Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #22,126 of 22,945
You have to look deeper, the biggest trick for audiophiles is that Shure originally made the se846 for professional use. And contrary to Impedance of only 9 Ohms, a portable device simply cannot reveal full potential se846. Because se846 has such a driver design. And Shure wanted mass sales and came up with filters to get out of the situation and this could somehow work with portable devices.
As I already wrote, no one hears :) Everyone complains about the lack of high frequencies after 12kHz. But this is due to filters and use of portable devices. If you put on a white filter without a cap, you get clear sound from the speaker directly into your ear.
And on a professional audio interface, you can hear the entire frequency range up to 18kHz in a clean and transparent way, not at harsh :)
But a portable device cannot provide this.
And yesterday I tested it, I took a few high end portables from my co-workers and listened directly to the comparisons and switched to my MixPre - and yes, the difference is huge especially after 7kHz
And yesterday I tried the RMCE-TW2 again - and again no matter what I do with the settings - the sound is very weak with any filters compared to a direct connection to the MixPre. It's not about volume (the volume is enough) it is the sound - it cannot be compared with MixPre
This once again proves what I wrote above - these iem were originally designed for professional use with stationary professional audio interfaces for monitoring and recording sound.
The problem in this controversy lies only in the fact that everything is known in comparison and how ready your ears, my friends :)

And once again - silicone sleeves distort the sound. For correct sound delivery, you need foam with the correct hole diameter and the correct length of exit after the nozzle. The sound from the correct foam comes out unchanged and gives the correct frequency range, width and stereo panorama.
Silicon is killing it.
This is the design of the se 846 and that is why Shure made its silicone with a hole of a narrow diameter and without exit segment after the nozzle
Do you have any objective measurements about your position here?
You seem an uncompromising purist (not a bad thing- I used to be like
that before I was spoiled) but this comes sometimes with substantial
cognitive bias, my friend.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #22,127 of 22,945
You have to look deeper, the biggest trick for audiophiles is that Shure originally made the se846 for professional use. And contrary to Impedance of only 9 Ohms, a portable device simply cannot reveal full potential se846. Because se846 has such a driver design. And Shure wanted mass sales and came up with filters to get out of the situation and this could somehow work with portable devices.
As I already wrote, no one hears :) Everyone complains about the lack of high frequencies after 12kHz. But this is due to filters and use of portable devices. If you put on a white filter without a cap, you get clear sound from the speaker directly into your ear.
And on a professional audio interface, you can hear the entire frequency range up to 18kHz in a clean and transparent way, not at harsh :)
But a portable device cannot provide this.
And yesterday I tested it, I took a few high end portables from my co-workers and listened directly to the comparisons and switched to my MixPre - and yes, the difference is huge especially after 7kHz
And yesterday I tried the RMCE-TW2 again - and again no matter what I do with the settings - the sound is very weak with any filters compared to a direct connection to the MixPre. It's not about volume (the volume is enough) it is the sound - it cannot be compared with MixPre
This once again proves what I wrote above - these iem were originally designed for professional use with stationary professional audio interfaces for monitoring and recording sound.
The problem in this controversy lies only in the fact that everything is known in comparison and how ready your ears, my friends :)

And once again - silicone sleeves distort the sound. For correct sound delivery, you need foam with the correct hole diameter and the correct length of exit after the nozzle. The sound from the correct foam comes out unchanged and gives the correct frequency range, width and stereo panorama.
Silicon is killing it.
This is the design of the se 846 and that is why Shure made its silicone with a hole of a narrow diameter and without exit segment after the nozzle
I agree, the SE846 might sound loud enough with any portable device due to their low impedance and high sensitivity. However, this is just part of the story. Unfortunately, they truly need a powerful amp with very low impedance output to show their true potential, otherwise, they sound lifeless. Bass and treble are mostly affected.
I used to have an LG phone with a Sabre Dac that would automatically switch to high impedance mode ( 2 full volts) with 60 ohm earphones.
Well, there are tricks to enable high impedance mode with any headphones.
Once I tried it with the SE846 I was blown away, literally.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #22,128 of 22,945
I think the problem with mobile sources is the quite weird impedance swings over frequency with an overall very low impedance. So you need a stable amp with low output impedance, otherwise the frequency response is impacted. I don’t have any problem with the TW2 though, and I’m sure Shure was well aware of the Se846 requirements when designing the TW2 amp section.

Yes, to me the SE846 yields best results with the Shure foam tips. Normally I prefer silicone, but this one is obviously voiced with foam tips.

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #22,129 of 22,945
It depends on your use, out and about on the move or at home?

I’ve been using the Dragonfly Cobalt with 846, source is an iPhone with Roon ARC. That seems to be a decent portable and pocket sized solution. The Dragonfly is quite low impedance at 2.1v.

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #22,130 of 22,945
Do you have any objective measurements about your position here?
You seem an uncompromising purist (not a bad thing- I used to be like
that before I was spoiled) but this comes sometimes with substantial
cognitive bias, my friend.
I just record and work with high resolution audio and hear all the nuances, this is a side effect of the work.
It's not the same as being an audiophile and listening to music :)

I like to use the se846 when setting up stereo mics and monitoring recordings. Monitoring and tuning is not possible with any filter other than white without a cap. Only with this setup you can hear how to tune the stereo and at what frequencies to work. I usually use Adam Professional Audio Studio Pro SP-5 for this - they work better than the se846 for this. But I can’t stay in them for a long time yet and I like not to feel the headphones on my head when monitoring :)

Lately I've been trying the se846 portable for audio mixing. But this became possible only with a white filter without a cap.
I just shared the information because I thought it might be useful to someone and since these are my favorite iem. Usually - I don't share :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #22,131 of 22,945
I agree, the SE846 might sound loud enough with any portable device due to their low impedance and high sensitivity. However, this is just part of the story. Unfortunately, they truly need a powerful amp with very low impedance output to show their true potential, otherwise, they sound lifeless. Bass and treble are mostly affected.
I used to have an LG phone with a Sabre Dac that would automatically switch to high impedance mode ( 2 full volts) with 60 ohm earphones.
Well, there are tricks to enable high impedance mode with any headphones.
Once I tried it with the SE846 I was blown away, literally.
I have an LG V50.
Please teach me.

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #22,132 of 22,945
I think the problem with mobile sources is the quite weird impedance swings over frequency with an overall very low impedance. So you need a stable amp with low output impedance, otherwise the frequency response is impacted. I don’t have any problem with the TW2 though, and I’m sure Shure was well aware of the Se846 requirements when designing the TW2 amp section.

Yes, to me the SE846 yields best results with the Shure foam tips. Normally I prefer silicone, but this one is obviously voiced with foam tips.
I'm not sure about TW2 that Shure knew what and how it should be. Especially given the fact that the TW1 was bad and in the TW2 on many ears the arcs pull and break the sleeves in the ear canal resulting in loss of sound quality.
I think that they did it quickly and as best they could because it had to be done. But I think they didn't put much effort into it because it didn't make sense. I already wrote above why

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #22,133 of 22,945
I just record and work with high resolution audio and hear all the nuances, this is a side effect of the work.
It's not the same as being an audiophile and listening to music :)

I like to use the se846 when setting up stereo mics and monitoring recordings. Monitoring and tuning is not possible with any filter other than white without a cap. Only with this setup you can hear how to tune the stereo and at what frequencies to work. I usually use Adam Professional Audio Studio Pro SP-5 for this - they work better than the se846 for this. But I can’t stay in them for a long time yet and I like not to feel the headphones on my head when monitoring :)

Lately I've been trying the se846 portable for audio mixing. But this became possible only with a white filter without a cap.
I just shared the information because I thought it might be useful to someone and since these are my favorite iem. Usually - I don't share :)
I am a careful listener. When my set comes back from service, I'll give it a try.
As well as your proposal of removing the cap off the blue filter.
Please continue sharing, I was just making a well-intended remark.
Concepts do infiltrate perception!

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #22,134 of 22,945
I am a careful listener. When my set comes back from service, I'll give it a try.
As well as your proposal of removing the cap off the blue filter.
Please continue sharing, I was just making a well-intended remark.
Concepts do infiltrate perception!
:beerchug:

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #22,135 of 22,945
I'm not sure about TW2 that Shure knew what and how it should be. Especially given the fact that the TW1 was bad and in the TW2 on many ears the arcs pull and break the sleeves in the ear canal resulting in loss of sound quality.
I think that they did it quickly and as best they could because it had to be done. But I think they didn't put much effort into it because it didn't make sense. I already wrote above why
I used to own the TW1 and did not consider them bad sounding. They had some usability challenges which probably had to do with being the first TWS product from Shure. I’m sure they would not market the TW1/2 as accessories for the SE846, their TOTL in-ear, if it made it sound bad…
I always valued Shure microphones both for their sound quality and their robustness. Most Shure products I know adhere to this same standard. So no, i see this quite different.

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #22,136 of 22,945
I used to own the TW1 and did not consider them bad sounding. They had some usability challenges which probably had to do with being the first TWS product from Shure. I’m sure they would not market the TW1/2 as accessories for the SE846, their TOTL in-ear, if it made it sound bad…
I always valued Shure microphones both for their sound quality and their robustness. Most Shure products I know adhere to this same standard. So no, i see this quite different.
I have a Shure KSM141 stereo pair of microphones - and it's great quality and convenience.
But apparently we are different listeners with different sound requirements...:) I couldn't hear good sound on the TW2, even by bluetooth standards - but honestly, I really wanted.

Maybe it's in the firmware, it was not the latest. And I didn't have time to update. The TW2s I tried yesterday were made in November 2021
I also tried other models in the settings, but in terms of volume it was almost the same, but all models except the se846 gave a barely noticeable hiss when turned on in the settings

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #22,137 of 22,945
I have a Shure KSM141 stereo pair of microphones - and it's great quality and convenience.
But apparently we are different listeners with different sound requirements...:) I couldn't hear good sound on the TW2, even by bluetooth standards - but honestly, I really wanted.

Maybe it's in the firmware, it was not the latest. And I didn't have time to update. The TW2s I tried yesterday were made in November 2021
I also tried other models in the settings, but in terms of volume it was almost the same, but all models except the se846 gave a barely noticeable hiss when turned on in the settings
I used to own 18 SM58, 7 SM57 and 1 Beta 58 kickdrum micro... preferred AKG for drum overhead though, so mostly worked with mixed sets. But anyway, taste is always a big factor of course... though my experience with many musicians was that most accepted Shure mics while many had stronger opinions on AKG, Beyer and Senn (positive and negative). So we went with Shure.

To me the difference in volume was quite obvious switching from SE846 to SE215 on the TW2 (interestingly on TW1 I remember no such problem btw). Hm. Maybe worth a second look... after a firmware update, which might be a good idea but won't change sound characteristics as far as I remember. Release notes can be found somewhere...

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #22,138 of 22,945
Oh my life, you make it seem like the TW2 sound like the worst sound in the world, I really get annoyed sometimes(nothing personal), I see my self as a real audiophile, have more than 20K on hi fi equipment, and I can say, the TW2 together with the SE846 is a nice well balanced signature sound.

I had the TW1, and it is nothing compared to the TW2, TW2 sounds way better! but regarding breaking, it depends how you pull them, mine never broke ever, and I still have 4 cables of older shures some 12 years old, still not broken.

How do people treat their equipment? I really wonder sometimes (not meant sarcastic, but just really wonder)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #22,139 of 22,945
I have an LG V50.
Please teach me.
I have a V60 and use a 3.5mm aux extension cable to trigger AUX mode (not sure how to trigger high impedance >50 ohm mode). You need to connect the extension cable first without the IEMs connected and then connect the IEMs afterwards. This will trick the LG into aux mode. I believe this works for older models as well. This is the cable I use (need it for the dual screen case due to the thickness of the case):

3 Pack Headset Audio Jack Extender, 3.5mm Headphone AUX Extension Adapter for Juice Pack, for Battery Charger Case, Power Case, for Smartphones, Tablets https://a.co/d/4ybbtU4

I use the Hi Fi Status (LG) app to monitor the status.

EDIT @jjazzy - For portable use, I also have the Dragonfly Cobalt and for home, I primarily use the RME ADI-2 and also use the Grace m900 and Aurender FLOW in some secondary setups. All have very low output impedance and work well with the SE846.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #22,140 of 22,945
just something nice to share about Shure se846 gen2, the two new colors (Jade and Graphite) the colored shells are not made of plastic but aluminum.

I got information sent by William van ecoustics:

'I was 99.9% sure the outer shells were anodized aluminum but spoke w Sean Sullivan at Shure and he confirmed that the outer shells are milled to shape from aluminum castings and then hard anodized in jade or graphite. Sean said the goal was to provide the durability of the colored shell models that use an all aluminum shell with the visibility of the clear so users can see the amazing engineering involved in the se846.

shure-se846-gen2-earphones-disconnected.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 21.58.16.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back