Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #21,286 of 22,954
Hi! since I didn't find anything specific about this configuration I'm asking my question here:

I'm thinking of getting a FiiO M11 for my first DAP to use it with my SE846s I recently got used.

Has anybody tested this configuration and can give feedback on how good they play together?

FiiO states an Output Impedance of <1Ohm, but also recommends it for use with headphones >12Ohm.

I‘m looking for a DAP for my 846s that allows the installation of streaming apps, is bluetooth compatible (recieve and transmit) and allows airplay. Best would be if I can get such a device used for about 300$.

The only device that matches all these requirements so far is the FiiO M11, I‘m unsure about compatibility with high sensitivity IEMs tho.

I‘d be also interested in all alternatives. IBasso dx160 comes to my mind, however UI is inferior from what I‘ve read and I think it also has no Airplay support.

In general what are your opinions on M11 vs IPhone XS?

Thx and have a good day!

In my experience, impedance matching is crucial for getting the best sound out the 846. I went from a DAP with a measured OI of 1.12 ohms to one with an OI of 0.38 ohms, and it made a big difference for clarity and treble presence. More than going from the stock filter to the white one. With low OI and the white filter in, the 846 sounds magnificent and highly detailed. It's still got the lack of post-10khz treble, but lots of IEMs do, even at $1k. These specs list the output impedance of the M11 (oops, that's the Pro version!) at 1.1 ohms, making it very close to the OI my former DAP had. As such, it's going to make the 846 sound a bit more muffled and muddy, in addition to whatever coloration the player has on its own. If you are determined to keep the 846, look into a different DAP. In this case, output impedance will make more of a difference to the sound than DAC chip, volume control, or just about everything short of the gain stage. If you are determined to keep the DAP, look into a cable with the lowest resistance you can find. Let's put aside the can of worms about cable quality, since this isn't about that. Cable resistance adds to source resistance, and raising the latter changes the resulting frequency response and muddies the sound. Of course, finding a low resistance cable can be harder to find than a DAP with a low OI. You can also experiment with various tips to change the FR. The 846 can be a finicky little diva, but man, when you get the set-up right, they absolutely shine!

EDIT: The M11 seems to have the same output impedance as the M11 Pro, 1.1 ohms, while the DX160 has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms or 0.4 ohms according to this. As such, I'd go with the DX160.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #21,287 of 22,954
Hi! since I didn't find anything specific about this configuration I'm asking my question here:

I'm thinking of getting a FiiO M11 for my first DAP to use it with my SE846s I recently got used.

Has anybody tested this configuration and can give feedback on how good they play together?

FiiO states an Output Impedance of <1Ohm, but also recommends it for use with headphones >12Ohm.

I‘m looking for a DAP for my 846s that allows the installation of streaming apps, is bluetooth compatible (recieve and transmit) and allows airplay. Best would be if I can get such a device used for about 300$.

The only device that matches all these requirements so far is the FiiO M11, I‘m unsure about compatibility with high sensitivity IEMs tho.

I‘d be also interested in all alternatives. IBasso dx160 comes to my mind, however UI is inferior from what I‘ve read and I think it also has no Airplay support.

Thx and have a good day!
If you are thinking M11, might want to be quick as Fiio are discontinuing them shortly.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #21,288 of 22,954

Thx and have a good day!

Thx and have a good day!
I have the M11. I find it wonderful with my sennheiser ie400 pro for example but not so with my se846. I think the problem in my case is that it seems to me that it muffles a little the lower mids and overpowers the higher mids-treble region which somehow messes up the sound for me. I prefer keeping the se846 on their Shure bt2 cable or if wired plugging them to my lg v30 but not the M11.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #21,289 of 22,954
I went from a DAP with a measured OI of 1.12 ohms to one with an OI of 0.38 ohms, and it made a big difference for clarity and treble presence. More than going from the stock filter to the white one. With low OI and the white filter in, the 846 sounds magnificent and highly detailed.
If you are determined to keep the 846, look into a different DAP.
I‘m definitely keeping the 846s. I could have bought the M11 very cheap used, but almost now. Thats why I was eyeing with it in the first place.

however I was afraid

If you are thinking M11, might want to be quick as Fiio are discontinuing them shortly.

would have bought used anyway. Thanks nevertheless.
but not so with my se846.
Thanks!

i‘m tending more towards a USB-DAC (Chord Mojo) and use a Rasperry Pi 4 as Streaming device (airplay mostly) for my home hifi.
I‘m still kinda concerned with the size of the Mojo. Hmmm, think I just need to get it to try if it works with me. What I‘ve read it‘s supposed to be a very good match for the SE846s!

edit: I‘m still considering the IBasso DX160 and make do with living without airplay and using bluetooth instead. Bluetooth is only possible in APTX(macOS) and AAC(iOS) though which kinda sucks.
Also what‘s speaking against an android DAP... I‘ve yet to find one which supports Apple Music. That means I‘d have to move to spotify (alongside of tidal and my flac collection). I‘m not completely against moving away from Apple Music however trying to avoid it due to convenience.

edit 2: what‘s annoying me most with my current situation (iPhone XS - apple lightning-adapter - stock cable) are the random dropouts and having to press play again. And that although I‘ve been using the adapter for 1 week for now... also not being able to charge while listening to music is just..... yea, you got me.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #21,292 of 22,954
I’m getting an Astell & Kern SR25 delivered tomorrow so will be interesting to see how the 846 sounds on a 3.5 unbalanced output using master quality on Tidal.
Current setup is just iPhone X using adapter.
Curious about your impressions, since the SR25 has an Output Impedance of 1,6/1,8Ohm, which is said to be a lot for the 846s!

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #21,293 of 22,954
Curious about your impressions, since the SR25 has an Output Impedance of 1,6/1,8Ohm, which is said to be a lot for the 846s!
This is true but I would say one thing about things like output impedance. I think far too much emphasis is put on this. I can understand it from a power transfer perspective but if you were to get 10 DAPs in the same price bracket (say within £100 of each other) and they all had the exact same output impedance, you’d still notice a lot of difference between them.

Signal processing speed and SNR play a much greater impact. If you ever needed proof of this then just try playing any audio file from your phone using different software without built-in EQ and the difference is staggering.

Will see how it goes anyhow :)

Saw a really good review

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #21,294 of 22,954
I‘m definitely keeping the 846s. I could have bought the M11 very cheap used, but almost now. Thats why I was eyeing with it in the first place.

however I was afraid

Thanks!

i‘m tending more towards a USB-DAC (Chord Mojo) and use a Rasperry Pi 4 as Streaming device (airplay mostly) for my home hifi.
I‘m still kinda concerned with the size of the Mojo. Hmmm, think I just need to get it to try if it works with me. What I‘ve read it‘s supposed to be a very good match for the SE846s!

edit: I‘m still considering the IBasso DX160 and make do with living without airplay and using bluetooth instead. Bluetooth is only possible in APTX(macOS) and AAC(iOS) though which kinda sucks.
Also what‘s speaking against an android DAP... I‘ve yet to find one which supports Apple Music. That means I‘d have to move to spotify (alongside of tidal and my flac collection). I‘m not completely against moving away from Apple Music however trying to avoid it due to convenience.

edit 2: what‘s annoying me most with my current situation (iPhone XS - apple lightning-adapter - stock cable) are the random dropouts and having to press play again. And that although I‘ve been using the adapter for 1 week for now... also not being able to charge while listening to music is just..... yea, you got me.

While the Mojo's output impedance is generally low, it does unfortunately not stay this low over the entire frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz but climbs towards the latter, which results in a 1.25 dB drop around 8.5 kHz (when used with the SE846), which is something that you may consider, along with that the headphone output is hissier compared to the Apple DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #21,295 of 22,954
This is true but I would say one thing about things like output impedance. I think far too much emphasis is put on this. I can understand it from a power transfer perspective but if you were to get 10 DAPs in the same price bracket (say within £100 of each other) and they all had the exact same output impedance, you’d still notice a lot of difference between them.

Signal processing speed and SNR play a much greater impact. If you ever needed proof of this then just try playing any audio file from your phone using different software without built-in EQ and the difference is staggering.

Will see how it goes anyhow :)

Saw a really good review
Let us know how you find it.

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #21,296 of 22,954
While the Mojo's output impedance is generally low, it does unfortunately not stay this low over the entire frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz but climbs towards the latter, which results in a 1.25 dB drop around 8.5 kHz, which is something that you may consider, along with that the headphone output is hissier compared to the Apple DAC.
Thx for the input. I just bought a 2020 DX160 for 320€ (instead of 399€) and will see how I like it. I hope I‘m not too much affected by the wifi noise that is said to occur with unbalanced cables, however I wanted to try balanced cables anyway.. so might give that a shot also.
has anyone experiences with FiiOs LC-4,4c for about 60$? Is it worth the upgrade considering there are waaaaaay more expensive options in the balanced-market?

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #21,297 of 22,954

however I was afraid

Thanks!

Apple Music has an Android app that works perfectly.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #21,299 of 22,954
Thx for the input. I just bought a 2020 DX160 for 320€ (instead of 399€) and will see how I like it. I hope I‘m not too much affected by the wifi noise that is said to occur with unbalanced cables, however I wanted to try balanced cables anyway.. so might give that a shot also.
has anyone experiences with FiiOs LC-4,4c for about 60$? Is it worth the upgrade considering there are waaaaaay more expensive options in the balanced-market?

I recently got the LC-4.4C to use with a Lotoo PAW S1. I wont go into sound comparisons as I'm not a cabeliever, but it's a nice looking cable with no microphonics, much nicer than the stock one, anyway. If you want to try a balanced cable then it's a good place to start given the relatively low cost.

11424199.jpg

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #21,300 of 22,954
I‘ve found some old forum posts saying it doesn‘t work with iBassos OS due to App store certificates or sth like that. I need to try that out!

I don't have an iBasso DAP so you may be correct. I have used it on Sony, Fiio, Hiby and A&K. Note that A&K currently needs an older version (3.3.2) to work but that's likely temporary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back