2.0 Vrms into 32 Ohm1.4 Vrms into 32 Ohm
4.0 Vrms into 600 Ohm2.0 Vrms into 600 Ohm
Dimensions(L x W x H)42 x 8 x 22 mm
Audio formats
DSD64 / 128 DoP
DXD384/352.5 kHz
PCMUp to 384 kHz
MQA RenderingUp to 384 kHz
Yes I saw that too but it doesn’t have the output impedance which is fundamental Information when pairing to low impedance headphones like the SE846s.

Have you been able to compare it to the DFC to give us a comparison? Why do you feel it is “much better”?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #21,215 of 22,945
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #21,216 of 22,945
Going to throw a controversial hat in the ring; the 846 really don't need to be run balanced. It's all well and good you saying the Sparrow is better balanced than the cobalt single ended, but that doesn't mean a whole lot when the comparison isn't done with the 846. I wouldn't be advocating people with a cobalt run out to buy the sparrow unless they want a balanced option. Most often when a device has both single ended and balanced, the balanced sounds better because that's what it's been optimised for, the single ended is merely there for convenience. As the cobalt only has a single ended out you can be sure that's what it's circuitry has been designed around.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #21,219 of 22,945
That's cool, it was just your claim of "much better" is a phrase that gets used with a bit too much verve around these parts. There's really not that much of a difference between my Dangerous Source and PAW S1 in reality.
That was my original point. Subjective comments like “much better” need to be justified.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #21,221 of 22,945
For me the Sparrow's SQ via single ended sounds similar to that of the Cobalt listening with the se846, fiio fh7 and beyerdynamic t5p. Moving to the balance output, the fh7 and the t5p really sound much improved (clarity, dynamics, stage) as much as I precieve (did not try the se846 balanced).

Have a look here as well https://audiofool.reviews/2020/07/25/earmen-sparrow/

https://www.headfonia.com/earmen-sparrow-review/3/
I think it’s worth looking into but I can’t see anyone claiming this is a DF slayer (alternative, yes, but not “much better”) and more importantly I can’t find the output impedance.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #21,222 of 22,945
Guys. For me (I am not a professional audiophile) , the SQ of the Earman Sparrow via the balanced output (with the FH7 and the T5p headphones), is superior to the SQ via the DFC using 3.5 to 2.5 adapter for the same headphones.

I recomnend further reading of reviews, and comparisons.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #21,223 of 22,945
Guys. For me (I am not a professional audiophile) , the SQ of the Earman Sparrow via the balanced output (with the FH7 and the T5p headphones), is superior to the SQ via the DFC using 3.5 to 2.5 adapter for the same headphones.

Appreciated but with all due respect considering that this thread is for shure SE846s that have a particularly low impedance and that we (or at least I) cannot find any mention of the output impedance of the sparrow man your experience with other headphones may not be applicable and could even be counterproductive for someone looking to match a DAC/DAP to the SE846s.

I think it’s good that you mentioned it so that people can try and learn more about it but the lack of technical info does work against it for now.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #21,224 of 22,945
Wow! really did not want to start such a debate.
I do not have any further tech details regarding output impedance of either the SE or Balance outputs. as a matter of fact it does not interest me a bit. All I care is whether I like or dislike what I get from my gear.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #21,225 of 22,945

I think it's great to have more impressions, not trying to discourage you in anyway! It was simply the use of describing A as much better than B.

I considered the Sparrow myself and it was on my shortlist for a long time, along with the DFC and S1 (and a myriad of more dongley-dongles). After reading the reviews, and especially the comparisons of the Sparrow in the Headfonia article you referenced earlier, I was actually slightly dissuaded from it. It sounds like it has an extremely resolving and neutral signature, perhaps even the best in its class, which personally are qualities I don't seek; I'm a more organic, warmer, lusher kinda guy and would willingly give up (perhaps perceived) resolution for the qualities I seek. Before I jumped on the S1 I was more than content using my V30 as my DAP, but in the end it was just too analytical in presentation for me, hence the purchase of the S1.

That's all I was alluding to, that someone's much better could just as likely be to another's detriment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back