Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #12,226 of 22,945
^^^

I don't have my SE846 on hand now (not at home atm), but aren't those rings underneath the removable nozzle? If I'm not mistaking, they're there to prevent the nozzle's thread to be damaged by screwing it on too tight, so the seal and therefore the sound shouldn't be affected by them.

How did you even lose them?

Want to bet some money?

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #12,227 of 22,945
If you'd read my whole post you'd know that I was referring to hykhleif, John. My last sentence makes it obvious, imo.
As I'm not at home atm I have to use my BlackBerry's keyboard and am surfing on the mobile Head-Fi website, so I'm not able to respond as quick as at home as I have to scroll carefully and so on (though I am a slower writer on my PC's keyboard), wherefore you responded faster than me and I didn't think editing my post would be necessary as it seemed clear to me that I wasn't referring to you.

Edit: I've rethought it a little and yes, it's between the cable and MMCCX connectors. On the nozzle, that rubber ring prevents the thread from too much pressure and ensures a good seal.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #12,228 of 22,945
  I don't think hiss is that big of a problem unless you listen to your music with no volume...

I think it's more about what type of music you listen to than what volume you listen at.  My taste is generally towards acoustic and classical stuff, which can have a number of quiet or silent passages during which you can hear the hiss regardless of how much you crank it up.  It's definitely noticeable and definitely an annoyance for me.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #12,229 of 22,945
If you'd read my whole post you'd know that I was referring to hykhleif, John. My last sentence makes it obvious, imo.
As I'm not at home atm I have to use my BlackBerry's keyboard and am surfing on the mobile Head-Fi website, so I'm not able to respond as quick as at home as I have to scroll carefully and so on (though I am a slower writer on my PC's keyboard), wherefore you responded faster than me and I didn't think editing my post would be necessary as it seemed clear to me that I wasn't referring to you.

Edit: I've rethought it a little and yes, it's between the cable and MMCCX connectors. On the nozzle, that rubber ring prevents the thread from too much pressure and ensures a good seal.

ok

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #12,230 of 22,945
Has anyone tried the Geek Out IEM 100 with these?  It seems to be intended for use with highly sensitive IEMs, but I'm having a hard time finding many opinions about that particular model (and especially the noise floor).

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #12,231 of 22,945
I hear no resemblance of a hiss with my X5/E12A/8's. So if I were to drop the cash for a Chord Hugo, I'd be able hear a  hiss along with the high price tag??? I would surely think I'd be able to hear a hiss without having to spend that kind of money.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #12,232 of 22,945
  I hear no resemblance of a hiss with my X5/E12A/8's. So if I were to drop the cash for a Chord Hugo, I'd be able hear a  hiss along with the high price tag??? I would surely think I'd be able to hear a hiss without having to spend that kind of money.

You'd be able to hear your empty wallet flapping in the wind

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #12,233 of 22,945
Some people do, some don't, all depends on your suscepitibilty to high pitched noises... I am afflicted, basically the Hugo is to me like a halogen lamp in a dark room when it comes to the SE846... To others, it isn't... Best idea is to grab a demo in a quiet room, don't plug any source into it, and listen...

It does NOT detract from the music, so I kind of class it as the static you have between tracks on an LP...

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #12,234 of 22,945
I kind of class it as the static you have between tracks on an LP...

For you kids out there, he means those thingies that were 12 inches across, black, spun around, and had lines in them that people in the olden days used to listen to music on with some sort of a needle thing. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #12,236 of 22,945
Has anyone tried the Geek Out IEM 100 with these?  It seems to be intended for use with highly sensitive IEMs, but I'm having a hard time finding many opinions about that particular model (and especially the noise floor).

I use mine with a Geek Out 450 at fairly low volume levels and they sound swell. This doesn't answer if the IEM 100 has enough power but if I had to guess it would be oh sure, plenty.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #12,238 of 22,945
Any 846 owners have the Roku 3 with the headphone output in the remote control? I'm thinking about grabbing one, but want to know if there is much noise floor or other sonic issues when paired with the 846. 

Damn genius idea to put a headphone jack on a remote, IMO. But who knows how quality the implementation is...

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #12,239 of 22,945
I use mine with a Geek Out 450 at fairly low volume levels and they sound swell. This doesn't answer if the IEM 100 has enough power but if I had to guess it would be oh sure, plenty.

Thanks for the opinion.  I'm not worried about enough power, I'm actually worried essentially about the opposite.  Most DAC/AMP combos I've tried have a hard time with the SE846 because it's difficult to adjust the volume since even a tiny bump will drive them to deafening levels.  Analog volume pots with channel imbalance issues at quiet volumes are also a bit of an issue.

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #12,240 of 22,945

Thanks for the opinion.  I'm not worried about enough power, I'm actually worried essentially about the opposite.  Most DAC/AMP combos I've tried have a hard time with the SE846 because it's difficult to adjust the volume since even a tiny bump will drive them to deafening levels.  Analog volume pots with channel imbalance issues at quiet volumes are also a bit of an issue.

I would suggest spending a bit more and getting the X3ii or X5ii. These are great DAPs for SE846 and can also be used as USB DAC with your laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back