure Warranty Service Agents will dispute that claim. :p

But yeah, the possibility of a piece of ear debris going all the way thru the plug and filter tube is pretty slim I'm sure and it should tap out if it does go into the driver area. My ears are generally pretty clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back