Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #22,009 of 22,946
I concur with @fablestruck findings. My two favourites have been the spinfits - although I'd describe them as a tad less mid centric, even if it is a matter of semantics :wink: - and the Sony hybrids with adapters. The latter are more in line with the Shure house sound with a more intimate presentation but still an upgrade over the stock tips.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #22,010 of 22,946
That's right, that was probably the problem!
Please advise the best silicone sleeves for se846? Preferably those that can be bought on bhphotovideo or thomann
Final Audio Black+Black/Red Silicone Type E Eartips kit with Case and Nozzle Adaptor Compatible With 1More, AKG, Audio-Technica, Beats by Dre, Campfire Audio, Empire Ears, Shure, Sony, Westone (Multi) https://a.co/d/hvNqswv

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #22,012 of 22,946
Final Audio Black+Black/Red Silicone Type E Eartips kit with Case and Nozzle Adaptor Compatible With 1More, AKG, Audio-Technica, Beats by Dre, Campfire Audio, Empire Ears, Shure, Sony, Westone (Multi) https://a.co/d/hvNqswv
And what size is needed if the standard from Shure fits Large?

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #22,013 of 22,946
I already had expected some review somewhere regarding the gen2 and the red nozzle (the one from ecoustics seem a bit colored in opinion, they are kind of vague if the red filter really is a decent upgrade and not a real comparing with the other three nozzles).
What I do know, They don't include the glass box anymore, they also took away the second headphone cable (which was always included in the se846)

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #22,015 of 22,946
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #22,016 of 22,946
Has anyone tried this Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for se846 with iphone 11 and above?
How does it sound compared to the RMCE-TW2?

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #22,017 of 22,946
I tried tw2 with se846 and I have the apple lightning dongle, my honest opinion I read good stuff about the apple dongle, but I don't agree with that at all, it's okay at best. The TW2 bluetooth sounds better than the apple dongle. I would advice to get a decent USB DAC for the iPhone.

I also checked the se846 with a decent dap and then the cable connection wins from the TW2. I guess getting a good USB DAC for the iPhone, then a cable connections will win from the bluetooth connection I guess. That said, the TW2 is really really good, and I mean really really good!! I was highly impressed with it, together with the se846.

My self now deciding getting the gen1 se846 again or the gen2 with the new red nozzle an nice color schemes, if only I could find some decent review regarding the red nozzle, the gen1 is quite bit cheaper than the gen2. (And will use the TW2 with that as well)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #22,018 of 22,946
I tried tw2 with se846 and I have the apple lightning dongle, my honest opinion I read good stuff about the apple dongle, but I don't agree with that at all, it's okay at best. The TW2 bluetooth sounds better than the apple dongle. I would advice to get a decent USB DAC for the iPhone.

I also checked the se846 with a decent dap and then the cable connection wins from the TW2. I guess getting a good USB DAC for the iPhone, then a cable connections will win from the bluetooth connection I guess. That said, the TW2 is really really good, and I mean really really good!! I was highly impressed with it, together with the se846.

My self now deciding getting the gen1 se846 again or the gen2 with the new red nozzle an nice color schemes, if only I could find some decent review regarding the red nozzle, the gen1 is quite bit cheaper than the gen2. (And will use the TW2 with that as well)
What can you recommend a quality DAC for the iPhone?
I looked at all the color and I always liked only the transparent case of the headphones. It shows what's inside, does not stand out in the ear and it always looks modern :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #22,019 of 22,946
I can't really recommend to much on dac's but heared good stories about Hiby FC3 and FC5 or the Shanling UA5. I am planning to buy the FC3, seems more than enough power for the se846 and runs on ESS 9281Pro chip which is a low power high quality dac. And the FC3 is a really good priced (small) dac and can be ordered together with a lightning cable.

regarding colors, what I like about the gen2 is that de new colors Jade and Graphite is color combined with clear, so best of both worlds.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #22,020 of 22,946
I can't really recommend to much on dac's but heared good stories about Hiby FC3 and FC5 or the Shanling UA5. I am planning to buy the FC3, seems more than enough power for the se846 and runs on ESS 9281Pro chip which is a low power high quality dac. And the FC3 is a really good priced (small) dac and can be ordered together with a lightning cable.

regarding colors, what I like about the gen2 is that de new colors Jade and Graphite is color combined with clear, so best of both worlds.

I use the Hiby FC3 with my iPhone and it works just fine without power issues. Many of the dongle DACs pull too much power for iPhones, so I recommend some research before purchasing. Also, remember the SE846 is not well suited for balanced connections due to it's low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back