Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #21,301 of 22,960
While the Mojo's output impedance is generally low, it does unfortunately not stay this low over the entire frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz but climbs towards the latter, which results in a 1.25 dB drop around 8.5 kHz (when used with the SE846), which is something that you may consider, along with that the headphone output is hissier compared to the Apple DAC.
Out of curiosity do you have a link to the mojo OI frequency chart ?

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #21,302 of 22,960
Still waiting on AK SR25 but my comply tips arrived and wow!! Because of the blue filter introducing an incy wincy bit of hot treble, the comply has tamed that sooo well and all bass and mids have remained supreme.

Love it.

A little tip (pun intended :p) is when using actual comply tips, not the random ones they supply with IEMs, go a size higher. I say that because I wear medium or medium/small tips and yet I can squeeze the large ones so thin that they then form a perfect seal and all of a sudden the placement and staging is oh so holographic :)

Man can’t wait to test the AK tomorrow and update you guys in time.

all my current tests are done using spotify and tidal (tbh I really can’t tell a huge difference but probably because of...) using iPhone X with apple lightning-to-3.5mm adapter.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #21,303 of 22,960
Still waiting on AK SR25 but my comply tips arrived and wow!! Because of the blue filter introducing an incy wincy bit of hot treble, the comply has tamed that sooo well and all bass and mids have remained supreme.

Love it.

A little tip (pun intended :p) is when using actual comply tips, not the random ones they supply with IEMs, go a size higher. I say that because I wear medium or medium/small tips and yet I can squeeze the large ones so thin that they then form a perfect seal and all of a sudden the placement and staging is oh so holographic :)

Man can’t wait to test the AK tomorrow and update you guys in time.

all my current tests are done using spotify and tidal (tbh I really can’t tell a huge difference but probably because of...) using iPhone X with apple lightning-to-3.5mm adapter.
What comply tips did you purchase?
with the stock Shure tips I‘ve found that soundstage and bass is best when they don‘t seal 100%.I can‘t name numbers obviously, but it feels like if they isolate about 70% of the surroundings the bass and soundstage is best.
Also tested with IPhone XS.
Tomorrow I‘ll get my DX160 and am very excited to test it!

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #21,304 of 22,960
What comply tips did you purchase?
with the stock Shure tips I‘ve found that soundstage and bass is best when they don‘t seal 100%.I can‘t name numbers obviously, but it feels like if they isolate about 70% of the surroundings the bass and soundstage is best.
Also tested with IPhone XS.
Tomorrow I‘ll get my DX160 and am very excited to test it!
Oh wow excellent we both get to test a new DAP :D!!

I bought the standard 100 set with small medium large. I’ll play more with sizes with the DAP :)
Photo attached of comply packaging.

Attachments

• 69BB0FCE-5C56-4061-A77B-A4CFB352F353.jpeg
    69BB0FCE-5C56-4061-A77B-A4CFB352F353.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #21,308 of 22,960
Anyone tried this SE846 clone, only 80 USD, 5 BA and great reviews for the price.
US $82.50 34%OFF | New se846 HIFI DIY Custom Made 4BA+1DD Ear Earphone Around Ear Earphone With MMCX Plated Earphone as se846 se535 se215 ie800s
https://a.aliexpress.com/_u9HJkf

He's talking about this. But I must admit, I have no desire to try that lol.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #21,311 of 22,960
Oh wow excellent we both get to test a new DAP :D!!

I bought the standard 100 set with small medium large. I’ll play more with sizes with the DAP :)
Photo attached of comply packaging.
oh, I didn‘t know Comply was a brand. Are they supposed to be a improvement to the stock ones? If so how? Comfort-wise?

just can‘t imagine the tips make such a difference. Nevertheless will try somewhen I find them cheap!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #21,312 of 22,960
Sorry to break the DIY chat but just had an interesting read all about source and load impedance matching. I see a mention of achieving optimal performance, generally, with a source impedance that is 2.5-8 times less than the load, closer to 8 if possible.

Seems it’s even called a rule of eights and I guess like any industry “rule” it’s more of a guide. But I’m quite relieved to read that because I kept seeing mentions on here and elsewhere of <1 ohm being preferred for SE846 but really, following this, the AK SR25 unbalanced output is right in-between that optimal 2.5-8x range sitting at 5x :)

Anyhow time will tell. As you can tell tomorrow can’t come quick enough 😂

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #21,313 of 22,960
oh, I didn‘t know Comply was a brand. Are they supposed to be a improvement to the stock ones? If so how? Comfort-wise?

just can‘t imagine the tips make such a difference. Nevertheless will try somewhen I find them cheap!
Absolutely, they hold their pinched shape faaar far better and for much longer, are more durable and are far better at filling all the tiny imperfections and curves. The stock foam tips kinda suck IMO. The closest to them is the yellow foams but they’re still a little rough once they expand.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #21,314 of 22,960
Sorry to break the DIY chat but just had an interesting read all about source and load impedance matching. I see a mention of achieving optimal performance, generally, with a source impedance that is 2.5-8 times less than the load, closer to 8 if possible.

Seems it’s even called a rule of eights and I guess like any industry “rule” it’s more of a guide. But I’m quite relieved to read that because I kept seeing mentions on here and elsewhere of <1 ohm being preferred for SE846 but really, following this, the AK SR25 unbalanced output is right in-between that optimal 2.5-8x range sitting at 5x :)

Anyhow time will tell. As you can tell tomorrow can’t come quick enough 😂
The rule of 8 is considered a minimum by many but there are conflicting views in some Circles

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #21,315 of 22,960
Absolutely, they hold their pinched shape faaar far better and for much longer, are more durable and are far better at filling all the tiny imperfections and curves. The stock foam tips kinda suck IMO. The closest to them is the yellow foams but they’re still a little rough once they expand.
Ok, then I need to try them definitely. I actually like the yellow ones most except when it comed to comfort..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back