Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #12,211 of 22,945

Never marry the same girl twice.

Westone W60 is the same shape (albeit smaller) and nozzle. It may fit snuggly with some foam padding.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #12,212 of 22,945
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive portable USB DAC/amp to pair these with?  I do most of my listening with a laptop and it's got a very obvious hiss when used directly.  I have tried a couple of inexpensive options like the Schiit Fulla and it simply isn't a good match.  I have to reduce my media player volume to like 10% just to get a comfortably low listening volume and the hiss is still extremely obvious.

I looked at the JDS Labs C5 but I'm not thrilled at the idea of paying for a fancy battery when I have no intention of using this thing without it being plugged into my laptop.

Finally, I definitely don't want to spend Chord Hugo levels of money, since I generally find the audible differences are pretty minimal to my ears.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #12,213 of 22,945
  Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive portable USB DAC/amp to pair these with?  I do most of my listening with a laptop and it's got a very obvious hiss when used directly.  I have tried a couple of inexpensive options like the Schiit Fulla and it simply isn't a good match.  I have to reduce my media player volume to like 10% just to get a comfortably low listening volume and the hiss is still extremely obvious.

I looked at the JDS Labs C5 but I'm not thrilled at the idea of paying for a fancy battery when I have no intention of using this thing without it being plugged into my laptop.

Finally, I definitely don't want to spend Chord Hugo levels of money, since I generally find the audible differences are pretty minimal to my ears.

If you can find a used ALO Island - It sounds great with the 8's.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #12,214 of 22,945

I can sympathize. As amazing as the SE846 are, their sensitivity exposes you to hiss on a lot of devices. I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro. If you also have a MacBook, you'll be able to lower the noise floor a bit by going to applications->utilities and then running the Audio Midi Setup, selecting "Built-in Output" and switching from the (default) 2-ch 16-bit integer to 2-ch 24-bit integer (or even 32-bit float). This will lower the noise floor, but it won't get rid of it completely. You're going to be equally disappointed with the noise floor on the C5D or the Chord Hugo.  I know I'm going to be crucified en mass for saying this, but one of the best DAC/amp combos I've ever heard with the SE846 is the boring old unaudiophile-grade iPhone 6. Its noise floor is incredibly quiet.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #12,215 of 22,945
  I can sympathize. As amazing as the SE846 are, their sensitivity exposes you to hiss on a lot of devices. I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro. If you also have a MacBook, you'll be able to lower the noise floor a bit by going to applications->utilities and then running the Audio Midi Setup, selecting "Built-in Output" and switching from the (default) 2-ch 16-bit integer to 2-ch 24-bit integer (or even 32-bit float). This will lower the noise floor, but it won't get rid of it completely. You're going to be equally disappointed with the noise floor on the C5D or the Chord Hugo.  I know I'm going to be crucified en mass for saying this, but one of the best DAC/amp combos I've ever heard with the SE846 is the boring old unaudiophile-grade iPhone 6. Its noise floor is incredibly quiet.

Not from me you won't! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  The iPhone 6 and Tidal HiFi and/or G'MIX/Neutron Player/Onkyo HF Player is sheer bliss.  The QP1R adds just a bit more to the entire sonic presentation, but for all around duties that the iPhone 6 is pulling, it is one seriously legit DAC/amp/DAP/device!

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #12,216 of 22,945

Not from me you won't! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  The iPhone 6 and Tidal HiFi and/or G'MIX/Neutron Player/Onkyo HF Player is sheer bliss.  The QP1R adds just a bit more to the entire sonic presentation, but for all around duties that the iPhone 6 is pulling, it is one seriously legit DAC/amp/DAP/device!

Current smartphones are way better at output than they get credit for. Heck, so are most computers. Yeah, you can do better with external hardware but the 8's sound stellar out of a laptop or a phone.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #12,217 of 22,945
I appreciate the responses to my question.  Maybe I should just give up the dream and use my phone as a DAP.  It doesn't seem to have the hiss problem that my laptop does, which probably makes up for issues with battery, capacity, etc.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #12,218 of 22,945
  I appreciate the responses to my question.  Maybe I should just give up the dream and use my phone as a DAP.  It doesn't seem to have the hiss problem that my laptop does, which probably makes up for issues with battery, capacity, etc.

I don't think hiss is that big of a problem unless you listen to your music with no volume...

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #12,219 of 22,945
I don't think hiss is that big of a problem unless you listen to your music with no volume...
Depends on your level of OCD, Hugo hisses with 846, which drove me to get the ZX2, but after listening to the AK240 and AK380, going back to the ZX2, I could then hear hiss I hadn't heard before (the AKs are inky black)...

Bought yet another new player (AR M2) as a consequence...

I damned well hate this OCD :frowning2:

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #12,220 of 22,945
I've been using the se846>AK120>chord Hugo and I have not heard any hissing sound.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #12,221 of 22,945
Count yourself lucky :)

High pitched noises drive me crazy... :frowning2:

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #12,222 of 22,945
smile.gif
Quote:
Depends on your level of OCD, Hugo hisses with 846, which drove me to get the ZX2, but after listening to the AK240 and AK380, going back to the ZX2, I could then hear hiss I hadn't heard before (the AKs are inky black)...

Bought yet another new player (AR M2) as a consequence...

I damned well hate this OCD 

It seems to be an expensive version of OCD for sure.
wink_face.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #12,225 of 22,945
^^^

I don't have my SE846 on hand now (not at home atm), but aren't those rings underneath the removable nozzle? If I'm not mistaking, they're there to prevent the nozzle's thread to be damaged by screwing it on too tight, so the seal and therefore the sound shouldn't be affected by them.

How did you even lose them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back