Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #22,141 of 22,945
I have a V60 and use a 3.5mm aux extension cable to trigger AUX mode (not sure how to trigger high impedance >50 ohm mode). You need to connect the extension cable first without the IEMs connected and then connect the IEMs afterwards. This will trick the LG into aux mode. I believe this works for older models as well. This is the cable I use (need it for the dual screen case due to the thickness of the case):

3 Pack Headset Audio Jack Extender, 3.5mm Headphone AUX Extension Adapter for Juice Pack, for Battery Charger Case, Power Case, for Smartphones, Tablets https://a.co/d/4ybbtU4

I use the Hi Fi Status (LG) app to monitor the status.

EDIT @jjazzy - For portable use, I also have the Dragonfly Cobalt and for home, I primarily use the RME ADI-2 and also use the Grace m900 and Aurender FLOW in some secondary setups. All have very low output impedance and work well with the SE846.
I understand. Thanks a lot.
I already have HiFiStatus installed so I'll check my results.
I also have Cobalt, but while I consider it a good much soundwise the extreme volume level it's annoying. I run se846 at around 5-8 % or so.
Much prefer Mojo with se846 which pretty much changed my opinion about these IEMs.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #22,142 of 22,945
I have an LG V50.
Please teach me.
You need these :
https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Condu...fix=3.5+impedance+connect,aps,551&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-...64145912&sprefix=3.5+l+connect,aps,652&sr=8-4

First, you plug the impedance connector to the 3.5 L adaptor. Then, you plug both to your LG phone. Now you will be trigging your phone into high impedance mode.
Then, while you leave the L connector connected to the phone, you unplug the the Impedance adaptor. Finally, you plug your SE846 to the L adaptor :wink:

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #22,143 of 22,945
I understand. Thanks a lot.
I already have HiFiStatus installed so I'll check my results.
I also have Cobalt, but while I consider it a good much soundwise the extreme volume level it's annoying. I run se846 at around 5-8 % or so.
Much prefer Mojo with se846 which pretty much changed my opinion about these IEMs.
I hear you on volume. I use the Cobalt on 1-2% (on Windows, I have to use my mouse to achieve this since my keyboard volume keys seems to move 2% at a time) or otherwise lowest volume available. I should have mentioned that, these days, I mostly find myself using a Qudelix 5K with the SE846, which does 990kbps LDAC perfectly fine (no need to go to Developer Settings) with the LG V60. Definitely lean more towards convenience these days
than anything else. Maybe I am getting lazy...

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #22,144 of 22,945
You need these :
https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Conductor-Impedance-Cancelling-Professional/dp/B07FMGTBBL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2ZIP5ELPFYSQ2&keywords=3.5+impedance+connector&qid=1664145842&sprefix=3.5+impedance+connect,aps,551&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Connector-Compatible-Controller-Speakers/dp/B09CDC1MV9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=18JPNBE3WWDG6&keywords=3.5+l+connector&qid=1664145912&sprefix=3.5+l+connect,aps,652&sr=8-4

First, you plug the impedance connector to the 3.5 L adaptor. Then, you plug both to your LG phone. Now you will be trigging your phone into high impedance mode.
Then, while you leave the L connector connected to the phone, you unplug the the Impedance adaptor. Finally, you plug your SE846 to the L adaptor :wink:
Thanks you guys.
That's great.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #22,145 of 22,945
I hear you on volume. I use the Cobalt on 1-2% (on Windows, I have to use my mouse to achieve this since my keyboard volume keys seems to move 2% at a time) or otherwise lowest volume available. I should have mentioned that, these days, I mostly find myself using a Qudelix 5K with the SE846, which does 990kbps LDAC perfectly fine (no need to go to Developer Settings) with the LG V60. Definitely lean more towards convenience these days
than anything else. Maybe I am getting lazy...

I’ve not noticed the Cobalt being that extreme on volume on an iPhone. When you say 1-2%, is that the master volume of the main device?

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #22,146 of 22,945
I have a V60 and use a 3.5mm aux extension cable to trigger AUX mode (not sure how to trigger high impedance >50 ohm mode). You need to connect the extension cable first without the IEMs connected and then connect the IEMs afterwards. This will trick the LG into aux mode. I believe this works for older models as well. This is the cable I use (need it for the dual screen case due to the thickness of the case):

3 Pack Headset Audio Jack Extender, 3.5mm Headphone AUX Extension Adapter for Juice Pack, for Battery Charger Case, Power Case, for Smartphones, Tablets https://a.co/d/4ybbtU4

I use the Hi Fi Status (LG) app to monitor the status.

EDIT @jjazzy - For portable use, I also have the Dragonfly Cobalt and for home, I primarily use the RME ADI-2 and also use the Grace m900 and Aurender FLOW in some secondary setups. All have very low output impedance and work well with the SE846.
Do you use the dual screen?

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #22,147 of 22,945
I’ve not noticed the Cobalt being that extreme on volume on an iPhone. When you say 1-2%, is that the master volume of the main device?
Not sure how it works on iPhone since I don't have any IOS devices but the Cobalt doesn't have a separate volume control so I basically have to use the lowest volume setting on Windows or my android phones.
Do you use the dual screen?
Yes I do. Like the bigger screen for reading, second screen usually has my music app on it during commutes, and useful for watching videos when out since I can place the phone on a table and use the second screen at any angle for my toddler.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #22,148 of 22,945
Correct, there is no separate volume control for the Cobalt when playing through iOS. This also matches my experience: with both the SE846 and the Xelento, I can’t go above two or possibly three clicks before it gets too loud, due to it being a moderately powerful source and those being very sensitive IEMs. For a while I was actually using the iFi attenuator just to give a bit more volume to play with (despite the annoyance that comes from having yet another dongle in the chain).

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #22,149 of 22,945
I’m genuinely a bit confused with the comments about the Cobalt being too sensitive, whether mine is broken or something…

I would say there is a difference in volume between plugging my 846 directly in to my iPhone, I would listen at about 55-60% volume before feeling it’s too loud.

With the cobalt plugged in, I’d say 50% volume is the max I can listen at.

Interesting also, because I tend to listen at lower levels of volume than many other people I know, at least I thought so.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #22,150 of 22,945
Thanks for the replies regarding using the cable over the ear.

Is there a consensus that the Linum T2 Superbax is the best aftermarket cable for the SE846? Sadly Linum discontinued the MMCX version, but you can buy the T2-terminated version and then use Linum's T2 to MMCX adapter.

Also, for anyone with the Superbax, are you using the "Earhook" version? I assume it would be hard to use the non-earhook version over the ear.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #22,151 of 22,945
For any RMCE-TW2 owners out there, does the model number in the inside of your charging case say RMCE-TW1? I bought the TW2 directly from Shure, and I'm assuming they are using the TW1 charging case with the TW2s.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #22,152 of 22,945
For any RMCE-TW2 owners out there, does the model number in the inside of your charging case say RMCE-TW1? I bought the TW2 directly from Shure, and I'm assuming they are using the TW1 charging case with the TW2s.
Yes mine is like that. They use the same case.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #22,153 of 22,945
Same here

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #22,154 of 22,945
Before I posted my TW2 case question here, I had emailed Shure customer service to ask the same question. I just heard back from Shure, and I'm copying and pasting Shure's response below in case anyone is interested. I thought it was kind of interesting. Mods, feel free to delete this post if it is too off topic.

On a side note, I'm impressed with this response, and I've had good customer service experiences with Shure over the last ~15 years. I was happy to buy the SE846 over some similarly priced and newer IEMs because Shure has been around for a long time, and I think they will continue to be around. I've had two different times where I sent in out-of-warranty IEMs and received great service for reasonable fees. Hopefully Shure doesn't sell out to private equity and have that change anytime soon. :fingers_crossed:

"Thanks for contacting Shure. Sorry for the confusion. The RMCE-TW2 charging case is technically new but not functionally different. The second-generation versions of the True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter (RMCE-TW2) share the same regulatory name with their predecessors (RMCE-TW1). We are required to include the regulatory name on products, which is why the “RMCE-TW1” text is included in certain areas of labelling on the new Gen 2 TW2 products, including in the charging case.

You can quickly confirm which generation of True Wireless adapters you have by looking at the date code printed on the interior of the adapters - located near the “L” and ”R” of the control button, just under the small Shure logo. The second-generation versions (TW2) include an underline on this date code, while the first generation (TW1) versions do not. Additionally, you can confirm the generation by connecting your product to the ShurePlus PLAY app (available for free in the Google Play and Apple app stores). We realize this can be confusing and appreciate your understanding of this regulatory requirement. "

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #22,155 of 22,945
Before I posted my TW2 case question here, I had emailed Shure customer service to ask the same question. I just heard back from Shure, and I'm copying and pasting Shure's response below in case anyone is interested. I thought it was kind of interesting. Mods, feel free to delete this post if it is too off topic.

On a side note, I'm impressed with this response, and I've had good customer service experiences with Shure over the last ~15 years. I was happy to buy the SE846 over some similarly priced and newer IEMs because Shure has been around for a long time, and I think they will continue to be around. I've had two different times where I sent in out-of-warranty IEMs and received great service for reasonable fees. Hopefully Shure doesn't sell out to private equity and have that change anytime soon. :fingers_crossed:

"Thanks for contacting Shure. Sorry for the confusion. The RMCE-TW2 charging case is technically new but not functionally different. The second-generation versions of the True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter (RMCE-TW2) share the same regulatory name with their predecessors (RMCE-TW1). We are required to include the regulatory name on products, which is why the “RMCE-TW1” text is included in certain areas of labelling on the new Gen 2 TW2 products, including in the charging case.

You can quickly confirm which generation of True Wireless adapters you have by looking at the date code printed on the interior of the adapters - located near the “L” and ”R” of the control button, just under the small Shure logo. The second-generation versions (TW2) include an underline on this date code, while the first generation (TW1) versions do not. Additionally, you can confirm the generation by connecting your product to the ShurePlus PLAY app (available for free in the Google Play and Apple app stores). We realize this can be confusing and appreciate your understanding of this regulatory requirement. "

Never new that, good too save the box then. Not really smart, the could have printed at least gen2 as an extra name on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back