Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #22,861 of 22,945
I get mine with the TW2 later today. I’m not really an audiophile but it should be easy to tell how much the adapter degrades the sound. I’m just going to use the stock red filters since I used to use the blues with my old pair. Didn’t like the other two filters back then.
I have the tw2, it is a nice add on, but it is a night and day difference connecting the se846 cable connected to my amp.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #22,862 of 22,945
They do degrade the sound, less so than the FIIO UTWS 5 at least. Personally I prefer the white over the red filters.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #22,863 of 22,945
I have the tw2, it is a nice add on, but it is a night and day difference connecting the se846 cable connected to my amp.
Night and day seems exaggerated. They don’t need that much power. I do understand that they’ll suffer some quality loss from the wireless connection though.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #22,865 of 22,945
It has nothing to do with power. But connect it to a decent dap or amp, and you’ll know what I mean
I tried it on a Mjolnir/Yggdrasil stack when I had them out of curiously. No difference between that and my phone.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #22,866 of 22,945
I tried it on a Mjolnir/Yggdrasil stack when I had them out of curiously. No difference between that and my phone.
Well if you can’t here the difference between crappy bluetooth codecs or a clean akm 4499ex dac/amp or a chord dacs, decent r2r dac I give up😂. I use the tw2 as well, but not for serious listening. There nice and convenient that’s all

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #22,867 of 22,945
Well if you can’t here the difference between crappy bluetooth codecs or a clean akm 4499ex dac/amp or a chord dacs, decent r2r dac I give up😂. I use the tw2 as well, but not for serious listening. There nice and convenient that’s all
Lol I didn’t say that. Obviously there’s a difference between Bluetooth and a wired connection. But for the SE846 IEM there was no difference between the two wired connections.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #22,870 of 22,945
Then check the quality of your audio files?
It’s that hard to believe that there is no difference between the two? I’m not going to convince my self that the difference is “night and day” when there is none. I have always used FLACs or Tidal when listening to my “high” end IEMs. Maybe there’s a difference with higher end/more expensive IEMs but I haven’t heard any as of yet. I can tell a difference when using headphones from lower end vs higher end equipment though.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #22,871 of 22,945
You can always verify they are genuine by calling Shure and giving them the serial number which is on the box. They should put it on the IEM itself but then if they did for sure no Gen1 owner could get the red filter. Please let us know if the TW2 degrades the sound as I get mine tomorrow. The BT2 was horrible and it had very limited range before it cut out. The TW2 is suppose to go 10 meters which is what I need as I will be using mine at the pool while floating on my raft later this spring and summer. It is IPX4 water resistant which means it should be able to be splashed with water or rained on and still be ok. I really like the SpinFit CP240 double flange tips on my 846s. They allow just enough bass but also open things up so tracks have more life to them. Prior they were too bassy and didn't hear the treble enough, hard to describe in words.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #22,872 of 22,945
It’s that hard to believe that there is no difference between the two? I’m not going to convince my self that the difference is “night and day” when there is none. I have always used FLACs or Tidal when listening to my “high” end IEMs. Maybe there’s a difference with higher end/more expensive IEMs but I haven’t heard any as of yet. I can tell a difference when using headphones from lower end vs higher end equipment though.
No it's ok if you don't, maybe your non-DAC source is already decent.
But one thing you can try is to listen to a track very familiar to you that includes some musical depth and detail and see if you hear 'more' information with a DAC or not.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #22,873 of 22,945
No it's ok if you don't, maybe your non-DAC source is already decent.
But one thing you can try is to listen to a track very familiar to you that includes some musical depth and detail and see if you hear 'more' information with a DAC or not.
Yeah I'm definitely going to try again with my RME just out of curiosity. I'm getting a WM1A for my Z1R but if the difference is negligible then I would be more than happy to return it.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #22,874 of 22,945
Have SE846 gen2 for two weeks now and it's instantly my go to, midrange as clear as I'd hear from speakers, bass outstanding, because there where is a lot of bass, you get a lot of bass, there where is no bass, you get no bass, just as you would expect from monitoring speakers. It came as default with new extended filters preinstalled and to me highs extension lacks nothing, to me these sound like end game, stage is not as wide as on my Westone W80 or Mach80, but I get all the details and balance sounding extremely "right". My go to, even got me thinking about getting a second used pair as a future back up.
Amazing that these originally were released like in 2013...
Gonna try this today. Will let you know what happens. Thanks

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #22,875 of 22,945
They look really good in the TW2 case. I forgot what tips I used to use so the bass is lacking right now. When I push them in I get a good seal.

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpeg
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back