Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #21,241 of 22,945
Hi
Im new to iem
I just tried my friends 846 and i love the sound from it
Bass particularly is punchy but not boomy
The mid is quite thick as i like it
The only complaint i have is the treeble a little bit lacking for my preference.

but the main thing is that i never considered an iem because i never feel comfortable with those rubber/silicone/foam tips sticking inside my ear
I’m very prone to stereophonic.

anyway im really interested to get an iem
My budget is around $1000

like i told you i like the sound signature of the 846
But i welcome a bit more detail treeble.

i think i’m gonna get a custom iem
To eliminate the “stuffy” ear feeling and stereophonic.

can anyone suggest which custom iem that has similar signature as the 846 ? Especially in the low and mid ?

thank you so much
Which filter was your friend using to shape the treble sound? Could it be that a different filter would help with the treble?

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #21,242 of 22,945
Which filter was your friend using to shape the treble sound? Could it be that a different filter would help with the treble?
I did tried with the brightest filter
and compared it to a low end fiio fh3
And i can hear the differences that the treble of the shure is not as clear or extended as the fiio

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #21,243 of 22,945
I did tried with the brightest filter
and compared it to a low end fiio fh3
And i can hear the differences that the treble of the shure is not as clear or extended as the fiio
Yeah, I think the se846 is nearly perfect in so many ways, and I personally find the low-mid treble to be plenty “sparkly” and clear, but it lacks extension. The treble takes a dive off a steep cliff after 9KHz.

Right now, 2 IEMs come to mind, though they are both hybrids, with dynamic drivers for bass. Both are available to order as CIEMs.

ThieAudio Legacy 4
83548CFF-6A5F-4938-8C2C-F30F8227BF3F.jpeg

ThieAudio Clairvoyance
0DBA0AE5-7453-47CF-848C-5E3A41F31399.jpeg

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #21,244 of 22,945
Yeah, I think the se846 is nearly perfect in so many ways, and I personally find the low-mid treble to be plenty “sparkly” and clear, but it lacks extension. The treble takes a dive off a steep cliff after 9KHz.

Right now, 2 IEMs come to mind, though they are both hybrids, with dynamic drivers for bass. Both are available to order as CIEMs.

ThieAudio Legacy 4

ThieAudio Clairvoyance
Interesting ill findout more about them, thanks

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #21,245 of 22,945

ThieAudio Legacy 4

ThieAudio Clairvoyance

The upgrade I've had my eye on is the Unique Melody MEST. So close to the 846 with the white filter, but with better treble extension and no 8k peak.

graph.png

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #21,246 of 22,945
The upgrade I've had my eye on is the Unique Melody MEST. So close to the 846 with the white filter, but with better treble extension and no 8k peak.

graph.png
But they dont do custom as well right ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #21,247 of 22,945

UM does customs, but they have a slightly different sound signature according to Crin's graphs.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #21,248 of 22,945
UM does customs, but they have a slightly different sound signature according to Crin's graphs.
The UM MEST does come in CIEM form, but I’m not sure if that is out of the price range you wanted, as it is a lot pricier than the se846. The CIEM does sound different, with a less peaky treble, but even more extension (per user impressions).

While the overall tuning is similar between the se846 and the MEST, they do sound quite different. Certainly, either MEST solves the issue of lack of treble extension, as the treble is really a major strength of the MEST, with superb extension, and air. One issue is that the treble is so extended and detailed, that it doesn’t sound as natural to me as the se846 does, but certain ear tips do help in this regard. The midrange sounds slightly recessed with the MEST compared to the se846, due to the treble emphasis of the MEST. The bass is actually quite similar, with fast, detailed, punchy bass, though slightly more potent on the MEST, with its DD.

EA13F7E3-087F-4410-8B0D-34BDBEBB8847.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #21,249 of 22,945
thanks for the heads up

but how is the “bone conducting” thingy ?
never tried them
Do they vibrate in your ear ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #21,250 of 22,945
thanks for the heads up

but how is the “bone conducting” thingy ?
never tried them
Do they vibrate in your ear ?
I can’t feel them vibrating with my fingers, and it‘s not an obvious feeling of vibration, but is more of a sensation, where the sound seems more lifelike, and not just tiny drivers in an IEM. Warning though, it seems they are NOT good if you suffer from tinnitus. The BCD seems to exacerbate it, per some reports.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #21,251 of 22,945
Hi folks,

Wow Page 1417 of posts, I sure am late to the party!

Anyhow, I received my Shure SE846's the other day and now see what all the fuss is about... They are glorious in every way.

I'm using the black filter as I'm a bit of a basshead but also appreciate how forward the mids are in these things, it does wonders for the vocals!

I also purchased the true wireless adapter for these things which also came with an SE215 set of buds. These also sound decent and am happy to use them as my gym earbud.

Couple of questions if I may:
1) has anyone extensively compared the sound from true wireless adapters to wired with an amp/dac? I've got a chord mojo which I use but haven't had too much time to A/B yet.

2) how sturdy are the mmcx plugs? I was planning on swapping the 846's with the 215's almost daily to use in the gym but am worried I could damage the connectors quite quickly doing so?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #21,252 of 22,945
MMCX are quite robust but the less swapping the better. If you're using the original cable that came with the 846 then you have need have no worries about using that in the gym. It's a pretty tanky cable. When I used to go to the gym frequently (in a pre-lockdown world, now my exercise consists exclusively of lifting beers) I even took them with an aftermarket cable and even that more delicate one was up to the job.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #21,254 of 22,945
Hi folks,

Wow Page 1417 of posts, I sure am late to the party!

Anyhow, I received my Shure SE846's the other day and now see what all the fuss is about... They are glorious in every way.

I'm using the black filter as I'm a bit of a basshead but also appreciate how forward the mids are in these things, it does wonders for the vocals!

I also purchased the true wireless adapter for these things which also came with an SE215 set of buds. These also sound decent and am happy to use them as my gym earbud.

Couple of questions if I may:
1) has anyone extensively compared the sound from true wireless adapters to wired with an amp/dac? I've got a chord mojo which I use but haven't had too much time to A/B yet.

2) how sturdy are the mmcx plugs? I was planning on swapping the 846's with the 215's almost daily to use in the gym but am worried I could damage the connectors quite quickly doing so?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
I haven’t had any problems with my MMCX sockets on my pair of se846, however, I do NOT recommend switching cables often, and definitely not daily. It may end up costing you a lot more in the long run than buying a dedicated TW adapter for the se846.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #21,255 of 22,945
I think the mmcx on this are the sturdiest I’ve encountered, swapping cables made a huge difference imc, went with my dunu noble and felt a different tonality and thicker notes imo, but I don’t want to stir waters with the cable thing, no war intended

The mojo and wireless comparison, it will be quite obvious to you righ away, the mojo smokes even some new mid/ high end dacs, I’m an advocate for it, the difference in holography, soundstage, bass quality, mids and overall sound is outstanding, even 5 years afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back