Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #20,297 of 22,945
Okay, yeah, I did some more listening tests and I think I was just listening much LOUDER on the Magni. But, I still claim the Hugo 2 is not the Holy Grail of amplifiers for the Shure 846, and secondly, I still think the 846 needs a good amplifier, which I still haven't found.

Noob audiophile here with a follow up question along those lines. I'm running my 846 with custom molds and pure silver cables, but still use my Galaxy note 8 as my player, occasionally I'll use my macbook, but no official portable DAC. I'm hesitant to spend several hundred or more on such a device but am I missing out and minimizing my IEMs by not juicing them more fully? Anyone with some info on this regards would be great. I've searched around on the forums and it seems common place to have some sort of portable DAC.

I'll add that my listening comes from FLAC files using poweramp, or streaming Spotify premium.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #20,298 of 22,945
Noob audiophile here with a follow up question along those lines. I'm running my 846 with custom molds and pure silver cables, but still use my Galaxy note 8 as my player, occasionally I'll use my macbook, but no official portable DAC. I'm hesitant to spend several hundred or more on such a device but am I missing out and minimizing my IEMs by not juicing them more fully? Anyone with some info on this regards would be great. I've searched around on the forums and it seems common place to have some sort of portable DAC.

I'll add that my listening comes from FLAC files using poweramp, or streaming Spotify premium.

I too am a noob. I have yet to graduate to audiophile status. I use my SE846 with bluetooth modules :astonished::laughing:. It seems like most here do invest in DACs and some are very passionate about some specific models. My guess is that those that have DACs are benefiting from a cleaner signal, lower or nonexistent noise, and more cash than I have. So yeah, you and I both are probably missing out on a better sounding SE846. Then again, I have to ask. Do you use stock filters? If so you might find filter upgrades to net you a much bigger improvement gain. Try the "Green Filter", you might like it.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #20,299 of 22,945
I will just go ahead and leave this picture here. Details can be found here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-15#post-15138382

20190822_043042.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #20,300 of 22,945

It’s one of those things, you’re used to what you galaxy sounds like and it’s decent.
If you get a dac like mojo, let your brain burn in for a few weeks, you’ll see that the galaxy was ok, but not a way to listen to music, not if your an addict, like most of us are.
If you’re spending hours each night listening, can’t stop listening, getting into trouble at work because of too much listening, this is what a good dac/headphone combo does.
So yes, get a good dac, and give it some time.

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #20,301 of 22,945
It’s one of those things, you’re used to what you galaxy sounds like and it’s decent.
If you get a dac like mojo, let your brain burn in for a few weeks, you’ll see that the galaxy was ok, but not a way to listen to music, not if your an addict, like most of us are.
If you’re spending hours each night listening, can’t stop listening, getting into trouble at work because of too much listening, this is what a good dac/headphone combo does.
So yes, get a good dac, and give it some time.

Forget about a DAC, get a DAP like the
Astell&Kern A&Norma SR15 High Resolution Audio Player.
With your SE 846, life starts again,
Ps: that is how I started, now I am moving up with the A&k Kann Cube. And still keeping my SE846

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #20,302 of 22,945
I'm looking to get a new cable for my Shure 846. Does anyone have any experience with either FIIO's LC-2.5C LC-3.5C LC-4.4C and LC-2.5D/3.5D/4.4D? I believe the LC-D is a pure sterling silver cable where as the LC-C is silver plated copper. I'm a bit worried that the pure silver cable might make the Shure 846 a bit bright for my taste.

Anyone tried the Shure 846 with the QP2R. Any thoughts on this pairing?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #20,303 of 22,945
I'm looking to get a new cable for my Shure 846. Does anyone have any experience with either FIIO's LC-2.5C LC-3.5C LC-4.4C and LC-2.5D/3.5D/4.4D? I believe the LC-D is a pure sterling silver cable where as the LC-C is silver plated copper. I'm a bit worried that the pure silver cable might make the Shure 846 a bit bright for my taste.

Anyone tried the Shure 846 with the QP2R. Any thoughts on this pairing?
i went from the LC-2.5 B to the LC.2.5 C to the new LC-2.5 D and what a difference, better sound stage and tighter Bass, NO brighter at all ( which i hate higher frequencies)

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #20,304 of 22,945
I'm looking to get a new cable for my Shure 846. Does anyone have any experience with either FiiO's LC-2.5C LC-3.5C LC-4.4C and LC-2.5D/3.5D/4.4D? I believe the LC-D is a pure sterling silver cable where as the LC-C is silver plated copper. I'm a bit worried that the pure silver cable might make the Shure 846 a bit bright for my taste.
I prefer the LC-3.5D to the LC-3.5C with FiiO's FH7, but with the SE846 I'm not so sure. The LC-3.5C seems to create an excellent synergy with it. The D is definitely brighter, more treble-friendly to my ears, but I equalize anyway. In your case I guess the C would be the safer bet. In any event, if you're coming from the orignal SE846 cable, you'll enjoy much more clarity and air with any of the two. (Only the lower Shure models have even more muffled sounding cables than the SE846.)

An interesting alternative would be the ALO Litz, which also sounds very good with the SE846. If you like it darker, but still transparent and clear, there's also the more expensive Reference 8.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #20,305 of 22,945
I'm a fan of the ALO Litz cables, having various models (both the standard and and Super in 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4.4mm). I've been tempted to try the FiiO cables but the LC-2.5BS and LC-3.5BS models I tried weren't that great; they had a formaldehyde stench and reeked of "cheap ChiFi".

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #20,306 of 22,945
Interesting that you should mention the lower Shure models stock cable. What is the difference between the stock cable that comes with the lower models and the stock cable that comes with the Shure 846?

I had a pair of SE 425 and swapped its stock cable with the one that came with my 846. The sound was less detailed but the 425 cable really brought out the bass and made it rumble a lot more whilst making the mids even more liquid. Although as you say it made the highs a bit muffled but this was a trade off. I believe the 425 cable is EAC64BK but I can't be sure. It has gold MMCX connectors where as the 846 stock cable has MMCX connectors which aren't gold plated. As far as I can tell all the Shure cables are nickel plated according to their official description. I would really like to know what other differences there are. Please shed some light on this.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #20,307 of 22,945
Interesting that you should mention the lower Shure models stock cable. What is the difference between the stock cable that comes with the lower models and the stock cable that comes with the Shure 846?

I had a pair of SE 425 and swapped its stock cable with the one that came with my 846. The sound was less detailed but the 425 cable really brought out the bass and made it rumble a lot more whilst making the mids even more liquid. Although as you say it made the highs a bit muffled but this was a trade off. I believe the 425 cable is EAC64BK but I can't be sure. It has gold MMCX connectors where as the 846 stock cable has MMCX connectors which aren't gold plated. As far as I can tell all the Shure cables are nickel plated according to their official description. I would really like to know what other differences there are. Please shed some light on this.
I can't tell anything more than the look from the outside and the sound they make. The latter is what I care for in the first place. The ALO Litz sounds much more open and detailed than any of the Shure cables, the FiiO cables (LC-3.5C and LC-3.5D) play on the same level and seem to be even more robust. I would say the SE846 needs a better (sounding) cable than its stock cable to show its true potential. Personally I wouldn't want to sacrifice airiness and resolution for (even) more bass.

No smell of formaldehyde with my two FiiO cables – no smell at all.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #20,308 of 22,945
The engineer mod has been improved further. It now retains an important feature the real Engineers at Shure cleverly designed in the plastic barrel itself. Updated steps can be found here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-15#post-15138382

If anyone in the continental US wants to give these (Engineer mod with brown Knowles filter) a listen just PM your address and I'll send a pair out free of charge. I have 2 pairs left.
  • If you like what you hear just send me a pair of your stock ones in exchange + $5.00 paypal (my time and the Knowles filter).
  • If you don't like what you hear just return them.
20190825_150420.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #20,309 of 22,945
Greetings, I have the 846 on the way and will be using a MacBook and iFi Nano BL to drive them. What upgrade cable is recommended and is hiss an issue with these using that configuration? If hiss is an issue will the iFi IE Match help solve the problem?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #20,310 of 22,945
I used to own the Nano BL and used it a fair bit with my SE846 and never noticed any hiss that wasn't in the recording. The best cable to get would be a 3.5mm balanced cable because, well why not. The problem is there are not too many choices available. The MEE audio cable with the various adaptor options works OK, I would recommend it at around £75 in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back