Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #22,891 of 22,945
Volume was same on laptop as phone which is an Android but range before they cut out was much shorter which I don't care about as I use wired with my laptop anyway. I tried my SE215,SE535, and SE846's with the TW2. Going to call Shure tomorrow and see if something can be done before returning back to them for a refund. I will probably buy the more expensive IFI GOs and use them with my Blessing 3s.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #22,892 of 22,945
Volume was same on laptop as phone which is an Android but range before they cut out was much shorter which I don't care about as I use wired with my laptop anyway. I tried my SE215,SE535, and SE846's with the TW2. Going to call Shure tomorrow and see if something can be done before returning back to them for a refund. I will probably buy the more expensive IFI GOs and use them with my Blessing 3s.
lol - we have completely different experiences.
My TW2s work great. As well as running with Apple Watch I also use them for teams meetings on my laptop and walk around the house, even different floors, never had connection issue.
And those B3s? I loathed them, returned after 2 weeks. I thought my Timelesses were more resolving, greater clarity and have bass vs no bass at all. The bass on the timeless are a bit loose is all. And boring too. That’s what I love about my 846s, rock sounds like it’s playing at 1.2x speed, because of the tactile bass probably.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #22,893 of 22,945
I've tried many IEM which I would consider 'betrer' that SE846s. But nothing sounds like the Shures as Bass and Midrange is concerned. Not saying it is the best presentation, just that it is very idiosyncratic.
Those silky Shure mids.
Even though I don't use mine much, I love to read new users keep enjoying them !

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #22,894 of 22,945
I've tried many IEM which I would consider 'betrer' that SE846s. But nothing sounds like the Shures as Bass and Midrange is concerned. Not saying it is the best presentation, just that it is very idiosyncratic.
Those silky Shure mids.
Even though I don't use mine much, I love to read new users keep enjoying them !
Mod a white filter tube with a green Knowles and it sounds even better :wink:

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #22,896 of 22,945
I actually have been able to change some developer settings on my phone that control Bluetooth which has improved the volume level at least enough that I might keep the TW2 as I will only be using it at my pool on my raft. Much prefer wired with DAC. I thought the Blessing3s had crap bass until I found the right ear tips. They have made all the difference. They are still not as good as my 64 Audio's which are my favorites but only use them at inside at home.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #22,897 of 22,945
With all this talk of the TW2 it got me curious to try and mine arrive today. Bit worried about the potential volume issue but will report back how I get on with them

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #22,898 of 22,945
I got my TW2 today. Range is good with my phone but not laptop and volume WAY too low. The suggested hack to choose SE215 made sound weird but did increase volume a little. The mic quality is excellent for calls. The lack of volume likely enough for me to return these. Shure should know better! If I could get the volume up the quality would likely be very good but with it so low can't really enjoy what I am listening too like I can wired. I can't imagine using the TW2 in a noisy environment and anyone being satisfied. I can't recommend these to any audiophile.
According to a statement from Shure (to be found somewhere in this thread) that setting applies no EQ and only changes the volume, so that setting should be fine to use.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #22,900 of 22,945
According to a statement from Shure (to be found somewhere in this thread) that setting applies no EQ and only changes the volume, so that setting should be fine to use.
I tried to find the statement but didn’t have any luck.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #22,901 of 22,945
Azla sedna ear fit - the black ones. I go running with these TW2/535s and I don’t have to touch them, sometimes over an hour. Also I found the L size 14mm a hair tight so I tried the ML on my 846s and they feel good (my ears need the L size Shure foams and olives to get bass)
Which ones did you get? Crystal standard? The stock silicone ones have no bass or isolation for me. I can’t believe the massive degradation in sound quality lol.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #22,902 of 22,945
Which ones did you get? Crystal standard? The stock silicone ones have no bass or isolation for me. I can’t believe the massive degradation in sound quality lol.
The standard black ones. They’re around $12/pair or 9-10 on prime days. I use the adapters that came with spin fits (cp100) on my 846s and for my ‘running’ 535s I cut out some inners from the yellow foams Shure provided. They have wax guards too.

Sounds like you just need a bigger size, the seal works great for me even the ML size, while Shure M size doesn’t work for me.

Sound quality of these azlas is superior to all the spinfits I’ve tried, and the tips that came with timeless and blessing 3s.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #22,903 of 22,945
The standard black ones. They’re around $12/pair or 9-10 on prime days. I use the adapters that came with spin fits (cp100) on my 846s and for my ‘running’ 535s I cut out some inners from the yellow foams Shure provided. They have wax guards too.

Sounds like you just need a bigger size, the seal works great for me even the ML size, while Shure M size doesn’t work for me.

Sound quality of these azlas is superior to all the spinfits I’ve tried, and the tips that came with timeless and blessing 3s.
Thanks I ordered the 3 pair with overnight. I went with M, ML, and L. The comply L had a perfect seal so it was surprising to see a lack of with the silicone ones. I did the swap and didn’t listen before going to the gym so it was not an enjoyable experience at all lol.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #22,904 of 22,945
Do you have a link to purchase those Knowles filters?
SoundLink on AliX- this one with the SS ring (you’ll pop the screens out of the ring)
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.35 19% Off | 2PCS Balanced Armature Damping Damper Plugs filters Knowles Acoustic Dampers for Shure Se215 se315 se425 se535 Se846 TF10 LM5144
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m05BaDy

OR without the SS ring:
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.00 19% Off | 2PCS Screen 1.78mm Knowles Acoustic Damper Damping Filter Plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNgjZL4

Make sure to get at least 2 pairs of each color you’re interested in trying in case you damage or lose one! I’ve settled on green but the reds are also fun to try, haven’t tried the higher resistance than red.

Do this on a large table top because the buggers like to jump into oblivion as soon as you look at them! And turn off ceiling fans!
Use a blunted toothpick to widen the iem end of the filter tube and tease out the existing screen, then use the toothpick to place the new damper in.

For reference (I think) Shure put a brown damper screen in the white tube, white screens in the red and blue tubes and a red screen in the black tubes.

If you have 535s get a pair of the brown dampers with the SS ring (my first link) because they transform an otherwise dead sounding iem. Along with some eq from the TW2s they make rock music great when I go running with them!

There are great threads on head-fi for both iems filter mods and that’s what I followed.
Happy experimenting :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #22,905 of 22,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back