Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #21,991 of 22,946
was just in time to be able to return the just bought (3 weeks) se846 gen1, to have time to think what to do. They just launched the gen 2 now.

There are moments I like the white filters (but are harsh on moments to) the blue one sound amazing, but you mis some of the high end freq moments.

Where does the red filter from the gen 2 stand? Somewhere a mixture of the blue and the white? So warmth of the blue but airy high of the white without the harshness?

The white pushed a lot of low freq away

Could someone advice me?

I like the new color scheme of the gen 2’s though
I agree with you 90%.
In my experience the white filters do not decrease bass response at all. It is very likely that you that you did not install them properly leaving a tiny gap.
Based on what I have read, the red filter is somewhere between the lushness of the blue and the harshness of the white.
I would exchange them without hesitation.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #21,992 of 22,946
But where would the red filter stand? Would it be more higher freq than the white (which can be harsh) or a sort of best of both? (Mixture blue and white filters?)

I try to figure out what sound signature the new red filter will have, because if is not to my liking I might as well buy the gen1 again.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #21,993 of 22,946
I apologize if this has been covered a hundred times already, but i couldn't read through 1400 pages of posts.

I'm looking for best dongle upgrade to the Apple dongle between the se846 and iphone 11 (using Tidal Hifi). I see above that the mojo or ifi gryphon would sound great but i wanted something smaller and cheaper.

Ive read good reviews on many i.e. cobalt, Questyle M15, ifi mini, ibasso....but i thought owners of the se846 would have direct knowledge as to synergy.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #21,994 of 22,946
But where would the red filter stand? Would it be more higher freq than the white (which can be harsh) or a sort of best of both? (Mixture blue and white filters?)

I try to figure out what sound signature the new red filter will have, because if is not to my liking I might as well buy the gen1 again.
What they said is that it will add air to the top end up to 14k. Note that the Gen2 earned High Resolution certification. On the other hand, the white filter would go up to 10K, therefore, it would not add any harshness.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #21,995 of 22,946
I apologize if this has been covered a hundred times already, but i couldn't read through 1400 pages of posts.

I'm looking for best dongle upgrade to the Apple dongle between the se846 and iphone 11 (using Tidal Hifi). I see above that the mojo or ifi gryphon would sound great but i wanted something smaller and cheaper.

Ive read good reviews on many i.e. cobalt, Questyle M15, ifi mini, ibasso....but i thought owners of the se846 would have direct knowledge as to synergy.

Thanks.

Attachments

• A4CA4B9C-6AC3-4D98-90B0-1AFD68FDF76F.jpeg
    A4CA4B9C-6AC3-4D98-90B0-1AFD68FDF76F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #21,997 of 22,946
In my experience, you can play with the filters to increase or decrease highs and bass, however, the mids are not affected. Shure’s trademark.
The white filter was chosen for a reason. I work with high-res sound and effects and I recently took the NDH 30 to work after hearing them sample complex high-res sound recorded on expensive DPA mics. They sound incredibly accurate and virtually flawless for the studio. Music, if it's really well recorded and mixed - sounds fantastically correct and accurate in them. For this reason, they have become an accurate and correct sound reference.

So se846 I really like to monitor and work in them not at home, it's very cool and accurate in all sound parameters and even with a white filter does not reach NDH 30 in terms of strength, depth and detail at high frequencies, but I can live with it. So there is no point in using a blue filter because that would already be the wrong sound. And with a white filter, low frequencies are already on the verge. If you put a blue filter, then there is an excess of low frequencies that is not really a real sound picture. The only downside is the mids, they are a bit active for accurate sound imaging.
Maybe a red filter will fix it, but I doubt it .. and it's not clear whether it will be sold separately

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #21,998 of 22,946
The white filter was chosen for a reason. I work with high-res sound and effects and I recently took the NDH 30 to work after hearing them sample complex high-res sound recorded on expensive DPA mics. They sound incredibly accurate and virtually flawless for the studio. Music, if it's really well recorded and mixed - sounds fantastically correct and accurate in them. For this reason, they have become an accurate and correct sound reference.

So se846 I really like to monitor and work in them not at home, it's very cool and accurate in all sound parameters and even with a white filter does not reach NDH 30 in terms of strength, depth and detail at high frequencies, but I can live with it. So there is no point in using a blue filter because that would already be the wrong sound. And with a white filter, low frequencies are already on the verge. If you put a blue filter, then there is an excess of low frequencies that is not really a real sound picture. The only downside is the mids, they are a bit active for accurate sound imaging.
Maybe a red filter will fix it, but I doubt it .. and it's not clear whether it will be sold separately
According to Sean Sullivan, this is the story of the blue and the red filters . The SE846 were about to be released with two filters, the white, good for 80% of the music and the black, good for 20% of the music. Then, a few weeks before the release date, an engineer came out with what is the blue filter and Sean Sullivan could not be more excited about it.
However, through the years, about 10, they kept gathering customer's feedback. The added extension/sparkle request was common among users and they acknowledged the issue. The red filter was born.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #21,999 of 22,946
According to Sean Sullivan, this is the story of the blue and the red filters . The SE846 were about to be released with two filters, the white, good for 80% of the music and the black, good for 20% of the music. Then, a few weeks before the release date, an engineer came out with what is the blue filter and Sean Sullivan could not be more excited about it.
However, through the years, about 10, they kept gathering customer's feedback. The added extension/sparkle request was common among users and they acknowledged the issue. The red filter was born.
Waiting for the red filter! I hope it will be phenomenal as I really love the sound of the se846. And I want to love them even more with a red filter :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #22,000 of 22,946
I recently had a problem. I tried se846 with RMCE-TW2 and I couldn't get good sound. The sound was flat and very different from the one through the cord to the audio card. Then I put on Apple AirPods Pro and they sounded much better than the se846. This is strange because the se846 through the cord has always sounded very much better than the Apple AirPods Pro. And I tried different settings and an equalizer but it did not bring the desired result. The preset was selected by se846. There could be no confusion in this. Iphone 11 pro max
What could I be doing wrong? I hope it was definitely a mistake.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #22,001 of 22,946
That is strange indeed, I have the tried the tw2 with se846 and I have the AirPods Pro, and for the money the AirPods sound more than fine, but not even close to the se846+TW2. Did you check the settings in the Shure app?

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #22,002 of 22,946
That is strange indeed, I have the tried the tw2 with se846 and I have the AirPods Pro, and for the money the AirPods sound more than fine, but not even close to the se846+TW2. Did you check the settings in the Shure app?
And what exactly should be paid attention to in the settings? If describe the problem in short - SE846 sounded flat without low and high frequencies, unlike AirPods Pro

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #22,003 of 22,946
which filters used , white, blue or black. settings which iem connected, which eq settings, and regarding without low, the se846 is neutral and my opinion AirPods Pro kind of bass happy (I use them for the gym only)

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #22,004 of 22,946
I recently had a problem. I tried se846 with RMCE-TW2 and I couldn't get good sound. The sound was flat and very different from the one through the cord to the audio card. Then I put on Apple AirPods Pro and they sounded much better than the se846. This is strange because the se846 through the cord has always sounded very much better than the Apple AirPods Pro. And I tried different settings and an equalizer but it did not bring the desired result. The preset was selected by se846. There could be no confusion in this. Iphone 11 pro max
What could I be doing wrong? I hope it was definitely a mistake.
Try switching to SE215.
Once had the same experience, the SE846 setting seems a bit off in that it limits power just too much. And according to Shure it’s *only* the volume that is set by these profiles, no EQ involved.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #22,005 of 22,946
Try switching to SE215.
Once had the same experience, the SE846 setting seems a bit off in that it limits power just too much. And according to Shure it’s *only* the volume that is set by these profiles, no EQ involved.
That's right, that was probably the problem!
Please advise the best silicone sleeves for se846? Preferably those that can be bought on bhphotovideo or thomann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back