Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #12,271 of 22,945
This forum has caused me to have my entire music (well...almost entire) collection stored on both of my laptops. Why? Because I've been influenced to believe that that is what head-fier's do. However, I will most likely never listen to the music stored on my laptops. One is basically a desktop replacement/gaming rig that I had built (with 32GB of RAM) , and the other is my ASUS transformer with a 128GB SD card that my music is stored on (it's more school friendly). I know that I can use the X5 as a USB DAC to listen to music that's on my PC, but if I'm carrying my X5 around, then why wouldn't I just listen to the music that's stored on the X5?
This place is an Evil Money Pit! I refuse to succumb to it's treacherous influence! I do not need another DAP, amp or a pair of Angie's. My gear is good enough! And damn it...I like it! lol

smile.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #12,273 of 22,945
Hey guys. I returned my Teac DAC. I decided it was not portable enough for my tastes. It sounded great but it was kinda big. Not to mention it kept charging my android phone which would shorten the battery life to about 30 minutes which was just terrible.

Not sure what to do next in regards to a portable dac. Ive considered getting a new smartphone - just not sure what get yet.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #12,276 of 22,945
@karljs You're welcome!

Regarding hiss, it also depends on how sensitive you are - not everybody is equally sensitive towards hiss, even when using the same IEMs, that what I've experienced over the years.
I am not saying the GOIEM100 has got a lot of hiss because it certainly doesn't, but with the SE846 (which is among the most hiss-revealing IEMs in my collection) it is audible in quiet passages and when the volume is rather low. It's got clearly less hiss than my FiiO E6 and DIY cMoy. Probably as much hiss as the iPhone 4 straight out of the jack. Probably a bit more than the Beyerdynamic A 200 p.
Even though, if you listen at moderate or even high volume levels, hiss most likely won't be audible for you (and it isn't for me) with the GOIEM100-SE846 combination, even if you are very sensitive to hiss.

I also tested with the Triple.Fi 10 which is still a very sensitive IEM - only very little hiss. Gotta try some of my other IEMs in the following days, but as I said, the SE846 is like the Columbo of detecting hiss, and I even know people who don't hear hiss with the SE846 straight from a FiiO X5 (first generation) as they are people who are not hiss-sensitive and even though, the GOIEM100 is still on the rather low side of hiss, but not my first choice for listening at low levels with the SE846.

Anyhow, you've gotta try it yourself as only your ears can tell you whether it is right for you or not.
I for my part can say (though it's definitely a bit early for a final conclusion) that the GOIEM100 is a hell of a great piece of technology.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #12,278 of 22,945
On the subject of hiss.....

I just today received my SE846.  As of this writing, I sit here with them plugged directly into my X5II and playing away.  They have perhaps only but two and a half hours on them...so clearly there's been precious little burn-in (if burn-in is even a factor for the SE846). They are still set up dead stock......the factory-installed foamy eartips (not a big fan of those in general) and the factory-installed neutral tube.

I am very sensitive to hiss and hissy, out-of-control, overly strident high ends. It's not that I don't like highs...I just don't like poorly recorded and then poorly reproduced noise passing itself off as highs. Nothing turns me off faster than a lot of painful nasty generic hiss where there ought to be sizzle.

All of that said......I really hear little if any hiss at all.  Most of the time I DON'T hear any. Every now and then I think I catch a wisp here and there....but I've not yet been able to prove it.  I've a number of recordings with a certain level of recorded hiss and they reproduce as expected....but I've yet to really find any other to speak of at all. In view of the relative impedances, I had expected to get at least some....but it's just not there.

All in all....I am terribly happy with these so far.  Tomorrow I'll play with eartips (but I think this is my size already) and tubes. I suspect I may possibly end up going to the black tube...I know I certainly don't want anything brighter than the blue tube is showing me at present.

If anyone was worried about the possibility hiss, at least on the X5II it isn't an issue.

....sT

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #12,279 of 22,945
X5ii is a very quiet unit.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #12,280 of 22,945
  On the subject of hiss.....

I just today received my SE846.  As of this writing, I sit here with them plugged directly into my X5II and playing away.  They have perhaps only but two and a half hours on them...so clearly there's been precious little burn-in (if burn-in is even a factor for the SE846). They are still set up dead stock......the factory-installed foamy eartips (not a big fan of those in general) and the factory-installed neutral tube.

I am very sensitive to hiss and hissy, out-of-control, overly strident high ends. It's not that I don't like highs...I just don't like poorly recorded and then poorly reproduced noise passing itself off as highs. Nothing turns me off faster than a lot of painful nasty generic hiss where there ought to be sizzle.

All of that said......I really hear little if any hiss at all.  Most of the time I DON'T hear any. Every now and then I think I catch a wisp here and there....but I've not yet been able to prove it.  I've a number of recordings with a certain level of recorded hiss and they reproduce as expected....but I've yet to really find any other to speak of at all. In view of the relative impedances, I had expected to get at least some....but it's just not there.

All in all....I am terribly happy with these so far.  Tomorrow I'll play with eartips (but I think this is my size already) and tubes. I suspect I may possibly end up going to the black tube...I know I certainly don't want anything brighter than the blue tube is showing me at present.

If anyone was worried about the possibility hiss, at least on the X5II it isn't an issue.

....sT

I bought the 846 over a year ago and I have never heard any hiss from this iem. I have used DX100, DX90, Cowon P1, AK120II, AK240 and my fav X3.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #12,281 of 22,945
  "(chris_himself cables do not count, in my opinion)"  I ordered a cable for my TF10 a few years ago from Chris, but Ted made the cable.  I just ordered a balanced cable for my Pono/UERM directly from Ted, as he's no longer affiliated with Chris. 

Why would you reshell an 846, instead why not just get Sensaphonic sleeves?  

i will order from ted a pure copper cable as i am not interested in any silver cables that will even slightly have an effect on mids and highs

someone mentioned here that the stock shure 846 is nickle copper plated , so is nickel better than copper, and what would be the expected change even if its slight for a pure copper cable compared to stock cable

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #12,283 of 22,945
I'd just like to weigh on how great the 846's sound with the JDS labs c5.

I bought the c5 for travelling as I didn't feel the iphone 6 was doing the treble justice at all. After about 2 weeks now I couldn't be happier. These things NEED amping my opinion and I don't see how anybody can consider the treble to be rolled off when these are matched with the iphone and c5/02. I am genuinely over the moon with how they sound.

When I first listened to them on the day I got them, I was impressed, but the issues people had mentioned about the treble were apparent straight away. When I got home and used them with my and phone and o2 the sound signature was EXACTLY what I wanted. Now having the c5 for travel - it makes them a little brighter - but the treble issue doesn't exist at all to me.

Can't recommend these enough.

On a sidenote: jds labs have some of the best customer support I have experienced, a long with Audeze.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #12,284 of 22,945
JDS C5 is a wonderful amp.  And I agree, their customer service is very good.  

But the best customer service I've ever encountered has to be Oppo.  When I have issues with my BD players, if I email them on a Sunday they get back to me in an hour.  They will fix items the day they arrive and ship them out (the last time, within two hours of arrival!).  They pay for return FedEx shipping in warranty and out.  Their warranty period is extended if the issue is one they feel they should cover.  I can't say enough about them.  

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #12,285 of 22,945
  I'd just like to weigh on how great the 846's sound with the JDS labs c5.

I bought the c5 for travelling as I didn't feel the iphone 6 was doing the treble justice at all. After about 2 weeks now I couldn't be happier. These things NEED amping my opinion and I don't see how anybody can consider the treble to be rolled off when these are matched with the iphone and c5/02. I am genuinely over the moon with how they sound.

When I first listened to them on the day I got them, I was impressed, but the issues people had mentioned about the treble were apparent straight away. When I got home and used them with my and phone and o2 the sound signature was EXACTLY what I wanted. Now having the c5 for travel - it makes them a little brighter - but the treble issue doesn't exist at all to me.

Can't recommend these enough.

On a sidenote: jds labs have some of the best customer support I have experienced, a long with Audeze.

or get an amp with a Treble Boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back