Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #11,266 of 22,960
I received these in the mail today. It's nice to live close to the dealer so it's next day delivery regardless of shipping option. It took a bit to figure out to remove the cable since I can't just pull like I do with the 2 pin cables that I have with my ciem. I thought I would hate the cable but the fact that it could swivel around seems to make fit easier if I need to adjust it but time will tell.

The default filter is definitely more balanced than i thought it would be. I got a lot of stuff mailed to me the last week so I should have lots of listening time ahead :)

May 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #11,268 of 22,960

I'm tempted to try it.. my main worry is messing up the SE846's while getting them molded.

i looks pretty easy to do on youtube

May 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #11,270 of 22,960
It's better to get a professional to do an ear impression instead of saving a few bucks for DIY when it deals with something as important as your ear. 

Also many times if it doesn't come out right they may give you free impressions to redo it.

May 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #11,271 of 22,960
Dhc is by far the best quality cable I have tested and heard. I went for hybrid copper silver litz 8 braid and it adds from the sub bass to high end seperation. Beautiful, easy to manage ( soft) the only problem, expensive and takes 8-12 weeks to be made and shipped.

May 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #11,272 of 22,960
I would buy these if I could. No doubt.

I would also consider the AKG K3003 which are also triple-driver (one dynamic, two balanced). From what I can understand, the SE846 are dual-bass/mid, treble and a radiator which act as a sub-woofer effect.

I see B&O are also doing earphones in this market however they aren't aiming for the high-end of the market.

May 19, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #11,273 of 22,960
But the B&O earphones will be shaped like pyramids and as such your ears will have to be surgically altered for them to fit.
Style first!

May 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #11,274 of 22,960
They do seem like a fashionably overpriced - not value for money. At least you'll blend into the crowd with your Apple Watch and Superdry clothes.

May 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #11,276 of 22,960
Loquah re-appears.  
smile.gif

May 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #11,278 of 22,960
I've put on a couple hours with these so far. It seems like the blue filter is the one that suits me best. The sound change with the filters is bigger than I thought it was going to be. That's probably a good thing as it gives different signatures if someone doesn't like the default filter. The default filter also is more balanced than I expected from Shure. It has been a long time since I owned anything from Shure as the last iem was the SCL4 many years ago.

I've tried all the tips I own and it seems that the olives work best for me. I'll buy a pack of the mediums tomorrow on my way home so I have a bunch of replacements but if they are anything like the original olives they will last me a while. I don't really like the function of the cable. It is not as flexible as I would like and the memory wire is annoying. The linum cable would be nice but it gets caught on zippers and other stuff really easily. Are there any other cables without memory wire that are very flexible and doesn't tangle easily? I know headphone lounge is a good place to start but I don't like their memory wires but their cables are pretty good in function.

Also it doesn't look like my JH13 are going anywhere but time will tell.

May 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #11,279 of 22,960
I'd recommend trying the B&O gear before judging it. For the price, their earphones and headphones are generally extremely well made and sound good.

I own and enjoy B&O gear, rest easy.

May 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #11,280 of 22,960
  I received these in the mail today. It's nice to live close to the dealer so it's next day delivery regardless of shipping option. It took a bit to figure out to remove the cable since I can't just pull like I do with the 2 pin cables that I have with my ciem. I thought I would hate the cable but the fact that it could swivel around seems to make fit easier if I need to adjust it but time will tell.

The default filter is definitely more balanced than i thought it would be. I got a lot of stuff mailed to me the last week so I should have lots of listening time ahead :)

Becareful with the connections thats the weak spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back