Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #21,580 of 22,945
Haven't heard it yet, but in my experience a dynamic done well, can sound better and more realistic then multiple balanced armatures.
I agree that it isn’t always easy to match multiple BAs as opposed to a single transducer. Having said that the larger mass of a single relatively large transducer can be harder to manage that relatively “lighter” BAs. I would love to hear the IE900s to get an idea of what they are capable of.

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #21,582 of 22,945
The IE900 diameter is only 7 mm, so there should be no problems moving the membrane of the driver fast and accurate
That’s actually quite large for an IEM and also has the voice coil attached which adds further mass. Overall compared to BAs, dynamic drivers have a much larger mass which leads to the frequent criticism that they can sound bloated etc. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it isn’t a good headphone or even that it will suffer from any of those problems. Frankly I would love to hear them.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #21,584 of 22,945
I don’t think either BAs or dynamic drivers are inherently better than the other. Both have some advantages, and both allow for the construction of well tuned in-ears.

that said, I generally prefer dynamic drivers for their bass (yes, I do like my bass a bit more dirty…), but, as the SE846 demonstrates so well, BA bass can also be very satisfying. Yet I hear that specific fatness I’m looking for less often with pure BA designs…

I once owned the IE800 and while it’s bass was nice it’s somehow fizzy, hollow treble did not work for me. With the IE900 I‘m q bit hesitant due to the aluminum housing… we do have Winters in Austria. I also don’t quite like the design.

Bit the main reason for not taking a deeper look at the IE900 is my 64audio N8, which does everything I want, plus my SE846 which I still love. No need for new toys at this time I guess…

And yes, the clear SE846 is of course the best looking variant :wink:

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #21,585 of 22,945
I'd call the blue one underrated. From the official product pictures it looks like some uninspired plain blue plastic thing, but in person it has a nice shiny sparkle and with light at the right angle has purple highlights.

I ordered clear from Shure's website, and the store that fulfilled the order sent a blue one. I was going to send it back since from the photo on the box it's the ugliest. But the customer photos I saw online I decided to open it up anyway and was really impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back