Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #22,846 of 22,946
This topic resurfaces every now and then.
My take on the matter is that yes they are a bit overpriced but overall it is a great and reliable product. And yes it was a disappointment that the Gen2 is practically the same IEM.
The only part of the SE846 sound that should be improved IMO is treble extension and detail. I would love to see a MKIII with ESTs for high frequencies eg.
Now about TW, I recently got an Ifi Go Pod. When I have my SE846e back from a friend who enjoys them these days I'll definitely try them on that.
Isn’t that what the red filters are supposed to do?

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #22,847 of 22,946
I never heard them with the red filters ( I have Gen1) but I don't think it is a filter issue. It is a driver issue.
Don't get me wrong, some listeneners prefer it this way and might not consider it an 'issue' at all. But to my ears, se846 lack detail and extension in the 'air' region. If they fix that I would gladly pay 1k or more to have them and they would be hard to beat in that league.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #22,848 of 22,946
While I still like the SE846, especially with the TW2, I think the best move on Shures part would have been to offer the red filters at no charge for existing customers. Yet I don’t need them, and my existing set did not get any less good by the introduction of a new version…

Would I pay 900+ today? Probably not. Would I spend 900,- on any other in-ear? Probably not. So there’s that…

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #22,850 of 22,946
The Reds help but do not fix lack of detail or widen the sound stage really to give you the feeling you are in the room live. The bass is still great with reds and bass is really the strongest area to my ears on the 846s. I also find the SE846's a bit fatiguing when listening to them for hours. The U12ts I can listen for hours straight and do not have that issue. I know I am not comparing apples to apples as the U12ts are twice the price but to be able to hear details that I have never heard in music I have had for years its worth it. For classical music the Ut12ts are amazing. I do love how the Se846's fit in my ears. They are more comfortable for ear fit compared to the U12ts. The Blessing 3's I have (not really good choice for those with small ears) do not have as much bass as the Se846's but the detail and sound stage is better. I also do not get listening fatigue when using for hours. They will not hold up as well as the 846s as they are better made. One of the cables likes to come loose on one of the IEMs for example and only had them a couple of weeks so one day the pins will break while in the IEM and they will be junk. If your listening focus is on lots of bass the 846's are great. I think the 846s are great buy used in good condition because they are built well and will last.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #22,851 of 22,946
I think folk need to remember that established brands in any modern, complex consumer economy only loosely price goods based on production costs plus $n% margin. A far larger consideration is perceived brand value, perceived value of competition, and what the market will bear for a given item, etc. (Just take a look at Apple or maybe Rolex as a case study).

Where this strategy starts to fall apart is when other entrants into the market take a much simpler approach and DO price goods up by production costs plus $n% margin. This is the approach taken by a plethora of Chinese IEM manufacturers (where production costs are very low anyway) and it means that they are able to undercut products from businesses like Shure and make them look very expensive. They also do not have the R&D costs in the main, as they are not really innovating, just replicating what has gone before, albeit perhaps with a slightly different tunings.

I’m not excusing Shure’s or any of the other major players’ pricing strategies (I had a major ‘ouch’ to overcome when I bought my gen 2’s), but it is worth taking a step back and remembering how all this works.

FWIW, the clincher in over coming the cost of the Gen 2’s for me was the fact that I had used SE535 for something like 15 years before hand and felt that the robustness, build quality and hence ‘cost per use’ justified the price. Very annoying for me then that my one of my Gen 2’s split open within a year 😡. I doubt I will ever spend as much on an IEM again.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #22,852 of 22,946
Yeah, but why bother? Amazon has a long history of problems with high end good, including electronics. I'd rather buy from a real stereo shop assuming price parity. I've bought most audio and TV equipment from Crutchfield.com for 25+ years with ZERO problems.

Dispatches from Amazon, Sold by Amazon it will be a brand new UK product but I'll be "Shure" to let you know if it's not. :)

The only time I've ever had issues with Amazon was a £500 gold ring, I got an empty shipping box, someone had been in there first. Amazon sent another one for next day delivery no quibbles.

1711452134230.png

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #22,853 of 22,946
Since one of your IEMs split open that suggests either it was just bad luck or Shure changed its manufacturing standards to cut costs. I have had great luck with all my Shure's lasting and holding up to use. Oldest set is from 2016. Did Shure replace the IEM under warranty? My issue with them is the sound quality just is not up to par with competition for the price. To add one filter and offer different cosmetic options really isn't a revision/upgrade worth calling it a new generation and then not to offer this new filter to all Se846 owners is just bad business. IF they changed the drivers or tuning or nozzle design so no tool was required to change a filter that would be a different story. How much did it actually cost them to create that new filter or offer different color shells?

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #22,854 of 22,946
Since one of your IEMs split open that suggests either it was just bad luck or Shure changed its manufacturing standards to cut costs. I have had great luck with all my Shure's lasting and holding up to use. Oldest set is from 2016. Did Shure replace the IEM under warranty? My issue with them is the sound quality just is not up to par with competition for the price. To add one filter and offer different cosmetic options really isn't a revision/upgrade worth calling it a new generation and then not to offer this new filter to all Se846 owners is just bad business. IF they changed the drivers or tuning or nozzle design so no tool was required to change a filter that would be a different story. How much did it actually cost them to create that new filter or offer different color shells?
I had a rarely used SE215 split along the seam. My SE846s are holding up nicely despite heavy usage.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #22,856 of 22,946
I think the mmcx connectors is their weakest point
Agree. I'm having to book into the Shure service and repair to get my se846 fixed as the mmcx is causing loss of sound when moving the cable.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #22,857 of 22,946
How much did they quote you to repair? I am now only buying 2 pin IEMS because I agree the mmcx is a potential weak point. I try to detach mine as little as possible. Decided to go with the TW2 and will use that only with my 846s now that I found some ear tips that cut the bass a little and open up the sound stage some. Still prefer my U12ts and Blessing 3's over the 846s.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #22,858 of 22,946
I'm just in the process of filling out the forms online. I remember the customer services agent saying around £50 to look at them and then what ever needs replacing will be added cost.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #22,859 of 22,946
New se846 gen 2's arrived yesterday, all look good, appear to be brand new genuine product. I do like red filters. Listening now out of the DC Elite which is a great sounding dongle, zero background noise that I can hear, even if its a little poor at controlling the volume at the lower levels needed for IEMs in general.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #22,860 of 22,946
I get mine with the TW2 later today. I’m not really an audiophile but it should be easy to tell how much the adapter degrades the sound. I’m just going to use the stock red filters since I used to use the blues with my old pair. Didn’t like the other two filters back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back