Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #14,011 of 22,945

The blue reminds me of the NuForce Primo 8! Hope the colour stays longer on the Shures' than that on the NuForces'.

The blue really does need to be seen in person.  It's quite eye catching and has an almost chameleon-like effect where it seems to shimmer.  I don't know what to call it, but it reminds me of the paint job you'd find on a really high end Italian car.  

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #14,012 of 22,945
Se846 thread has been very slow, is our beloved IEM getting dumped off?

How long until shure improves a new model?

I've tried various iems and headphones and it's making me really appreciate se846, it's crazy but after a lot of testing.. I keep smiling with this on.

Even tho, initially it did not impress...i guess I was looking for *wow* sound... Well... Still haven't received it... But this is good. For a while

My friend you have had the 8s for what a month? There is no question the SE846 was a huge success for Shure and in the Head-Fi community. I have owned the 8s since the first batch back in August of 2013 and I believe I was the second or third to post on this thread and still the 8s thrill me. Shure typically has very long product cycles like Sennheiser. I would not expect a successor to the 8s (if the KSE 1500 is not the successor) for at least another year.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #14,013 of 22,945
Year? I'll bet years...IMO. Dec 13 for myself, still can't bring myself to even try another brand...

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #14,014 of 22,945
Another satisfied SE846 user here. I got mine now for over 13 months and I still love them. I wonder if changing the stock cable would improve the sound, but still haven't bought one. So I got the feeling there is still some room for improvement left. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #14,015 of 22,945
Another satisfied SE846 user here. I got mine now for over 13 months and I still love them. I wonder if changing the stock cable would improve the sound, but still haven't bought one. So I got the feeling there is still some room for improvement left. 

That's why I do it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #14,017 of 22,945
Year? I'll bet years...IMO. Dec 13 for myself, still can't bring myself to even try another brand...

Whazzup,out of curiosity,do you see further scaling of SE846 when going from hugo to TT assuming you've done the pairing?

I'll have to try, give me a few. Th900 absolutely better

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #14,018 of 22,945

Whazzup,out of curiosity,do you see further scaling of SE846 when going from hugo to TT assuming you've done the pairing?

I'll have to try, give me a few. Th900 absolutely better

Used 32 bit 384 fr between the two. It would be difficult to say scaling ( by that I mean more authority or power) makes so much of a difference. However the TT dac in itself is just plain better than Hugo, so yes the 846 sounds better on TT. But it's not as dramatic a change as th900. It's a more full, slightly darker, representation. I think it's because the 846 is easy to drive it doesn't sound to bad on my iPhone six plus, used it coming home from a maple leaf game, but use Hugo pretty exclusive as portable for 846, TT rules the desk now and th900. Still waiting for hd800s delivery in the next few.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #14,019 of 22,945
Used 32 bit 384 fr between the two. It would be difficult to say scaling ( by that I mean more authority or power) makes so much of a difference. However the TT dac in itself is just plain better than Hugo, so yes the 846 sounds better on TT. But it's not as dramatic a change as th900. It's a more full, slightly darker, representation. I hint it's because the 846 is easy to drive it doesn't sound to bad on my iPhone six plus, used it coming home from a maple leaf game, but use Hugo pretty exclusive as portable for 846, TT rules the desk know and th900. Still waiting for hd800s delivery in the next few.

Thanks for taking the time.It's just that i was very surprised with the jump in performance when i got the cable with the TRRS plug for ZX2 that painted a completely different picture of se846.This thing is a detail monster.The same impression from someone going balanced with Onkyo DP-X1.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #14,020 of 22,945
Used 32 bit 384 fr between the two. It would be difficult to say scaling ( by that I mean more authority or power) makes so much of a difference. However the TT dac in itself is just plain better than Hugo, so yes the 846 sounds better on TT. But it's not as dramatic a change as th900. It's a more full, slightly darker, representation. I think it's because the 846 is easy to drive it doesn't sound to bad on my iPhone six plus, used it coming home from a maple leaf game, but use Hugo pretty exclusive as portable for 846, TT rules the desk now and th900. Still waiting for hd800s delivery in the next few.

Please write in here how hd800 different and comparison to se846 wheb used with Hugo

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #14,021 of 22,945
I've had the Shure SE846 for three weeks now and I'm really disappointed. My intention isn’t to come on here and hate because theres a lot I like about the SE846. Instrument separation is great. Soundstage width and depth is also good with a 3D effect to instrumentation that I haven’t come across before. Bass is punchy and does in fact go super low as stated by Shure and mids are lush and intimate. However treble is severely lacking. I really wasn’t expecting a detail monster and I’m not here to complain about price to performance ratio because the SE846 is special in many ways. I payed £729 for my pair and I would of happily payed an extra £250 for extra clarity in the upper registers.  

I expected treble to be rolled off from reading so many reviews prior to purchase but the fact is the SE846 doesn’t produce upper harmonics that give instruments texture and realism - at least to my ears. Theres a difference between ‘rolled off’ and non-existent. The white filters certainly add more air and edge but theres something rather unnatural about the presentation - you can’t EQ boost something that doesn’t exist in the first place. I've tried every single stock tip and I can produce good seal and isolation with stock foam and olives so it really isn’t the fit. I actually find the SE846 very comfortable. Ive tried several amps and DACs and I simply can’t get that resolving clarity and fine detail I’m looking for. Its all good talking about bass/mid and treble presentation as very distinct things but a headphone is also a sum of all its parts and unfortunately the SE846 is lacking in fine detail due to its non existent treble.   

Before you all jump on me as to what amps/dacs and various sources i’ve used you can rest assured I own dozens of good, capable amps/dacs and music players. I've also tried different high quality cables and non-stock tips (including westone star tips) and my conclusions remain. I could go into more detail about equipment if anyone wants me to but I should probably leave it for another post.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #14,022 of 22,945
  I've had the Shure SE846 for three weeks now and I'm really disappointed. My intention isn’t to come on here and hate because theres a lot I like about the SE846. Instrument separation is great. Soundstage width and depth is also good with a 3D effect to instrumentation that I haven’t come across before. Bass is punchy and does in fact go super low as stated by Shure and mids are lush and intimate. However treble is severely lacking. I really wasn’t expecting a detail monster and I’m not here to complain about price to performance ratio because the SE846 is special in many ways. I payed £729 for my pair and I would of happily payed an extra £250 for extra clarity in the upper registers.  

I expected treble to be rolled off from reading so many reviews prior to purchase but the fact is the SE846 doesn’t produce upper harmonics that give instruments texture and realism - at least to my ears. Theres a difference between ‘rolled off’ and non-existent. The white filters certainly add more air and edge but theres something rather unnatural about the presentation - you can’t EQ boost something that doesn’t exist in the first place. I've tried every single stock tip and I can produce good seal and isolation with stock foam and olives so it really isn’t the fit. I actually find the SE846 very comfortable. Ive tried several amps and DACs and I simply can’t get that resolving clarity and fine detail I’m looking for. Its all good talking about bass/mid and treble presentation as very distinct things but a headphone is also a sum of all its parts and unfortunately the SE846 is lacking in fine detail due to its non existent treble.   

Before you all jump on me as to what amps/dacs and various sources i’ve used you can rest assured I own dozens of good, capable amps/dacs and music players. I've also tried different high quality cables and non-stock tips (including westone star tips) and my conclusions remain. I could go into more detail about equipment if anyone wants me to but I should probably leave it for another post.

Can you list some of the daps/dacs that you listened with se846?That might put things into perspective.Also take the foam out of the blue filters to gain clarity.The treble of se846 is tremendously detailed and better than my ie800 although it rolls off after a point to provide a fatigue free listening experience.Of course if you are a treble-natic the se846 is not for you,this is not the signature shure was going for with se846.But as far as treble detail?It is spectacular once you pair it with something like ZX2 +TRRS or Onkyo DP-X1 balanced.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #14,025 of 22,945

A fair complaint, many who are seeking more treble eventually move on to other IEMs, like UERM or Angie. I like the 846 for what it is, their addictive bass/mids tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back