Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #22,156 of 22,945
Did someone here try the combination Shure se846 and Fiio BTR5 or the now new Fiio BTR7, and then specific as USB-DAC, I am interested in the device because it is a all in one solution, DAC/Bluetooth/Amp. I would love to hear some opinions/experiences

Or the Qudelix 5K I hear good stories about?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #22,157 of 22,945
Yes I do. Like the bigger screen for reading, second screen usually has my music app on it during commutes, and useful for watching videos when out since I can place the phone on a table and use the second screen at any angle for my toddler.
I cant seem to fit my cables into the dual screen, its just too thick. Anyone has this issue?

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #22,158 of 22,945
I cant seem to fit my cables into the dual screen, its just too thick. Anyone has this issue?
You need an adapter. I just bought some random cheap ones on Amazon and they work great. Below are links to the adapters I have. Both can be used to trigger Aux mode (I think anything that is similar should work). You can search for "3.5mm Headphone jack extender adapter" and a bunch should pop up.

FosPower (3 Pack) 3.5mm (1/8") Male to Female Stereo Audio Headphone Jack Adapter [Ultra-Slim Design | 4-Conductor TRRS | 24K Gold Plated Connector] for Phones, Tablets, Headphones & Card Readers https://a.co/d/0AOwifl

3 Pack Headset Audio Jack Extender, 3.5mm Headphone AUX Extension Adapter for Juice Pack, for Battery Charger Case, Power Case, for Smartphones, Tablets https://a.co/d/dOx2TF9

Attachments

• 20220928_092448.jpg
    20220928_092448.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_092541.jpg
    20220928_092541.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_093032.jpg
    20220928_093032.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #22,160 of 22,945
Thanks for the rec @TK33 👍

Is the sound quality affected in anyway using this fospower adapter? or imperceptible for you?
Haven't really noticed any issues with it. The way I see it, it definitely sounds better than not being able to use it at all or being forced to use bluetooth. Helps that they are pretty inexpensive too.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #22,162 of 22,945
You need an adapter. I just bought some random cheap ones on Amazon and they work great. Below are links to the adapters I have. Both can be used to trigger Aux mode (I think anything that is similar should work). You can search for "3.5mm Headphone jack extender adapter" and a bunch should pop up.

FosPower (3 Pack) 3.5mm (1/8") Male to Female Stereo Audio Headphone Jack Adapter [Ultra-Slim Design | 4-Conductor TRRS | 24K Gold Plated Connector] for Phones, Tablets, Headphones & Card Readers https://a.co/d/0AOwifl

3 Pack Headset Audio Jack Extender, 3.5mm Headphone AUX Extension Adapter for Juice Pack, for Battery Charger Case, Power Case, for Smartphones, Tablets https://a.co/d/dOx2TF9
You plug both connectors on top of each other to the phone. This will trigger high impedance mode (2 volts) Then, you need to remove the impedance adaptor while leaving the 3.5 adaptor plugged in. This way you a fooling the phone to remain in high impedance mode. Then, plug in your iems.
If you just connect the 3.5 adaptor, without the Impedance adaptor you just get aux mode which is 1V.
Sound quality is never affected.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #22,163 of 22,945
I must admit that I like the new half solid, half clear designs. Especially the jade.

Bet the new extended filter is actually just the TrishD mod:stuck_out_tongue:

They might not have it for sale yet, but they can't withhold it forever. Unless they genuinely expect any gen 2 buyers who lose the filter to have to buy another set of gen 2s just to reacquire them.

What is the TrishD mod? Is that the mod of taking the foam out of the filters?

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #22,164 of 22,945
What is the TrishD mod? Is that the mod of taking the foam out of the filters?

I understood it was the placement of 2 foam inserts at the far end of the filter tube, rather than having one foam piece at both ends.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #22,166 of 22,945
people interested in real photo's of the jade version, they really look nice, kind of deep dark smooth velvet colored (I ordered those, was worried before arrival they would be too greenish). the colour part is metal by the way.

I can say about the red filter, it is actually best of both worlds, The warmth of blue but added some sparkle and brightness of the white filters without getting harsh (which the white tend to do with some music). I really really like what they did with the new sound. I already know the white, blue and black, so could do a good comparison. It is quite onfair they won't sell the red filter separately, maybe somewhere in the future.

It sounds different than the famous blue filter mod (there are some similarities, but not completely)

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #22,167 of 22,945
Interesting to see the large ‘846’ printed on them, the clear version doesn’t have that. Or an L or R, only difference is that the right hand one has a red armature cap like the gen1 did.

Red filter is certainly my pick of the four, after quite a few hours trying the others I can’t see me using anything but the reds.

What cable are you using on yours?

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #22,169 of 22,945
Interesting to see the large ‘846’ printed on them, the clear version doesn’t have that. Or an L or R, only difference is that the right hand one has a red armature cap like the gen1 did.

Red filter is certainly my pick of the four, after quite a few hours trying the others I can’t see me using anything but the reds.

What cable are you using on yours?

The Jade one's don't have the red armature cap (the graphite neither)

I am using a rhodium furutech cable.

ADL iHP-35M Plus 1.3m​

https://www.adl-av.com/products/cables/headphone/

1664778556515.png

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #22,170 of 22,945
Would love to have some advice on portable USB DACs. I am kind of a person that likes neutral sounds, with a little tint of warmth (without the extend of bass, I hate too much bass)

I read good stories about the FiiO BTR7, but the focus is mainly bluetooth, and direct connected you miss a lot of the benefits. I already have the new TW2 for my shures so the use case is a little less logical? Dragon fly Cobalt was on the list but read a lot of negative reviews, the Qudelix 5k is already outdated (not sure if that is the case), the Hiby FC3 seems to be to simple sounding.

I read the cirrus logic chips tend to have the bright airy sound of the sabre dacs with a hint of AK (warmth) dac chips?

What I am actually looking for is a real good portable USB dac for my iPhone , neutral (with a tiny bit of burr brown/tube kind of warmth). Using the se846 gen2
I was thinking somewhere between 100 till 300 euro/dollar max

(MQA is the only feature I don't care about it) bluetooth is nice to have, but not if that means it will costs other serious features when u use it as a USB DAC, which is mainly the use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back