Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #21,601 of 22,945
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting this result. I think I'll pass on the IE900 for the time being and look at something different. Thanks for the comparisons.

Well amped... Now I'm wondering if I'm getting the full SE846 experience. I've been using a Qudelix 5K, and just plugging it in on USB for desktop use.
My LG phone with Quad Dac on High Impedance mode outputs 2 full volts.
I use the blue filter ( Thrish Mode)

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #21,603 of 22,945
I just compared on my Qudelix 5K between its balanced and single ended outputs. It uses the same ES9218p DACs that I think LG uses. The single ended goes up to 1V (2V in high power mode), and balanced can do 2V (4V in high power mode). I haven't tried high power mode since they say it raises the noise floor and recommend against it for sensitive IEMs.

Best as I can hear, the balanced output gives the SE846 punchier, weightier sounding bass. I hoped I wouldn't hear any difference since balanced uses both DAC chips and nukes the battery life.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #21,604 of 22,945
I just compared on my Qudelix 5K between its balanced and single ended outputs. It uses the same ES9218p DACs that I think LG uses. The single ended goes up to 1V (2V in high power mode), and balanced can do 2V (4V in high power mode). I haven't tried high power mode since they say it raises the noise floor and recommend against it for sensitive IEMs.

Best as I can hear, the balanced output gives the SE846 punchier, weightier sounding bass. I hoped I wouldn't hear any difference since balanced uses both DAC chips and nukes the battery life.
The LG Quad Dac on high impedance mode is dead quiet with the SE846.
The Fostex HPA8 same thing under low and up to mid gain. The interesting fact is that they sound great in low gain :)

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #21,605 of 22,945

Balanced output will always beats unbalanced... and if you use an upgraded cable you'll hear and even bigger difference. After I listened to my DAP with a balanced silver cable I can't go back to unbalanced on it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #21,606 of 22,945
Gotta agree on both balanced and silver cables.

I was originally using an ES100 for my source. First I moved from the stock cable to an inexpensive balanced cable from Brainwavz that is at least allegedly silver plated copper. (Isn't the stock cable SPC too?) This change made no noticeable difference for me. I then got a Fiio LC-2.5D pure monocrystaline silver balanced cable after reading here that pure silver makes a difference. That made it sound better, notably making guitars sound crisper.

I later got a Qudelix 5K, mostly because 10-band parametric EQ is nice. This has a Sabre DAC that generally sounds brighter than the ES100's AKM, and improves cymbal detail. Now on the 5K I hear better bass if I plug the cable into the balanced jack, compared to using it with a 3.5-to-2.5 adapter on single ended. I am not swapping the cable on the SE846 because I don't want to put extra wear on the MMCX jack, and because Fiio's MMCX connectors are super tight in Shure's jacks so inserting or removing them takes significant force.

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #21,607 of 22,945
Gotta agree on both balanced and silver cables.

I was originally using an ES100 for my source. First I moved from the stock cable to an inexpensive balanced cable from Brainwavz that is at least allegedly silver plated copper. (Isn't the stock cable SPC too?) This change made no noticeable difference for me. I then got a Fiio LC-2.5D pure monocrystaline silver balanced cable after reading here that pure silver makes a difference. That made it sound better, notably making guitars sound crisper.

I later got a Qudelix 5K, mostly because 10-band parametric EQ is nice. This has a Sabre DAC that generally sounds brighter than the ES100's AKM, and improves cymbal detail. Now on the 5K I hear better bass if I plug the cable into the balanced jack, compared to using it with a 3.5-to-2.5 adapter on single ended. I am not swapping the cable on the SE846 because I don't want to put extra wear on the MMCX jack, and because Fiio's MMCX connectors are super tight in Shure's jacks so inserting or removing them takes significant force.
I use that same FiiO cable. It turned out to be a great way to pair the SE846 with the Kann Cube. Added lots of detail and expanded both the high and low ends. Also have to agree on the MMCX fitting. They are super tight but every so often I do change the cable to use with my phone or computer. My next cable with be an 8-braid silver.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #21,608 of 22,945
I use that same FiiO cable. It turned out to be a great way to pair the SE846 with the Kann Cube. Added lots of detail and expanded both the high and low ends. Also have to agree on the MMCX fitting. They are super tight but every so often I do change the cable to use with my phone or computer. My next cable with be an 8-braid silver.
Why swap the cable? I just use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter (the tiny one from ddHiFi). Do you have a cable in mind? My Fiio one has gotten stiff over a couple years, as seems to be the fate of every cable I use, thanks to the type of skin oils I have. It's still plenty usable, I just wish it was more pliable.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #21,609 of 22,945
I took advantage of Sennheiser' s very good return policy and purchased the IE900s.
They are great. The best dynamic driver iem imho.
However, they are less efficient than the SE846 and the mids are decent but recessed in comparison.
The bass is excellent but a well amped SE846's is as as good if not better and fuller, specially the mid bass.
Treble wise, the IE900s extend further, but in ocassions it becomes fatiguing.
Soundtage is wider at expense of the mids.
I ended up returning them.
For the record, my to go sources are a LG phone with Quad Dac in high impedance mode and a Fostex HPA8 Dac.
nice write up thanks

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #21,610 of 22,945
Why swap the cable? I just use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter (the tiny one from ddHiFi). Do you have a cable in mind? My Fiio one has gotten stiff over a couple years, as seems to be the fate of every cable I use, thanks to the type of skin oils I have. It's still plenty usable, I just wish it was more pliable.
Just haven't gotten one. I don't have any particular cable in mind yet but it might be one of the Effects Audio or DHC as I've read good things about them.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #21,613 of 22,945
The TrishD mod was one of the first filter mods. The user TrishD had removed the foam, forgot whether it was at the top or bottom of the tube, put it all the way at the bottom, and found it sounded less dark that way. You can also make something in between by putting the foam partway down the tube -- it will help you get them at the same level if you shine a bright light through the tubes to see where they're positioned.

The best tool I've found for manipulating the foams is a dressmaker pin, the sort that's all metal and has a small almost flat metal head. The head is great for pushing foams down tubes, and you can put foams down both tubes to about the same height by grasping the pin so only the desired length is sticking out between your fingers. Then take the point and smack it on a hard surface at a very slight angle so just the very point bends slightly. This makes it easy to "hook" foams with it to pull them out without too much frustration and without scratching up the inside of the tube.

I've been using a related mod where I put 1 of the 2 bits of foam from the blue filter into the white one and push it all the way down. I wanted something basically like the white filter, but a bit less bright and with more sub bass. Note that blue filter foam is a bit less dense than black filter foam, though they look the same especially when pulled out. I think it's ultimately the same foam material, but the bits in the black filter are cut ever so slightly larger so they squish tighter when inserted, making them denser.

Careful when pushing the foam down, you don't want to puncture the acoustic damper at the bottom of the filter tube.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #21,614 of 22,945
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Currently using blacks with no filters.

I got the Galaxy S21 and lack of 3.5mm gave me an excuse to buy a bluetooth DAC as I find the Dragonfly Cobalt a bit inconvenient with my phone. Got the Fiio BTR3 and wow I wish I bought this earlier, it's replaced DFC for me. Just pairs so well with SE846!

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #21,615 of 22,945
Just swapped out the comply TSX-100 I normally use for a pair of spin fit cp800 to compare. Have to say the cp800 are noticeably brighter to the point that I had to switch the filters back to blue from the white I had been using. Definite gain in imaging and instrument placement but the bass also sounds “leaner” albeit still very present and still deep, detailed and “layered”. Not sure whether the changes to the bass are for me or not, I need more time to audition and decide, but the improvements in mid range, treble and imaging very positive. Obviously the comply’s isolate much better due to their foam.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back