Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #22,906 of 22,945
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #22,907 of 22,945
SoundLink on AliX- this one with the SS ring (you’ll pop the screens out of the ring)
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.35 19% Off | 2PCS Balanced Armature Damping Damper Plugs filters Knowles Acoustic Dampers for Shure Se215 se315 se425 se535 Se846 TF10 LM5144
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m05BaDy

OR without the SS ring:
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.00 19% Off | 2PCS Screen 1.78mm Knowles Acoustic Damper Damping Filter Plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNgjZL4

Make sure to get at least 2 pairs of each color you’re interested in trying in case you damage or lose one! I’ve settled on green but the reds are also fun to try, haven’t tried the higher resistance than red.

Do this on a large table top because the buggers like to jump into oblivion as soon as you look at them! And turn off ceiling fans!
Use a blunted toothpick to widen the iem end of the filter tube and tease out the existing screen, then use the toothpick to place the new damper in.

For reference (I think) Shure put a brown damper screen in the white tube, white screens in the red and blue tubes and a red screen in the black tubes.

If you have 535s get a pair of the brown dampers with the SS ring (my first link) because they transform an otherwise dead sounding iem. Along with some eq from the TW2s they make rock music great when I go running with them!

There are great threads on head-fi for both iems filter mods and that’s what I followed.
Happy experimenting :)
Oh thank you for the details.
I am ready to order. I'll fill you in with the results.
This is the power of SE846s, so many years after and head-fiers still find ways to keep the experience fresh.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #22,908 of 22,945
Sorry, my memory mislead me. That was in the TW2 thread actually:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...-wireless-thread.928960/page-39#post-17663214
I messaged them when I read your initial comment and yeah here is more proof.

1711739116606.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #22,909 of 22,945
The standard black ones. They’re around $12/pair or 9-10 on prime days. I use the adapters that came with spin fits (cp100) on my 846s and for my ‘running’ 535s I cut out some inners from the yellow foams Shure provided. They have wax guards too.

Sounds like you just need a bigger size, the seal works great for me even the ML size, while Shure M size doesn’t work for me.

Sound quality of these azlas is superior to all the spinfits I’ve tried, and the tips that came with timeless and blessing 3s.
I have both of the Azlas and a Spinfit coming. I just got the crystal one. Is the Azla adapter supposed to go all the way down the stem? The nozzles are right in your ear and without a wax guard I'm not going to use it lol.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #22,910 of 22,945
I have both of the Azlas and a Spinfit coming. I just got the crystal one. Is the Azla adapter supposed to go all the way down the stem? The nozzles are right in your ear and without a wax guard I'm not going to use it lol.
This is how I have both sets. My 535s have had the cutout wax guards for over a year and I remove and clean them every 2-3 months. I had 7Hz tips before I got the azlas.
The Spinfit adapters can be set as far on the stem as you like, actually doesn’t really affect how far the tips stay because there’s enough grip to set them where you want.
I can’t tell much difference in sound whether the azla tips are pushed all the way down the stem or set partly out, but I did with other tips - like less bass if they were pushed on further.

Attachments

• IMG_9396.jpeg
    IMG_9396.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #22,911 of 22,945
This is how I have both sets. My 535s have had the cutout wax guards for over a year and I remove and clean them every 2-3 months. I had 7Hz tips before I got the azlas.
The Spinfit adapters can be set as far on the stem as you like, actually doesn’t really affect how far the tips stay because there’s enough grip to set them where you want.
I can’t tell much difference in sound whether the azla tips are pushed all the way down the stem or set partly out, but I did with other tips - like less bass if they were pushed on further.
Nice thanks for the photo.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #22,912 of 22,945
So I tried a few different tips. Azla SednaEarfit Max/Crystal and Spinfit CP100/CP240. I prefer both of the Spinfits. The mounting is a lot easier and they fit into my ears better. I don't like that the Nozzle presses against the filter on the Max. There might be some SQ loss there but I didn't really notice anything significant. Everything clings onto the Crystals so they look terrible after a few uses. The Spinfit CP100 is shorter so you get a bit more bass than the Max. I like the CP240 as well since you get more treble just by swapping from the CP100. You just lose the bass feeling but it's still there. I found that ML Azlas and L Spinfits work for my ear holes. I'll be using the CP100 as my daily over any of the bundled tips.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #22,914 of 22,945
I like the CP240's too. I finally figured out all the settings. My 846s sound best with EQ on my phone and not the app. The range is fantastic at least outside where I will be using them most. What I am noticing is that battery level in my left TW2 adapter is 12% less remaining than right. This is with no calls just listening to a MP3 with environment mode off. Anyone else notice this or do I have a defective adapter?

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #22,916 of 22,945
Yes it's all relevant to individual anatomy.
But a few universal laws about tips I've empirically discerned over the years:
1. Shorter-wider tips which fit in the outer part of the External Auditory Meatus: More Harman type of signature with more Bass and better soundstage
2. Longer, deeper inserted tips: more narrow stage, intimate mids and vocals
3. Wider opening (bore), more treble
4. Softer, thiner silicone: More sub-bass but to the expense of midrange tone-weight.
This is to name a few characteristics.
Now for SE846, I found the cp800 to offer the more balanced mix for my taste. Soft silicone, good seal, wide bore (comparing to Shure ones).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #22,918 of 22,945
I like the CP240's too. I finally figured out all the settings. My 846s sound best with EQ on my phone and not the app. The range is fantastic at least outside where I will be using them most. What I am noticing is that battery level in my left TW2 adapter is 12% less remaining than right. This is with no calls just listening to a MP3 with environment mode off. Anyone else notice this or do I have a defective adapter?
I noticed mine does this too. I think it’s normal?
IMG_4364.png

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #22,919 of 22,945
Hi,
Are there better iem's than the Shure se846 that have the same size bore diameter?
I ask this as I am stuck with using tips with the same bore size as se846 no other tips work.
it's either have Custom molds made which limits on what iem's are available or hope there are other iem's to try over the se846 with same bore size?
Thanks

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #22,920 of 22,945
Hi,
Are there better iem's than the Shure se846 that have the same size bore diameter?
I ask this as I am stuck with using tips with the same bore size as se846 no other tips work.
it's either have Custom molds made which limits on what iem's are available or hope there are other iem's to try over the se846 with same bore size?
Thanks

Etymotics maybe? Not necessarily better, but different... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back