Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #21,256 of 22,945
i think i’m gonna get a custom iem
To eliminate the “stuffy” ear feeling and stereophonic.

can anyone suggest which custom iem that has similar signature as the 846 ? Especially in the low and mid ?

Custom changes the frequency response of any IEM, and you don't know what the effect will be until it's made (and since it's custom it's difficult to re-sell). Also, it will conform even more closely to your inner ear shape than a universal--which might make it feel even stuffier.

If it were me, I'd get a higher-quality universal and try a bunch of different tips--foam bullets, foam domes, flange, soft silicone, stiffer silicone--for comfort and sound.

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #21,257 of 22,945
Hey everybody!
Good to be amongst fellow 846 owners. Proud to say that after 5 months of saving up I finally took the plunge and went for it :)
Beautiful sound but still playing with filters. Will post my results and will also try blue filter mod.
Previously I sent back the 535 since it was purely for monitoring and therefore made me feel a bit meh about my music collection. But these...oh boy oh boy! :)

I was also very much into the excellent IMR range but lacking sound isolation and sticky-outty fit just didn’t suit unfortunately.

Thanks guys. Been a pleasure reading all the comments here.

Dave

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #21,258 of 22,945
Thanks for your responses guys, looks like I’ll be keeping the 846’s on the true wireless adapter most of the time then even if I am to workout - I assume they are sturdy enough to resist a bit of sweat?

It does impact the sound quality quite a bit though compared to wired and I am somewhat frustrated by the fact I can’t just freely swap the wireless adapters in and out when I’m home for more critical listening with my Chord Mojo!

Has anyone had to replace the mmcx sockets? I can’t imagine that is cheap to do...

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #21,259 of 22,945
Thanks for your responses guys, looks like I’ll be keeping the 846’s on the true wireless adapter most of the time then even if I am to workout - I assume they are sturdy enough to resist a bit of sweat?

It does impact the sound quality quite a bit though compared to wired and I am somewhat frustrated by the fact I can’t just freely swap the wireless adapters in and out when I’m home for more critical listening with my Chord Mojo!

Has anyone had to replace the mmcx sockets? I can’t imagine that is cheap to do...

Do you really "need" the TWS feature? I would personally prefer to use the shorter of the two included cables (if Shure still includes it with the SE846 - they did when I bought mine years ago; came with two cables that differed in length) and use a small DAP or Bluetooth receiver.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #21,260 of 22,945
Oh. My. Goodness. I hate you guys. I hate you all so much. You’ve just ruined 99.9% of all headphones and IEMs for me 😂

Tried the 846 with the modded blue filters and thought “this is terrible, what’s the big deal? Tinny trashy treble and horrible resolution”
Then I realised that not only did I remove the foam but also the white inserts. Put them back in and AAAHHHHHH!! Heavenly eye-watering sounds a plenty!!

I’m really not kidding guys, this is legendary. The soundstage is like that of Campfire Solaris now. Unbelievable! Psytrance on this is an absolute dream! Now going through all my tunes 🤣

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #21,261 of 22,945
It just makes life a whole lot easier and when lying down on a gym bench chest first I always found cables to get caught and tightened so they would pull my earphones out. Think I have all the cables and also the BT2 adapter but pretty sure I’ll stick with the true wireless solution for ease.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #21,262 of 22,945
Oh. My. Goodness. I hate you guys. I hate you all so much. You’ve just ruined 99.9% of all headphones and IEMs for me 😂

Tried the 846 with the modded blue filters and thought “this is terrible, what’s the big deal? Tinny trashy treble and horrible resolution”
Then I realised that not only did I remove the foam but also the white inserts. Put them back in and AAAHHHHHH!! Heavenly eye-watering sounds a plenty!!

I’m really not kidding guys, this is legendary. The soundstage is like that of Campfire Solaris now. Unbelievable! Psytrance on this is an absolute dream! Now going through all my tunes 🤣
What filter mod did your try? There’s so many out there! A link would be amazing :)

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #21,263 of 22,945
It just makes life a whole lot easier and when lying down on a gym bench chest first I always found cables to get caught and tightened so they would pull my earphones out. Think I have all the cables and also the BT2 adapter but pretty sure I’ll stick with the true wireless solution for ease.
Sorry for obvious suggestion but have you tried utilising the cable clip so the slack remains constant?

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #21,265 of 22,945
The new “Final E type tips” come with a shure/ westone adapter, I’ve been toying around with my tip collection and finding a couple of good results, mainly with acoustune aet08.

Sorry for the lazyness, can anyone explain the “modded blue filter” thing? Ill hit the search button later on today, though any updated help would be appreciated

Here’s the tips I’m talking about

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #21,266 of 22,945
My go to filter choice for the last few years has been the blue filter with the black foam disc(s) removed.

For a bit of context, I prefer a lush, warm, organic sound that's not shy on the bass. This setup delivers the goods to my ears!

The new “Final E type tips” come with a shure/ westone adapter, I’ve been toying around with my tip collection and finding a couple of good results, mainly with acoustune aet08.

Sorry for the lazyness, can anyone explain the “modded blue filter” thing? Ill hit the search button later on today, though any updated help would be appreciated

I've wanted the Final E tips for a while but never had much luck with availability in the UK. I have the nozzle bore adapters from previous spitfits, though, and mainly use the Sony silicon tips. I prefer the more open inner-diameter of these to the OEM Shure silicon ones. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used those...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #21,267 of 22,945

Hey Alex,

Yeah sure thing. So you know the white, blue and black filters that can be changed out right? You get the blue one and get a sewing needle. Then insert the needle inside that filter but make sure you enter through the larger outward facing end (see attached photo I’ve annotated).
Insert the needle as it hugs the inside wall and scoop out the black foam from inside.
There are two tiny square pieces but it may come out as one long rectangular bit if the two have stuck together.

Again, make sure you insert the needle only through that end because the other end contains a white muzzler which you don’t want to interfere with.

Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Dave

Attachments

• D833D26B-1F8E-4F2B-B773-C52EB8E7DDBC.jpeg
    D833D26B-1F8E-4F2B-B773-C52EB8E7DDBC.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #21,268 of 22,945
Hey Alex,

Yeah sure thing. So you know the white, blue and black filters that can be changed out right? You get the blue one and get a sewing needle. Then insert the needle inside that filter but make sure you enter through the larger outward facing end (see attached photo I’ve annotated).
Insert the needle as it hugs the inside wall and scoop out the black foam from inside.
There are two tiny square pieces but it may come out as one long rectangular bit if the two have stuck together.

Again, make sure you insert the needle only through that end because the other end contains a white muzzler which you don’t want to interfere with.

Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Dave
Man! You are amazing!

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #21,270 of 22,945

Just out of curiosity, why don‘t you keep the TW adapters on the se215, and use that combo at the gym, plus if an accident happens, it’s not your expensive pair of IEMs. Then use the se846 with a cable, hooked to the Mojo when not too active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back