Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #21,631 of 22,945
My SE 846 is almost exclusively dedicated to my Sony ZX-507. Great sounding, great looking!

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #21,632 of 22,945
never mind, I did manage to remove the outer foam piece from the filter and pushed a little bit the inner own inside.
Thanks
Note that the position of the foam affects the sound amazingly much. Up at the open end of the filter reduces treble and makes a warmer sound. Pushed down to the end adds sub bass without hurting the treble so much. The original ones came with just 1 piece of foam in the blue and black filters, but the newer ones have 2. Since there's 2 pieces of foam, it makes for more possibilities like removing 1, putting 1 all the way at the bottom and the other at the top, etc. The black filter foam is also denser than the blue filter foam, making for more possibilities.

I've been using the white filter with 1 piece of blue filter foam pushed all the way down to the bottom.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #21,633 of 22,945
Note that the position of the foam affects the sound amazingly much. Up at the open end of the filter reduces treble and makes a warmer sound. Pushed down to the end adds sub bass without hurting the treble so much. The original ones came with just 1 piece of foam in the blue and black filters, but the newer ones have 2. Since there's 2 pieces of foam, it makes for more possibilities like removing 1, putting 1 all the way at the bottom and the other at the top, etc. The black filter foam is also denser than the blue filter foam, making for more possibilities.

I've been using the white filter with 1 piece of blue filter foam pushed all the way down to the bottom.
Thanks.
I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #21,634 of 22,945
Still use my 846 daily. Never get tired of that subbass. I know where Fablestruck is coming from with the presentation through the V30, as I used to use that as my pseudo dap. I still do from time to time for convenience when I can't be bothered with a flappy dongle (hehe), but I do prefer them through the Lotoo Paw S1 and warmer sources in general. I'm just not a fan of the ESS Sabre sound these days; it's a bit artificial for my tastes. Kinda wish I didn't sell my mojo, but if Chord do get around to releasing the mojo 2 I'll pick one of those up at some point. I like my sound organic!
Mojo 1 out of production now it seems as mojo 2 will soon be here

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #21,636 of 22,945
I think you either like what the 846 has to offer with it's tonality or you don't. No amount of foam rolling will turn it into a treble head's iem. It's what makes them so enjoyable to me, everyone on this forum seems to value treble above every other frequency, and hey, why not? But I'm glad that Shure applied the tuning they did because for chaps like myself, treble is the last on my list of priorities. That being said, the quality of the high frequencies is all there, for my tastes, it just doesn't extend to 90,000khz and shove it in your face. It must be an audiophile thing, but people often lavish praise on iems (and headphones) with anemic bass. To borrow a quote from the esteemed mind of Peter Griffin "it grinds my gears."

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #21,637 of 22,945
I think you either like what the 846 has to offer with it's tonality or you don't. No amount of foam rolling will turn it into a treble head's iem. It's what makes them so enjoyable to me, everyone on this forum seems to value treble above every other frequency, and hey, why not? But I'm glad that Shure applied the tuning they did because for chaps like myself, treble is the last on my list of priorities. That being said, the quality of the high frequencies is all there, for my tastes, it just doesn't extend to 90,000khz and shove it in your face. It must be an audiophile thing, but people often lavish praise on iems (and headphones) with anemic bass. To borrow a quote from the esteemed mind of Peter Griffin "it grinds my gears."
I agree with your point above.
I am not particularly fond of too much treble myself, which I often find fatiguing.
But that being said, while I find them very enjoyable I am one of those se846 users that have always felt that 'something' was missing.
I came to realize gradually that the problem is wholly based on subjective taste of course and has to do with two characteristics which I very much wished these IEMs had, namely:
  1. More expansive sonic headspace
  2. A better representation of 10-14khz region.
I truly hope Shure addresses these issues with the next 8xx version though I understand these remarks describe my subjective tastes rather than refer to any serious objective shortcomings of the product.
They are very good and still relevant, especially now that they are more reasonably priced at the 500-600 mark.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #21,638 of 22,945
I agree with your point above.
I am not particularly fond of too much treble myself, which I often find fatiguing.
But that being said, while I find them very enjoyable I am one of those se846 users that have always felt that 'something' was missing.
I came to realize gradually that the problem is wholly based on subjective taste of course and has to do with two characteristics which I very much wished these IEMs had, namely:
  1. More expansive sonic headspace
  2. A better representation of 10-14khz region.
I truly hope Shure addresses these issues with the next 8xx version though I understand these remarks describe my subjective tastes rather than refer to any serious objective shortcomings of the product.
They are very good and still relevant, especially now that they are more reasonably priced at the 500-600 mark.
I understand on the lack of upper treble, but on my qudelix 5k, the se846 actually reproduces it well when you turn it all the way up on the EQ at 16k. It becomes very crispy when you do that.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #21,639 of 22,945
I understand on the lack of upper treble, but on my qudelix 5k, the se846 actually reproduces it well when you turn it all the way up on the EQ at 16k. It becomes very crispy when you do that.
I use UAPP and Neutron for playback on my phone and DAP. Unfortunately I never managed to use EQ well. Somehow when I play with the treble it messes up the rest of the frequency range in an unacceptable manner.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #21,640 of 22,945

That reflects my feelings very well. I, too, have problems with a too much in my face treble presentation, especially since it’s artificial to me: I mainly listen to electronic music on headphones/in-ears, but still I do know how instruments sound… this treble emphasis tries to give the impression of a level of resolution that’s just not there necessarily. Or throntest way round: actual resolution can be there without more treble than in real life.

to me the SE846 represents a very natural sound signature (sometimes called organic) that’s quite true to nature. It also represents bass in a very natural way: bass moves. And that should be represented through headphones or in-ears just as well. In my opinion if they don’t, they fail to represent music.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #21,641 of 22,945
That reflects my feelings very well. I, too, have problems with a too much in my face treble presentation, especially since it’s artificial to me: I mainly listen to electronic music on headphones/in-ears, but still I do know how instruments sound… this treble emphasis tries to give the impression of a level of resolution that’s just not there necessarily. Or throntest way round: actual resolution can be there without more treble than in real life.

to me the SE846 represents a very natural sound signature (sometimes called organic) that’s quite true to nature. It also represents bass in a very natural way: bass moves. And that should be represented through headphones or in-ears just as well. In my opinion if they don’t, they fail to represent music.
I would agree about the reproductive truthfulness the se846 might have as the mids and bass are concerned.
But over and again if I A/B these with my studio monitors, while they do sound as cohesive and real to an actual monitor speaker as regards the mid/bass region (they actually have a better bass resolution due to lack of room resonances to be fair), this is not the case with the treble.
That is, I find myself effortlessly letting go in the treble sonic space, so to speak, and enjoy the detail more on my monitors than the se846. While the detail is there I believe the 10khz drop does not mirror the actual music played. This is my interpretation at least.

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #21,642 of 22,945
Wonder to what extend putting in the Shure treble filters improve the treble?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #21,645 of 22,945
Seems you are correct.
I changed that usb cable and viola!
Much better.
My previous USB cable must have been damaged or something.
Have to admit.
After a week of daily use and experimenting the impression is that indeed the SE846 scale up beautifully plugged to the Mojo.
The richness of the mids is incredible and the difference with other sources is quite discernible on this matter.
I had no idea ..
20210820_155123.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back