Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #11,281 of 22,960

I received these in the mail today. It's nice to live close to the dealer so it's next day delivery regardless of shipping option. It took a bit to figure out to remove the cable since I can't just pull like I do with the 2 pin cables that I have with my ciem. I thought I would hate the cable but the fact that it could swivel around seems to make fit easier if I need to adjust it but time will tell.

The default filter is definitely more balanced than i thought it would be. I got a lot of stuff mailed to me the last week so I should have lots of listening time ahead :)

I slide my thumb and index finger nails between the cable connector and iem, and lightly pry the two apart to separate the cable from the iem. Requires less force than pulling on the cable connector itself and prevents pulling back at an awkward angle which could possibly cause damage.

Not an se846, just for demonstration of removing mmcx cable

May 20, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #11,282 of 22,960
  I've put on a couple hours with these so far. It seems like the blue filter is the one that suits me best. The sound change with the filters is bigger than I thought it was going to be. That's probably a good thing as it gives different signatures if someone doesn't like the default filter. The default filter also is more balanced than I expected from Shure. It has been a long time since I owned anything from Shure as the last iem was the SCL4 many years ago.

I've tried all the tips I own and it seems that the olives work best for me. I'll buy a pack of the mediums tomorrow on my way home so I have a bunch of replacements but if they are anything like the original olives they will last me a while. I don't really like the function of the cable. It is not as flexible as I would like and the memory wire is annoying. The linum cable would be nice but it gets caught on zippers and other stuff really easily. Are there any other cables without memory wire that are very flexible and doesn't tangle easily? I know headphone lounge is a good place to start but I don't like their memory wires but their cables are pretty good in function.

Also it doesn't look like my JH13 are going anywhere but time will tell.

Try Whiplash cable, they have a nicer memory wire or you can ask Ted not to include the memory wire.

May 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #11,283 of 22,960
Using 846,with HiFi M8, IPhone 6 plus,and balanced cable. Having nothing to do,decided to try unbalanced cable. Very surprised,that i now prefer Unbalanced. This seems to produce a warmer,lusher sound. Is it me,Doris it cable effect?.Am reading through the thread, on the HA 2,and would love to try it,against the HiFi M8. Decisions,Decisions!.

May 20, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #11,284 of 22,960
alright he is my first custom mold but I tried it first on my senheisser momentum wireless, and what a dam change in sound it took me 40 minutes altogether, now I will go ahead and true to do the same for the shure tomorrow, and it only costed my 12 usd

I do not know how to attach pictures but it turned out pretty dam good, I wish I could have been able to show u

why does it not allow me to add pictures here in this thread

May 20, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #11,286 of 22,960

Quote:
  alright he is my first custom mold but I tried it first on my senheisser momentum iem, and what a dam change in sound it took me 40 minutes altogether, now I will go ahead and true to do the same for the shure tomorrow, and it only costed my 12 usd

I do not know how to attach pictures but it turned out pretty dam good, I wish I could have been able to show u

why does it not allow me to add pictures here in this

May 20, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #11,287 of 22,960
but i turned my sensheisser momentum iem into an audeze lcd2 :)

and so cheap I am going to order more of these radians from ebay to experiment more to do final touch ups, but it sounds so dam good my momentum 

now I wanted to practise on my momentum before i go ahead on my shure

i think now i can do it safely on my shure, as its pretty dam easy

i tried tow methods 

1- method 1:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb7bTe5XZPs

desgned a tip first and then add the remaining on the rest of my ear but was not that great 

2- method 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmk-y_9exJ8

method 2 was better because i able to instert the iem very very deep and kept in position

May 20, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #11,288 of 22,960
and here is a another super easy idea for the shure 846 that do not want to make a full custom mold 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea8OXLvtI_A

May 20, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #11,289 of 22,960
i was wondering before i do my shure molding using radians

do you advise me

1- to keep the mold a bit extended from the nozle of the shure 846 that goes inside the ear or cut it at exact the same length of the shure 846 nozle length

2- do you advise me to make the end of the mold that goes inside the ear have a small opening or big opening

May 20, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #11,290 of 22,960

Hi folks, 
I'm considering the Sensaphonics custom sleeve option.  Would you say that the main advantage is increased bass response from the good seal, or are there other advantages as well to having a custom sleeve?
Thanks.

May 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #11,291 of 22,960
Has anyone tried the Klipsch tips with these? I found out B&H also stores those tips so I'll pick a set of those up too after work. I don't have many tips that fit this nozzle so I'll have to see if I can find anything that works well for me.

Quote:

I slide my thumb and index finger nails between the cable connector and iem, and lightly pry the two apart to separate the cable from the iem. Requires less force than pulling on the cable connector itself and prevents pulling back at an awkward angle which could possibly cause damage.

Not an se846, just for demonstration of removing mmcx cable

Is that the stock earsonics cable? I had no idea they moved to mmcx from 2 pin.

I did a search yesterday and the result was similar advice. I just put a nail in between and once it separates I'm good to go.

Try Whiplash cable, they have a nicer memory wire or you can ask Ted not to include the memory wire.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into them and see which one I end up with. Maybe something in the FS threads will show up.

May 20, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #11,292 of 22,960
Bang and Olufusen are one of those brands you can just casually buy into or can't. I'm really not financially at a place at such at the moment to make rash decisions when it comes to purchasing high-end stuff. It seems North of Europe the emphasis is on quality and cost rather than cheaply produced and highly priced. Not a criticism of anybody in particular however just some observations.

May 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #11,293 of 22,960

Hi folks, 
I'm considering the Sensaphonics custom sleeve option.  Would you say that the main advantage is increased bass response from the good seal, or are there other advantages as well to having a custom sleeve?
Thanks.

Hi bintol,

I would say that the SCS (Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves) improves (but not limited to) the seal and isolation, which in turn improves perceived bass response compared to sizes-fit-all tips because the SCS is molded with your specific ear anatomy.  If you would like to read more regarding the SCS, you can check out the SCS review thread (in my signature and profile), and also read up on SCS owners impressions and additional advice/recommendations/F.A.Q.s as well.

If you need any additional assistance, you can PM me or post on the SCS thread as well.

Good luck to you.  
bigsmile_face.gif

May 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #11,294 of 22,960

Hi bintol,

I would say that the SCS (Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves) improves (but not limited to) the seal and isolation, which in turn improves perceived bass response compared to sizes-fit-all tips because the SCS is molded with your specific ear anatomy.  If you would like to read more regarding the SCS, you can check out the SCS review thread (in my signature and profile), and also read up on SCS owners impressions and additional advice/recommendations/F.A.Q.s as well.

If you need any additional assistance, you can PM me or post on the SCS thread as well.

Good luck to you.  
bigsmile_face.gif

correct me if i am wrong doing an scs will increase the treble too am i right, as that is what i noticed when i did my own radians custom mold on my sennheiser momentum.

my momentum turned into a total new iem, great bass and mids and highs, its like a huge difference 

now i will experiment a little bit more with my momentum and do a third mold this time i will push the iem nozzles more deeper and make the extention longer and the opening smaller than i did in the pics above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back