Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #14,026 of 22,945
I own and i’ve tried the SE846 with the iPhone 4s/5s/6, rMBP, fiio e12a, Chord Mojo, AK240, Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet and AudioQuest DragonFly and experimented with various combinations. The Chord Mojo and AK240 are quite phenomenal paired with other headphones I own. I use SXC 24 from ALO Audio which certainly adds a bit of a shimmer. I’ve yet to remove the foam from the blue filter. I’m actually very sensitive to treble. I listen to drum and bass, dubstep and deep house mostly. I hate sibilance and I’m particularly sensitive to snares at 8khz. I find the SE846 very smooth with very low levels of distortion but instruments to my ears lack upper harmonics which the SE846 can inherently not produce whatever equipment I throw at it. It is these upper harmonics that gives everything definition and realism. I realise I’m probably in a minority with my views. Theres truly a lot of wonderful things about the SE846 but the way it conveys those higher frequencies is not one of them in my opinion. I will try removing the foam - thx for the tip. My issue is not with making it more or less ‘bright’. Boosting EQ or using the white filter just accentuates what is already there. It doesn’t add fine detail imo. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #14,027 of 22,945
  I own and i’ve tried the SE846 with the iPhone 4s/5s/6, rMBP, fiio e12a, Chord Mojo, AK240, Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet and AudioQuest DragonFly and experimented with various combinations. The Chord Mojo and AK240 are quite phenomenal paired with other headphones I own. I use SXC 24 from ALO Audio which certainly adds a bit of a shimmer. I’ve yet to remove the foam from the blue filter. I’m actually very sensitive to treble. I listen to drum and bass, dubstep and deep house mostly. I hate sibilance and I’m particularly sensitive to snares at 8khz. I find the SE846 very smooth with very low levels of distortion but instruments to my ears lack upper harmonics which the SE846 can inherently not produce whatever equipment I throw at it. It is these upper harmonics that gives everything definition and realism. I realise I’m probably in a minority with my views. Theres truly a lot of wonderful things about the SE846 but the way it conveys those higher frequencies is not one of them in my opinion. I will try removing the foam - thx for the tip. My issue is not with making it more or less ‘bright’. Boosting EQ or using the white filter just accentuates what is already there. It doesn’t add fine detail imo. 

Just do the blue filter mod,it might surprise you
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #14,028 of 22,945
Definitely take out the foam from those blue filters, but also (IMHO, more important than the choice of DAP/cable) play with every kind of tip and fit that you can (maybe even including Sensaphonics custom sleeves?!). Everybody's ear canals are different, so there's no shortcuts here - you really have to try every possible combination for yourself. I use Monster's supertip sleeves as extenders with the Shure olives - for me they give a better, deeper seal and I'm able to direct the nozzles at a better angle.

But, yes there have been a few sad stories of posters who've left this thread for more trebly pastures :frowning2: Worst case scenario - if nothing works out for you with the SE846, Shure now has another product that will probably give you what you're looking for. And it only costs $2000 more :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #14,029 of 22,945
There is treble on the Shure SE846. Calling it non existent is not accurate.

But best is to buy something else if you want treble.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #14,030 of 22,945
There is treble on the Shure SE846. Calling it non existent is not accurate. The treble is simply laidback on the background.
Well people have to find an excuse inorder to feel justifide in forking out anothe 1000 Dollars for a quick smile until another excuse comes up.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #14,031 of 22,945
Please write in here how hd800 different and comparison to se846 wheb used with Hugo

I don't really see it useful to compare the Shure SE846 to the HD 800 S. The HD 800 S is in a much higher league.

The only area were the Shure SE846 wins is sub bass quanity but that can be fixed with an EQ. Then the Shure SE846 gets beaten in every single area.

It would be more fair to compare the Shure SE846 to portable closed headphones or other IEM's (the TH900 doesn't count because it has no isolation and also not really portable)

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #14,032 of 22,945
Very simply put: HD800 = the standard in soundstage and imaging.
SE846 = it's biggest weakness is soundstage.

not much of a fight. :p

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #14,033 of 22,945
I don't know why people complain about treble on the SE846 ? I have used the blue filter mod and currently connected the norne audio therium silver cable.
I have the full band of frequencies. Nice and present, not overpronounced - just the way it is supposed to be.
But yes if you look for colored sounds with some treble boosted signatures you might want to check some other IEM's out.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #14,034 of 22,945
An iem is an iem. Frankly you want imaging, sub bass and slam. Invest in TT and th900. Course the 900 has some recessed Mids that 846 doesn't. The TT has the Mids to power through th900 and create beautiful detail. It's just not fair to compare 846 to an overhear. I will detail th900 to hd800s. 846 in my opinion is a nice portable with Hugo or my phone. The TT is for over ear.
The 846 has some strong Mids to it, it does not need more high, IMO.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #14,036 of 22,945
Still one of my favorite combo, the bass of this combo...soooo good.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #14,037 of 22,945
With blue filter mod, for me, se846 paid with mojo has nice treble, comfortable, without sibilance, and just eight high notes, Angie did it better, but 846 beat th900, grado 1000, nighthawk,

If 846 beat th900, and I use this term loosely, mojo does not scale the th900 properly at all. IMO.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #14,040 of 22,945
Wow. I think i should try the blue mod on my shure 846!

I own mojo, ps1000e, gs1000e, 846 and previously owned th900. IMHO, 846 is not comparable to any of those full size cans. Grado vs shure 846 they have totally diff signature. On some tracks, i definitely prefer using 846. But if both set with the correct track..to my ears grado is technically superior no doubt about it. Speaking of realisticness level..shure 846 is nothing compared to grado. This is my personal opinion only! TH900 is more comparable to shure bcos of its meaty presentation. But also, IMHO, they have a diff signature as well. Unlike 846, th900s have deep and wide bass (too wide for me) but super clean one. And the highs on th900s have that sparkle which makes the sound is a lot more fun to listen. And speaking in term of SQ performance alone, honestly, i would also say th900 technically superior to 846. Again, based on my ears.

I love my shure846 for its smoothness, clean enough yummy and milky signature . Sometimes i like to listen to this kind of sound. Thats why i keep it. Eventhou personally i prefer Angie for my taste.

The blue filter mod of 846 really interest me. I will find more about it. Sounds like so much improvements with this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back