Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #10,981 of 22,945
Just some quick impression for SE846 (White tip, blue filter) with PHA-3 normal output via UAPP (DSD 2.8Mhz tracks)

ALO SXC 24 Earphone Cable
Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir Voice (Vocal) - Enhanced vocal
Human Nature - Unchained Melody (Vocal + Instrument) - nothing screaming here
Daft Punk - Get Lucky - Not working with this song.. just too much base, mid are lost

ALO SXC 8 Earphone Cable
Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir Voice (Vocal) - Vocal not as impactful
Human Nature - Unchained Melody (Vocal + Instrument) - best experience, excellent vocal and music
Daft Punk - Get Lucky - This is just... horrible.. base was destructed or way too much base

This is my first test with Silver cable.. make me wonder should i go down this route.

I have heard both. Dhc far better, just saying

May 1, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #10,982 of 22,945
If your music sounds crappy with a high-end iem,  and you think it's because you listen to poorly-recored bands, then maybe go back to Apple buds (not making fun here) or the like and see how it sounds with them.  Truthfully, although the 846 reveals all the good and bad of a recording, I find that a lot of the live stuff I have from soundboards sounds better with the 846 than with the Fidue A83 or the Dunu 1K or the Altone200.  I do find that the 846 will sound just ok with some tracks, and I begin to wonder about it, and then a good track comes on  and wow!!

May 1, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #10,983 of 22,945
  ok now i had it with the shure it just makes wonder shall i love it or hate it

honestly i do not know anymore

now can someone for gods sake tell me how the song below sounds any good on the shure 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1B_aIFPDE

i am really wondering if the majority of metal bands sound like that due to recording then whats teh use of buying high end iems, i am just hating how this song sounds on shure pure carp is what i hear

so how can someone enjoy such bands what shall i buy to enjoy listening to bands like that 

really i am fed up

as i know there are some artists that record great, but i am not a big fan of most artists that have great recording mastering recording out there, while the music i like is recorded like that one i linked so can i enjoy such music what is a better iem for such bad recordings

really guys help me

i have the shure, and ifi micro dsd, and alo mk3 

is that shure  the problem here or what that makes me hate the music i love

I'm wondering if you missed the comments that follow the Youtube post.  One guy points out that the recording is in MONO, and others post about the poor bitrate.  I'm not sure the source in this case is one you should use for making an informed decision about the SE846.

May 2, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #10,984 of 22,945
Just got my se846 a week ago and love them, but feel like they are too efficient.  On my iphone 6+ 2 or 3 of 16 possible volume bars is really loud.  On my macbook pro 2014, 1 or 2 volume bars of 16 possible is plenty.

Does anyone else use their 8s on these devices that can share their listening volume level?
Has anyone calculated or measured SPL for these devices?

Normally I listen at 
iPhone 6+ = 2/16 vol
Macbook pro = 1/2 of 1 bar to 1 bar of 16 possible levels.

May 2, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #10,985 of 22,945
  ok now i had it with the shure it just makes wonder shall i love it or hate it

honestly i do not know anymore

now can someone for gods sake tell me how the song below sounds any good on the shure 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1B_aIFPDE

i am really wondering if the majority of metal bands sound like that due to recording then whats teh use of buying high end iems, i am just hating how this song sounds on shure pure carp is what i hear

so how can someone enjoy such bands what shall i buy to enjoy listening to bands like that 

really i am fed up

as i know there are some artists that record great, but i am not a big fan of most artists that have great recording mastering recording out there, while the music i like is recorded like that one i linked so can i enjoy such music what is a better iem for such bad recordings

really guys help me

i have the shure, and ifi micro dsd, and alo mk3 

is that shure  the problem here or what that makes me hate the music i love

I tested with my PHA-3 and Shure SE846 and this youtube clip actually sounded quite awesome. (despite not my usual music taste).

I can hear the guitar, vocal quite clearly.

Try just using the headphone and the pc speaker, than with your ifi and see how it goes. You can also try change out the filter to see if it helps.

May 2, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #10,986 of 22,945
Just got my se846 a week ago and love them, but feel like they are too efficient.  On my iphone 6+ 2 or 3 of 16 possible volume bars is really loud.  On my macbook pro 2014, 1 or 2 volume bars of 16 possible is plenty.

Does anyone else use their 8s on these devices that can share their listening volume level?
Has anyone calculated or measured SPL for these devices?

Normally I listen at 
iPhone 6+ = 2/16 vol
Macbook pro = 1/2 of 1 bar to 1 bar of 16 possible levels.

Use the included volume control adapter, or buy an amp

May 2, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #10,987 of 22,945
  I tested with my PHA-3 and Shure SE846 and this youtube clip actually sounded quite awesome. (despite not my usual music taste).

I can hear the guitar, vocal quite clearly.

Try just using the headphone and the pc speaker, than with your ifi and see how it goes. You can also try change out the filter to see if it helps.

Agreed, the drums just died for some reason....

He needs to explain what he means by bad.....

May 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #10,988 of 22,945

Agreed, the drums just died for some reason....

He needs to explain what he means by bad.....

I think could be the recording of the base is soft. SE846 usually doesn't associate with weak base....

May 2, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #10,989 of 22,945
  I think could be the recording of the base is soft. SE846 usually doesn't associate with weak base....

Tested another clip from Nuclear Blast Record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGlO2Ssqwk same issue with the weak bass from the drummer (but bass guitar is strong)

Compare with 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FA1Z8plyk strong bass from drum

I think this somewhat show the issue with bass recording. In this cause you might want to look at EQ.

May 2, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #10,990 of 22,945
No issues with bass. No issues with hiss. Perfect everytime

May 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #10,991 of 22,945
Don't like saying this, but I've run into various posts by this gentleman.  He has owned a few pieces of high-end gear and can never get enough bass out of his equipment no matter how fanaticly he tries.  I really don't think anyone can really help him.
I think your advice would be the right way for him to go, Olddude.

May 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #10,992 of 22,945
  Don't like saying this, but I've run into various posts by this gentleman.  He has owned a few pieces of high-end gear and can never get enough bass out of his equipment no matter how fanaticly he tries.  I really don't think anyone can really help him.
I think your advice would be the right way for him to go, Olddude.

i am not complaining bout bass my freind, i just find it hard to listen to such bands on shure 846, as i find it a little irritating in means of the sound in general, its not the bass here, and the shure 846 is my only high end iem, so i was wondering if other iems would be more musical or forgiving with such recordings or music types

by the way the shure has more than enough bass for me :)

yes i struggled with chord hugo bass when hooked to my audeze lcd2 but that is another story and got easily solved by replacing the hugo with ifi dsd and alo mk3 amp

May 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #10,993 of 22,945
  If your music sounds crappy with a high-end iem,  and you think it's because you listen to poorly-recored bands, then maybe go back to Apple buds (not making fun here) or the like and see how it sounds with them.  Truthfully, although the 846 reveals all the good and bad of a recording, I find that a lot of the live stuff I have from soundboards sounds better with the 846 than with the Fidue A83 or the Dunu 1K or the Altone200.  I do find that the 846 will sound just ok with some tracks, and I begin to wonder about it, and then a good track comes on  and wow!!

with all respect i am not making fun of the shure 846, and its the only iem i have, so i am just wondering how can i enjoy such bad recordings better than i do with shure

i know the shure shines with good recordings but with such bad recordings it does not shine, as i expect other iems maybe will do the same as the shure

i was just wondering if there are maybe other iems that can handle bad recordings differnetly

May 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #10,994 of 22,945
Like I said.  Don't spend a lot of money, just get some bottom-line iems to listen to those tracks that would sound good on them.  Then use your 846 for the good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back