Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #22,036 of 22,954
Well, first post on the forum! Hello!

I’ve been considering a pair of 846 for a couple of years, but decided to push the button this week and they arrived this morning. They’re gen 2 so come with the new red filter installed, but at the expense of a spare cable…possibly a fair trade.

I’ve owned a few mid-range IEMs over the years, although my ancient TF10 still doing service (been glued together several times), some UE900, etc etc.

Plugged the 846 into my Dragonfly, got some tracks going and after quite a short period of running in, my goodness…they’re incredible! I was worried the difference would be very much one of diminishing returns, maybe I’d prepared for the worst, but not so.

I can’t comment on how the red filters sound compared to the blue/white/black just yet because, they’ve been stuck in my ears for the past 8 hours. But I will do a comparison at some point soon.
Yes do let us know.
Mind you the red filter was supposed to address the upper high range roll off of this IEMs.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #22,037 of 22,954
I would love your opinion compared to the white or blue filters. And would like to know if the red gives a more airy stage effect or does it for example add bass (I am deffinately not bass happy person, that’s why I exchanged to blue for the white, don’t even consider the black)

Which color scheme of the gen 2 did you get? Clear, jade or graphite?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #22,038 of 22,954
I would love your opinion compared to the white or blue filters. And would like to know if the red gives a more airy stage effect or does it for example add bass (I am deffinately not bass happy person, that’s why I exchanged to blue for the white, don’t even consider the black)

Which color scheme of the gen 2 did you get? Clear, jade or graphite?
I do not own the Gen 2. That's the reason I was asking your impressions about the red filter.
Since I enjoy my bass (though I hate midrange contamination) I prefer blue/black filters.
I find the white a bit harsh especially if one goes with silicone third party ear tips.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #22,039 of 22,954
Well, first post on the forum! Hello!

I’ve been considering a pair of 846 for a couple of years, but decided to push the button this week and they arrived this morning. They’re gen 2 so come with the new red filter installed, but at the expense of a spare cable…possibly a fair trade.

I’ve owned a few mid-range IEMs over the years, although my ancient TF10 still doing service (been glued together several times), some UE900, etc etc.

Plugged the 846 into my Dragonfly, got some tracks going and after quite a short period of running in, my goodness…they’re incredible! I was worried the difference would be very much one of diminishing returns, maybe I’d prepared for the worst, but not so.

I can’t comment on how the red filters sound compared to the blue/white/black just yet because, they’ve been stuck in my ears for the past 8 hours. But I will do a comparison at some point soon.
Hi
I am very interested in the comparison with the white filter, since according to my studio tests it is the most correct in terms of frequency range. I would like to know the difference in mid and high frequencies. And the difference in the width of the sound feed, if any

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #22,040 of 22,954
I do not own the Gen 2. That's the reason I was asking your impressions about the red filter.
Since I enjoy my bass (though I hate midrange contamination) I prefer blue/black filters.
I find the white a bit harsh especially if one goes with silicone third party ear tips.
It just seems harsh compared to the blue filter that pushes the top.
If we compare the white filter with reference studio headphones, then it lacks a little top and transparency.
If the music sounds sharp with a white filter, then it is recorded that way.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #22,041 of 22,954
In my opinion, the only thing that a red filter can do is work exactly like a white one, only be less saturated high-mid and more transparent. Expanding the soundstage a bit and more relaxed in the middle. This will be perfect and enough. I don't see how it can extend the high frequencies.
For 17 kHz, the ear no longer hears :)

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #22,042 of 22,954
Hi
I am very interested in the comparison with the white filter, since according to my studio tests it is the most correct in terms of frequency range. I would like to know the difference in mid and high frequencies. And the difference in the width of the sound feed, if any
That's what interests me to, on the photo you can clearly see the white filter has nothing inside and the red filter does, so how that would work and call it the extended? I have no idea, but really really curious. especially because the current one gen1 are now way cheaper than the gen2 (so is the red filter worth the higher price)

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #22,043 of 22,954
That's what interests me to, on the photo you can clearly see the white filter has nothing inside and the red filter does, so how that would work and call it the extended? I have no idea, but really really curious. especially because the current one gen1 are now way cheaper than the gen2 (so is the red filter worth the higher price)
I also don't know how it can extended if there is something inside...
But there may be another cap at the base of the filter mount :)

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #22,044 of 22,954
In my opinion, the only thing that a red filter can do is work exactly like a white one, only be less saturated high-mid and more transparent. Expanding the soundstage a bit and more relaxed in the middle. This will be perfect and enough. I don't see how it can extend the high frequencies.
For 17 kHz, the ear no longer hears :)
Yes, you are correct about the reference qualities of white filter and that harshness usually has to do with the production. Also, some ears are treble-sensitive (as mine).
But I noticed that much of the treble-heat comes from low-treble and IEMs I have that demonstrate better >10kHz representation do not sound harsh just add airiness and detail missed otherwise.
Yes, 17kHz is not heard by many but that's not the case with 12kHz e.g. and SE846 dive deep from 10kHz.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #22,045 of 22,954
Yes, you are correct about the reference qualities of white filter and that harshness usually has to do with the production. Also, some ears are treble-sensitive (as mine).
But I noticed that much of the treble-heat comes from low-treble and IEMs I have that demonstrate better >10kHz representation do not sound harsh just add airiness and detail missed otherwise.
Yes, 17kHz is not heard by many but that's not the case with 12kHz e.g. and SE846 dive deep from 10kHz.
I'm only based on audio editing that I'm recording.
When I'm in the se846 for sound editing and boosting 3-6 dB frequencies from 12kHz or 15kHz , I can clearly hear a clear rise in frequencies in them up to 17kHz and only after 17kHz I hear a decrease
It may be different in music, but in sound recording they work out up to 17kHz perfectly
I also compared it with NDH 30 and this comparison showed for se846 a clear audibility up to 17kHz
Yes, it's a bit harsh and not as elegant as the NDH 30
NDH 30 has always been even wider, more transparent and deeper, but this is a different form factor, a new development on different principles and a different cord

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #22,046 of 22,954
Shure’s statement on this new filter claims that “the new extended sound signature directly addresses customer requests, improving high-frequency extension, with a more targeted contour in the frequency response (4kHz – 12kHz) that increases imaging clarity and adds a desirable airy quality to the audio.”

The red filters re-shapes a contour not a single frequency. 4 to 12 kHz and we will
surely be able to notice it.

In fact, when I boost the 15 kHz eq band on Spotify, I can clearly tell. I imagine I am boosting a contour as well.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #22,047 of 22,954
So I’ve had a couple of hours this morning trying the blue filters, vs the red filters in the new Gen2. Bear in mind, I’m relatively new to these particular IEMs and they are not fully run in.

Initial thoughts are relatively subtle, but the red filter has a more forward presentation of mids, female vocals in particular. The high frequency in the red is more clear and less subdued, but not to the point it seems to be fatiguing, something which I find difficult to live with in IEMs. Oddly, there seems to be more ‘edge’ to the lower mid frequencies, so lower guitar strings are more pronounced (Eric Clapton Unplugged) and I quite like that. Overall, it does seem there is a bit more space with the reds or more ‘airy’ as Shiure describe it, but not greatly so and certainly it doesn’t feel like an open back design in that regard.

I haven’t tried the white yet, I suspect they won’t be to my taste for everyday listening but I will give them a go shortly.

EDIT: whilst I’m an avid HI-FI enthusiast, I don’t often write feedback or reviews on equipment so my explanations may not be quite as well phrased as many folk…sorry!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #22,048 of 22,954
So I’ve had a couple of hours this morning trying the blue filters, vs the red filters in the new Gen2. Bear in mind, I’m relatively new to these particular IEMs and they are not fully run in.

Initial thoughts are relatively subtle, but the red filter has a more forward presentation of mids, female vocals in particular. The high frequency in the red is more clear and less subdued, but not to the point it seems to be fatiguing, something which I find difficult to live with in IEMs. Oddly, there seems to be more ‘edge’ to the lower mid frequencies, so lower guitar strings are more pronounced (Eric Clapton Unplugged) and I quite like that. Overall, it does seem there is a bit more space with the reds or more ‘airy’ as Shiure describe it, but not greatly so and certainly it doesn’t feel like an open back design in that regard.

I haven’t tried the white yet, I suspect they won’t be to my taste for everyday listening but I will give them a go shortly.

EDIT: whilst I’m an avid HI-FI enthusiast, I don’t often write feedback or reviews on equipment so my explanations may not be quite as well phrased as many folk…sorry!
thanks so far, wonder how the white compare to the red, it seems like it could be somewhere between blue and white

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #22,049 of 22,954
I'm only based on audio editing that I'm recording.
When I'm in the se846 for sound editing and boosting 3-6 dB frequencies from 12kHz or 15kHz , I can clearly hear a clear rise in frequencies in them up to 17kHz and only after 17kHz I hear a decrease
It may be different in music, but in sound recording they work out up to 17kHz perfectly
I also compared it with NDH 30 and this comparison showed for se846 a clear audibility up to 17kHz
Yes, it's a bit harsh and not as elegant as the NDH 30
NDH 30 has always been even wider, more transparent and deeper, but this is a different form factor, a new development on different principles and a different cord
Interesting to hear.
Truth is, great as se846 are I've listened to quite more refined mid-priced IEMs in that area.
Thanx for sharing about Neumann NDH30. Though not an audio production/editing related guy, I've been looking for a real reference over-ear to have, and this is getting into my radar lately.
Have you also any experience with NDH20?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #22,050 of 22,954
Interesting to hear.
Truth is, great as se846 are I've listened to quite more refined mid-priced IEMs in that area.
Thanx for sharing about Neumann NDH30. Though not an audio production/editing related guy, I've been looking for a real reference over-ear to have, and this is getting into my radar lately.
Have you also any experience with NDH20?
Yes, at first I kind of liked NDH 20 on music, although the low frequencies were excessive and strange. But it sounded convincing. But when I started working with them for monitoring and mixing - it was very wrong in terms of representing the frequency response. Somewhere in the middle there was a distinct drop in frequencies that made it difficult to correctly understand the sound. Low frequencies were also misleading when monitoring and mixing. They ended up upsetting me and I was sad until they showed up NDH 30.
it's a completely different world. Particularly impressive is the correct stereo transmission and panorama.
If we compare them with the Sennheiser HD 800 S or HD 660 S, then NDH 30 wins in all respects.

A small nice addition on NDH 30 is the Symmetrical Cable with Fabric Cover - it's a completely different thing, and it's very nice, especially 1.2 m long :)
I hated NDH 20 cord

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back