Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #62 of 22,945
I am a big believer in Shure, as a proud owner of the 1840, but honestly I do also have the 535 and 535 LTD and didn't really get wowed by either of them... I must say with the 846 all my inhibitions about the last IEMs are gone... They sound like legit TOTL IEMs. The bass extension is just insane while it doesn't bleed into the mids or highs at all. I need more time with them but looking forward to it.
Hey VZ since they have great bass how do they compare to your 335?

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #63 of 22,945
Quote:
As my Protector is the only audiofile grade amp I current have (my Fiio E12 is certainly not) have you tried the single output from the Protector or is the warm signature of the RSA sound still prevalent?

I have not tried single-ended... Interesting, maybe I should. But don't worry, the Protector is still an outstanding amp- if you like it's signature, it'll work great on the Shures too.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #64 of 22,945
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #66 of 22,945
I've never used IEMs with this Shure removable cable connector before. Is it best to unplug the connectors every time to store in case for transport? Or will that cause the Shure connectors to wear out faster, making it better to leave the cable connected to the IEM even when packing for transport, and no need to unplug the cable each time... or ever, unless there's a real reason disconnect it?

Or the connectors last forever anyway, so it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #67 of 22,945
I've never used IEMs with this Shure removable cable connector before. Is it best to unplug the connectors every time to store in case for transport? Or will that cause the Shure connectors to wear out faster, making it better to leave the cable connected to the IEM even when packing for transport, and no need to unplug the cable each time... or ever, unless there's a real reason disconnect it?

Or the connectors last forever anyway, so it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

It is best to limit the amount you remove it. Over time the connection can become loose. It is fairly easy to stretch the connector by GENTLY using a jeweler's slotted screw driver the expand the cable connection slightly for a tight fit with the IEM.

In the year I have owned my 535s I have only disconnected it when I upgraded cables and once a month to clean the connections with DetoxIT.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #68 of 22,945
[size=medium]Gear- Straight iPHONE 5, Ipod touch newest model, and home gear (mac-mini, aiff, ayre, PS audio, Woo Audio, Sony SACD 777, and etc…)[/size]

[size=medium]Caveat- I am not a professional reviewer and don’t play one on television.  Also, the 535s along with my Baldur MKII were stolen a few weeks ago so I am going by what I remember.  This is a huge caveat so take anything you read with a pound of salt.  The descriptions you read below are compared to my beloved 535 Ltd and my home system.  [/size]

[size=medium]Packaging- Grade:  [size=14pt]A[/size]  (I wonder if the fine folks at Apple had something to do with this)[/size]
  1. [size=medium]The exterior packaging and black interior box are very well made.  [/size]
  2. [size=medium]The interior clear acrylic box screams high-end IEM[/size]
  3. [size=medium]The litany of accessories is really impressive [/size]
    1. [size=medium]2 cables of different lengths[/size]
    2. [size=medium]Assortment of olives, yellow foam and silicon tips to ensure you get a good fit[/size]
    3. [size=medium]Travel case- Similar to the footprint of the 535 LTD case except square.[/size]

[size=medium]Fit - Grade:[size=14pt]B+[/size] I have really small ears even though I am 6’2”.  This was my only concern coming from the 535 Ltd.[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Size of the earphone- Definitely larger than the 535.  It sits nicely in my ear.  The extra space sticks out further from my ear than the 535 but does NOT affect fit in any way.  Once in place, I cannot tell the difference unless I run my hand over my ear.  The 846 feels fatter in this regard.[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Tips- In order to be deliberate, I attempted to make the installed medium olive work but it was not a good fit.  I found the small silicon tip very comfortable but would not be as good at noise isolation.  The triple flange tip just did not fit my ear.  I considered the modification of removing the outermost flange but the size of the middle flange would likely be too large for my ear.  The yellow foam tip worked okay and isolated better than the silicon tip.  In the end, I found the smallest size olive a perfect fit.[/size]
  3. [size=medium]Cable- This is a much nicer cable than the 535 ltd.  The memory portion of the wire works really well.  The microphonics are pretty good as well when the chord brushes against my clothing.    All in all, I find the stock cables to be pretty solid fit wize.  Unlike my 535’s I have no immediate plans to change this cable.[/size]

[size=medium]Sound- Grade:  [size=16pt]A [/size] Even before they broken in (straight out of the box), I found an immediate upgrade to the sound over my 535 LTD with the Baldur MKII cable.  I know what I like but am terrible at explaining it but will do my best.    Here are my initial impressions[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Volume- Both headphones are sensitive, but the 846 is a little less sensitive and requires another click on the volume control.[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Revealing- Better at reflecting the quality of source material.  With higher end AIFFs, I find that I am hearing new dimensions to my music vs the 535 LTD.  On poor quality music from my iPHONE, I can better hear the digital grain.  This may be a plus or minus depending on your intended use.  For me it is a plus even on iPHONE duty.  The 846s capture the magic of the music and I find it easy to disregard the imperfections they reveal  to either source or recording.[/size]
  3. [size=medium]Soundstage- A little larger from every angle.  I am going from memory, but I would say 20%...[/size]
  4. [size=medium]Midrange- Just as lush but more resolving.  I hear this when listening to the likes of Leonard Cohen where the texture of his voice is more engaging.[/size]
  5. [size=medium]Bass- Yeah, they nailed this one.  It has speed, impact without ever feeling bloated.  It reminds me of the type of bass I get from my Revel Studios.  A+.  This is coming from a non-basshead. [/size]
  6. [size=medium]Engagement- This is one of the very first things I noticed.  I just feel more connected with the music with these headphones.    I listen to different music than most folks around here so that may also drive my preference.  If you have not heard any of this music, check it out.  I have included links to the music on youtube.  I have high quality reference tracks but thought hearing the song might help you decipher what I meant.[/size]
    1. [size=medium]Phosphorecent- Song For Zula.  The 846s conveyed such an emotional connection to the song.  It moved me.[/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdOLKx2XG8[/size]
    2. [size=medium]Audra Mae- The Real Thing. (Southern Fried Adele).  The 846s do magic with this.  The coherency across the frequencies is sublime.  Bass, treble and midrange is all where it should be.  [/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHB4nUvuw-w[/size]
    3. [size=medium]Amos Lee- Keep it Loose, Keep it Tight.  The 846s capture the magic in Norah Jones piano playing and Amos Lee’s vocals.  I love hearing how different/better the brushed cymbals sound on these phones.  [/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xt8dVLPLFc[/size]
    4. [size=medium]The Civil Wars- Poison and Wine.  Just haunting on these phones. Around the 1:30 mark when Joy Williams is singing by herself, I find her voice to sound more like my big speakers with air/breath/texture/shimmer.  Around 2:15,  the weight of the bass is much better.[/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzRlcnq_c0[/size]
    5. [size=medium]Fiona Apple- The First Taste.  I knew this would have to be first song on these headphones.  Piano, close mike vocals, shimmery treble, and very-very deep bass are all elements of this song.  The 535s got much of it right.  However, the 846s do this song sublimely.  It made it clear to me that I can get the lower registers without midbass bloat or upsetting the overall balance.  Same was true for the Extraordinary Machine Song.[/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiuk0z8dzXo[/size]
    6. [size=medium]Shawn Mullins- September in Seattle.  These phones capture the large soundstage, the weight of the low end and the overall foot-tapping magic of this gospel infused/southern acoustic rock song.[/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjW0Bgz0M0[/size]
    7. [size=medium]Eva Cassidy- Wade in The Water.  Larger soundstage than the 535s.  The vocals seem more holographic if that is possible.  I believe both headphones did well on this song but the 846s are a step above.[/size]
      1. [size=medium]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5XodeQ2tQ[/size]

[size=medium]I expect my impressions to change over time.  That being said, I was moved by how good these sound that I thought I would take the time to capture my early impressions.  I will be happy to post a follow-up in a few weeks if anyone is interested.  [/size]

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 22,945
Quote:
Hey VZ since they have great bass how do they compare to your 335?

the 846 definitely have more bass quantity. The 335's bass is more controlled.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #70 of 22,945
M Coupe. Great review as I get my 846s tomorrow and I also am upgrading from the 535 special editions with pure silver balanced cables. The big question is after having the 846s and the 535s is it twice as good as the 535s to justify the price?

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #71 of 22,945
Two times better? Probably not. The 535 LTD with the upgraded cables are pretty magical and represent a good value imho. That being said, I would buy the 846s again because they are significantly better to my ears. I am curious what you think when you get yours in. Also, let me know if you try your custom cable on the 846s. Good luck tomorrow. I know it is going to be a long day for you:)

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #72 of 22,945
Two times better? Probably not. The 535 LTD with the upgraded cables are pretty magical and represent a good value imho. That being said, I would buy the 846s again because they are significantly better to my ears. I am curious what you think when you get yours in. Also, let me know if you try your custom cable on the 846s. Good luck tomorrow. I know it is going to be a long day for you:)

No question I am going to use my custom cables. The only question is whether I will bother listening with stock cables. Once you go balanced it is difficult to go back to single output and I love the tube like sound of the RSA Protector.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #75 of 22,945
Yeah I wouldn't say that the shure se846 has a LOT of bass- at least not with the balanced filter. My um3x sound bassier. Where the shures shine is with the quality and impact of the bass. On initial audition though the bass is forward and hits hard so it may sound like there's a lot of it.

I too am a non basshead and was presently surprised by this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back