Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #22,831 of 22,946
With it for red filters? I'll chuck the rest in the bin, green never was my colour. :laughing:

20240325_07h10m14s_grim.png

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #22,832 of 22,946
With it for red filters? I'll chuck the rest in the bin, green never was my colour. :laughing:

These are just completely overpriced nowadays in my opinion. You can get way better IEMs for less money, if you are only buying them for music listening purposes.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #22,833 of 22,946
These are just completely overpriced nowadays in my opinion. You can get way better IEMs for less money, if you are only buying them for music listening purposes.
I don't understand why people say that, just because they weren't released last week and aren't impossible to buy doesn't make them any less value for money than they were nearly 10 years ago.

Off topic for this thread but feel free to PM me with something that's cheaper, sounds the same or better and will last at least five years with daily use.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #22,834 of 22,946
I don't understand why people say that, just because they weren't released last week and aren't impossible to buy doesn't make them any less value for money than they were nearly 10 years ago.

Off topic for this thread but feel free to PM me with something that's cheaper, sounds the same or better and will last at least five years with daily use.
It's because I own them and I am still using them pretty often and I am able to make comparisons with my ears. They are great for drumming and I have used a community made EQ profile for music listening. They still sound worse than something like the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk for example.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #22,835 of 22,946
Shure has made some very impressive advancements in many audio related technology fields. And they have achieved a lot of well-earned trust and success in the business. But when you look at, for example, the improvements in micro-speaker development for IEMs, it's crazy to me that Shure decided to re-release such an old product again, just with a gate-kept new filter, that was, let's say, "lifted" from community made mods.
The tuning is way out of touch with modern music production and advancements in digital technology as are the speakers and their physical design themselves. And then that pricetag for no cost in either r&d or production, just ridiculous to be honest.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #22,836 of 22,946
The reds come already installed in the Gen2s. I agree these are way over priced and Shure needs to up its game for their top IEM. I don't regret buying my mint used 64 Audio U12ts. Want more or less bass takes one second to change out the Apex module. Only thing that is lacking is DD bass but the BA bass is really good even with EDM. The detail and staging are excellent. I do like the bass on the 846s.

To clean the 846s you can remove the nozzles and put in alcohol and buy new filters and wipe the IEMs themselves with a cleaning agent. I assume you would use your own ear tips.

The Blessing 3 Dusk should be coming out soon.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #22,837 of 22,946
Shure has made some very impressive advancements in many audio related technology fields. And they have achieved a lot of well-earned trust and success in the business. But when you look at, for example, the improvements in micro-speaker development for IEMs, it's crazy to me that Shure decided to re-release such an old product again, just with a gate-kept new filter, that was, let's say, "lifted" from community made mods.
The tuning is way out of touch with modern music production and advancements in digital technology as are the speakers and their physical design themselves. And then that pricetag for no cost in either r&d or production, just ridiculous to be honest.
Indeed, the Shure SM58 was first released in 1966 and still people buy them, there must be better, cheaper microphones out there now shurely.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #22,838 of 22,946
Indeed, the Shure SM58 was first released in 1966 and still people buy them, there must be better, cheaper microphones out there now shurely.
There probably are better ones 😅 but in comparison to the SE846, the SM58 is VERY cheap and much more reliable. If Shure would drop the price to 200 bucks, I would not complain at all.

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #22,839 of 22,946
This topic resurfaces every now and then.
My take on the matter is that yes they are a bit overpriced but overall it is a great and reliable product. And yes it was a disappointment that the Gen2 is practically the same IEM.
The only part of the SE846 sound that should be improved IMO is treble extension and detail. I would love to see a MKIII with ESTs for high frequencies eg.
Now about TW, I recently got an Ifi Go Pod. When I have my SE846e back from a friend who enjoys them these days I'll definitely try them on that.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #22,840 of 22,946
I decided on getting the SE846 and the TW2 for now. I’m not seeing anything as good for gym use and I used to enjoy swapping the filters which doesn’t seem to be a feature for any other IEM. Next purchase will be a Z1R for home.

Not exactly filters, but Apex modules on 64 Audio IEMS and Atom modules on Fir Audio. And of course, lots of Chifi IEMS with switches on them to emphasize or de-emphasize various portions of the audio spectrum.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #22,841 of 22,946

20240325_07h10m14s_grim.png
Be super careful with Amazon. They sent me a sealed box with everything in there except the IEMs. There were 2 quarters in the box instead (for weight purposes). Loss prevention must weigh boxes to see if anything is missing. I would avoid amazon for high end electronics.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #22,842 of 22,946
Be super careful with Amazon. They sent me a sealed box with everything in there except the IEMs. There were 2 quarters in the box instead (for weight purposes). Loss prevention must weigh boxes to see if anything is missing. I would avoid amazon for high end electronics.
It's amazing how many stories like this I hear. I'd hope that Amazon is catching them eventually but that it keeps happening tells me that many criminals are getting away with it. This or buying a knock-off and putting it in the box instead, that's even trickier. I agree to stay away from Amazon for high-end electronics. Very sad.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #22,844 of 22,946
You can research the seller information from Amazon. If it is from established retailers then it should be fine.
If something is returned as new they resell it. My first pair of AirPods were resealed and replaced with cheap buds.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #22,845 of 22,946
You can research the seller information from Amazon. If it is from established retailers then it should be fine.
Yeah, but why bother? Amazon has a long history of problems with high end good, including electronics. I'd rather buy from a real stereo shop assuming price parity. I've bought most audio and TV equipment from Crutchfield.com for 25+ years with ZERO problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back