Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #12,256 of 22,945
"(chris_himself cables do not count, in my opinion)"  I ordered a cable for my TF10 a few years ago from Chris, but Ted made the cable.  I just ordered a balanced cable for my Pono/UERM directly from Ted, as he's no longer affiliated with Chris. 

Why would you reshell an 846, instead why not just get Sensaphonic sleeves?  

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #12,257 of 22,945
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #12,258 of 22,945
I know it's a common questio but will the se846 really use its full potential with a smartphone? Would it be wise to just buy the se535 red instead? I'm planning on buying an iPhone pretty soon. I'm just not sure that I'll be using the 846 to it's max potential

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #12,260 of 22,945
Ah ok. I used to have the Shure e5c and i still remember the details(this was over 5 years ago). I know either option wont fail me but i think I'll start with the 535. I always have 30 days to try them. I just cant see myself spending a grand on a pair of headphones yet. Lol

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #12,263 of 22,945
So I've been trying to contact the local SCS audiologist for the past week without any luck. I'm assuming that perhaps he's on vacation. I was hoping to get these wrapped up before the start of the fall semester at school. Once Sept. 1st hits, I may have to wait until sometime around Xmas.
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #12,264 of 22,945
  So I've been trying to contact the local SCS audiologist for the past week without any luck. I'm assuming that perhaps he's on vacation. I was hoping to get these wrapped up before the start of the fall semester at school. Once Sept. 1st hits, I may have to wait until sometime around Xmas.
frown.gif

Where approximately do you reside?  There may be another audiologist (hopefully Gold Circle) around your area that I can refer you to.  If you do not want to publicly disclose your area, you can as an alternative, PM me.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #12,265 of 22,945

Where approximately do you reside?  There may be another audiologist (hopefully Gold Circle) around your area that I can refer you to.  If you do not want to disclose your area, you can as an alternative, PM me.

I'm in RI. The audiologist in Dedham, MA is who I would like to connect with, since he's highly regarded and we spoke toward the end of 2014 about the process and pricing. The next closest is in CT about an hour and a half away, and I don't believe they're Gold Circle. There are no authorized audiologist in RI.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #12,266 of 22,945
  I'm in RI. The audiologist in Dedham, MA is who I would like to connect with, since he's highly regarded and we spoke toward the end of 2014 about the process and pricing. The next closest is in CT about an hour and a half away, and I don't believe they're Gold Circle. There are no authorized audiologist in RI.

In addition to getting in touch with Sensaphonics Gold Circle Audiologist, Dr. Brian Fligor from Musicians’ Hearing Program/Boston Audiology Consultants in Dedham, MA - if you aren't able to get in touch with him, you can get in touch with audiologist Ms. Daly (not a Sensaphonics Gold Circle Audiologist) in nearby to Dedham, Concord.  Here is her info:

Otolaryngology Group
Barbara Daly
131 Old Rd to 9 Acre Corner # 490
Concord, MA 01742 (Google Maps link)
(978) 371-1400

You can also print out this: http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf and show the directions to an audiologist in your area who has experience with creating molds for CIEMs and/or hearing aids in case Dr. Fligor and Ms. Daly aren't able to be reached.

Hope this helps, and good luck!ail

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #12,267 of 22,945
Thanks Moe!

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #12,268 of 22,945
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #12,269 of 22,945
I did exactly that with my 535 to 846 move! It's funny with this hobby how quickly that number of "I can't see myself spending x on audio" will increase, and by funny I mean financially terrifying.

I just got the 535. I think I'm jumping to the 846. I just got myself out of debt and already spending money on stuff... damn... Lol

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #12,270 of 22,945

Has anyone tried the Geek Out IEM 100 with these?  It seems to be intended for use with highly sensitive IEMs, but I'm having a hard time finding many opinions about that particular model (and especially the noise floor).

Coincidentally, I've got the Geek Out 100 IEM here for review (picked it up today) and am having a listening session now with the SE846 after I've just installed the drivers. :D

If your operating system is Windows, I highly advise against using the regular Windows volume mixer located in the bottom right. Instead, you should use the Light Harmonic Control Panel (which is installed automatically along the driver installation) for volume adjustment as it is much more precise than the stock Windows one.

One thing that may be interesting: if you are very sensitive to hiss, the Geek Out IEM 100 probably isn't the best match for the SE846 (which is extremely hiss-revealing) if you are listening in a very quiet environment at very low volume levels most of the time. It is not even bothering at all (IEM 100's hiss level is much lower than with the DX50 I used to own), though present in quiet passages and very low listening levels. Hiss level is about a bit less than double the amount of the first generation FiiO X3's hiss level and therefore still on the low side, but I'll need more time to evaluate it better.

But so far, my first impression of the Geek Out IEM 100 (in combination with the SE846, haven't tested with others yet) is very good, not to say awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back