Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #22,171 of 22,945
Given you say you like neutral with a touch of warmth, I’m surprised you don’t give the DF Cobalt a go to be honest. Of all the portable DACs I’ve owned and tried, it’s easily the cleanest, most musical sounding and the soundstage is superb. As for build quality and reliability, I’ve had mine since launch and used it almost every day, it’s still as good as new. If I was to find any negatives, I’d be splitting hairs and comparing it to my Hi-Fi DAC which cost over 10x what the DF does and so I won’t.

The only reason I wouldn’t use the DF is if I didn’t need something that can fit in my pocket, in which case I’d be aiming for desktop sized with a better amp.

I use mine with Tidal mainly, and now Roon ARC.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #22,172 of 22,945
Given you say you like neutral with a touch of warmth, I’m surprised you don’t give the DF Cobalt a go to be honest. Of all the portable DACs I’ve owned and tried, it’s easily the cleanest, most musical sounding and the soundstage is superb. As for build quality and reliability, I’ve had mine since launch and used it almost every day, it’s still as good as new. If I was to find any negatives, I’d be splitting hairs and comparing it to my Hi-Fi DAC which cost over 10x what the DF does and so I won’t.

The only reason I wouldn’t use the DF is if I didn’t need something that can fit in my pocket, in which case I’d be aiming for desktop sized with a better amp.

I use mine with Tidal mainly, and now Roon ARC.
Reason why I wasn't suggesting the DF Cobalt because I read so many negative things about it, that even the red was better (but not great) I don't have real experience with the device though.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #22,173 of 22,945
Slightly more than your set budget, and while you've not specified a DAP, the iBasso DX170 fits your requirements. Neutral with a touch of warmth and an expansive soundstage. Something to consider, perhaps.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #22,174 of 22,945
Reason why I wasn't suggesting the DF Cobalt because I read so many negative things about it, that even the red was better (but not great) I don't have real experience with the device though.

There are some very mixed views on the Cobalt, and this forum tends to be quite anti DF for some unknown reason.

Some of the issues that people raise including, build quality, volume control, muddy bass and distortion for instance, just leave me scratching my head.

I suspect that it really very much depends on what you’re pairing it with, laptop, iPhone, Android, which IEM or headphones, Tidal or Roon, file types etc. Let’s face it, if you bought a DAC for your HiFi, the source and speakers would come into the decision making process and you’d buy based on what you liked the sound of as well as pairing it with the components in your system.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #22,175 of 22,945
There are some very mixed views on the Cobalt, and this forum tends to be quite anti DF for some unknown reason.

Some of the issues that people raise including, build quality, volume control, muddy bass and distortion for instance, just leave me scratching my head.

I suspect that it really very much depends on what you’re pairing it with, laptop, iPhone, Android, which IEM or headphones, Tidal or Roon, file types etc. Let’s face it, if you bought a DAC for your HiFi, the source and speakers would come into the decision making process and you’d buy based on what you liked the sound of as well as pairing it with the components in your system.
What I read which worries me, is the volume issues regarding the cobalt. I heared it was to loud and difficulty controlling the volume on iphone/ios etc..

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #22,176 of 22,945
What I read which worries me, is the volume issues regarding the cobalt. I heared it was to loud and difficulty controlling the volume on iphone/ios etc..

Yes, the Cobalt is a problem with the very sensitive SE846, at least for me. On my MacBook, the volume is very loud even at low levels and the volume steps are often either too loud or too soft (i.e. too coarse). On a MacBook you can use smaller increments (1/4) with <shift>-<option><vol> which helps quite a bit.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #22,177 of 22,945
Yeah, it's the same on iOS since the DFC uses synced system volume. I could never go past three notches from zero with either the SE846 or Xelento, which in fairness are both pretty sensitive/efficient IEMs. Otherwise though, it's a really nice, compact DAC and amp.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #22,178 of 22,945
Yeah, it's the same on iOS since the DFC uses synced system volume. I could never go past three notches from zero with either the SE846 or Xelento, which in fairness are both pretty sensitive/efficient IEMs. Otherwise though, it's a really nice, compact DAC and amp.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :wink: thats for me a no go, having so less play room controlling the volume

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #22,179 of 22,945
Reading these comments about volume still amazes me, I have none of these issues using the Cobalt on my iPhone.

I listen to mine with the 846 at just under 50% volume. Admittedly that’s a bit louder than say my TF10 would be (I’d listen to them at about 60% volume) but I haven’t experienced the excessive volume that others suggest.

I’m using an iPhone 12pro - Apple USB adaptor (not the camera adaptor) - DF Cobalt - Shure 846 Gen II.

I wonder if the choice of USB adaptor makes a difference? Otherwise, I’m stumped 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #22,182 of 22,945
Reading these comments about volume still amazes me, I have none of these issues using the Cobalt on my iPhone.

I listen to mine with the 846 at just under 50% volume. Admittedly that’s a bit louder than say my TF10 would be (I’d listen to them at about 60% volume) but I haven’t experienced the excessive volume that others suggest.

I’m using an iPhone 12pro - Apple USB adaptor (not the camera adaptor) - DF Cobalt - Shure 846 Gen II.

I wonder if the choice of USB adaptor makes a difference? Otherwise, I’m stumped 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh that already sounds different than I read everywhere. So if I understand correctly, volume control is quite okay and the sound quality as well?

Somebody is selling a dragon fly cobalt incl apple dongle for 140 euro/dollar (near the same price current values:smile:), in mint condition.

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #22,183 of 22,945
Oh that already sounds different than I read everywhere. So if I understand correctly, volume control is quite okay and the sound quality as well?

Somebody is selling a dragon fly cobalt incl apple dongle for 140 euro/dollar (near the same price current values:smile:), in mint condition.

I’ll try and do a video of it shortly and show you.

Just to also add, I’m pretty sure my hearing is fairly average too, so I don’t need elevated volumes…yet!

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #22,184 of 22,945
My video editing skills aren’t a showcase, but you can see here there are multiple steps in the volume control before it gets to my normal listening level. You can just about hear it, but that is a comfortable listening volume when worn.

I also tried it in my MacBook and the comfortable listening volume through Roon is 23/100, with system volume at about 30%.

On my work Dell Laptop, it’s noticeably louder, and I can see where people experience volume issues, albeit still perfectly controllable and way above 1-2% volume.

So, I don’t know what the issue is.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #22,185 of 22,945
My video editing skills aren’t a showcase, but you can see here there are multiple steps in the volume control before it gets to my normal listening level. You can just about hear it, but that is a comfortable listening volume when worn.

I also tried it in my MacBook and the comfortable listening volume through Roon is 23/100, with system volume at about 30%.

On my work Dell Laptop, it’s noticeably louder, and I can see where people experience volume issues, albeit still perfectly controllable and way above 1-2% volume.

So, I don’t know what the issue is.

Thanks👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back