Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #17,296 of 22,945
  My advice would be to use the earphones with the cable they come with for a while before deciding to purchase another one. The cable it comes with is also silver (if that makes any difference...) and given that it was designed by Shure, should have low impedance. 

I purchased another cable for ergonomics reasons. I don't like a memory wire, it hurts my ears after a while. Sound quality will not get better and may actually get worse if the impedance is higher than the standard Shure cable.

FYI, any company that has in their marketing material...

... should be avoided like the plague for promoting such utter nonsense. 

EDIT: to illustrate my point even further, I decided to quickly test a few cables I had laying around here. I'm not one to name and shame, so I'll keep it relatively vague.

Note: these were single line DC resistance measurements, not loop AC resistance. I don't have the equipment for that test. But given that capacitance of these cables is typically so low that their impedance is virtually flat, it's a decent enough indicator. 

• Shure original short cable: 0.4 Ohm
  • Japanese "4-core" silver cable with balanced trrs 2.5mm plug ($50): 1 Ohm
  • Japanese silver-plated OFC ($100): 0.8 Ohm
  • Polish made 4-core 7N UPOCC copper + UPOCC silver in semi-Litz ($149): 0.7 Ohm
  • HK made 11-core silver plated copper balanced trrs 2.5mm plug ($39): 0.4 Ohm

Couple conclusions:
  1. I use 4 and 5 because of ergonomics or if I want to go balanced
  2. Price is not an indicator of performance...
  3. The Shure is better/equal to all if you can handle the ergonomics

EDIT 2: added one more I forgot about

Greetings

So any solid advise for a great cable, also I never knew that the shure should only use cables that 0.4 ohm

What effect will it have on sound if I use a cable with 1 ohm ?

Also does using the original cable from Shure make volume lower than using other cables?

Cheers

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #17,297 of 22,945
  Greetings

So any solid advise for a great cable, also I never knew that the shure should only use cables that 0.4 ohm

What effect will it have on sound if I use a cable with 1 ohm ?

Also does using the original cable from Shure make volume lower than using other cables?

Cheers

Check here under Coax Cable Impedance: https://www.ramelectronics.net/understanding-av-cables.aspx

And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4lf6ro/does_cable_resistance_affect_sound/

TLDR: From what I can tell, the characteristic impedance of a cable carrying audio signal is a non-issue. The frequency will never be high enough nor the cable long enough for reflection to occur. Of course, I am not an engineer. You should do some research.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #17,298 of 22,945

Check here under Coax Cable Impedance: https://www.ramelectronics.net/understanding-av-cables.aspx

And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4lf6ro/does_cable_resistance_affect_sound/

TLDR: From what I can tell, the characteristic impedance of a cable carrying audio signal is a non-issue. The frequency will never be high enough nor the cable long enough for reflection to occur. Of course, I am not an engineer. You should do some research.

Greetings

Thanks for the links but to me all this is gibberish language to me

I really need your help guys, all I know is that changing cables make a big difference as I mentioned in my earlier post, but as I mentioned with my new cable sometimes the sound get muffled and then there is a cut out on the left side

Kindly what I need from all of experienced owners here is what is the best cable to use that can increase sound stage and maintain bass impact and mids and improve it in general in regards to the sound quality

When I compare my new cable to stock cable the difference is huge, and immediately noticed 

Also what are the knowles thing being mentioned? And where to buy them?

Kindly I need recommendations more than science as my head is already spinning from reading

Cheers

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #17,299 of 22,945

Greetings

Thanks for the links but to me all this is gibberish language to me

I really need your help guys, all I know is that changing cables make a big difference as I mentioned in my earlier post, but as I mentioned with my new cable sometimes the sound get muffled and then there is a cut out on the left side

Kindly what I need from all of experienced owners here is what is the best cable to use that can increase sound stage and maintain bass impact and mids and improve it in general in regards to the sound quality

When I compare my new cable to stock cable the difference is huge, and immediately noticed 

Also what are the knowles thing being mentioned? And where to buy them?

Kindly I need recommendations more than science as my head is already spinning from reading

Cheers

DHC if money and time are no object

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #17,300 of 22,945
Damn the shure se846 is such a boss.

With the prices of it being as low as it is right now I firmly believe that this will be the starting high end iem for beginners to start. Really can't go wrong with this. It has all the quality you can expect from the shure brand but one thing that really annoys me is the whitish plaque that would form inside the IEM near the connectors after a few months of use. I've been told that it's the glue material they use reacting with sunlight or something. Hope this gets fixed in the next 846 revision.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #17,301 of 22,945
Guys i want you to help me on my final decision Amp with my SE846

Am using iPhone 6 plus and i want amp that will improve the bass

Am listening to modern pop songs and hip hop ( am not a jazz listener or audiophile )

I want clear sound with strong bass
basshead.gif

people suggested Chord Mojo but when i search about it i found people saying it's dosent sound bassy and it's for professional listener who listen to 70s ,80s songs and jazz

or i could go for Oppo ha-2 se or this Amp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXWKBY6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33CO5KBHCZEZR

I know i asked about this thing for 1000 times but am really confused because i can't find them in my country and test them before i buy
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #17,302 of 22,945

Am listening to modern pop songs and hip hop ( am not a jazz listener or audiophile )

basshead.gif

people suggested Chord Mojo but when i search about it i found people saying it's dosent sound bassy and it's for professional listener who listen to 70s ,80s songs and jazz

or i could go for Oppo ha-2 se or this Amp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXWKBY6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33CO5KBHCZEZR

I know i asked about this thing for 1000 times but am really confused because i can't find them in my country and test them before i buy
frown.gif

Buy the cleanest, most neutral amp you can afford. Power should be a secondary consideration, because the threshold for reasonable power for most things is pretty low and the 846's are very, very easy to drive. You can EQ bass in later. You will not be able to use EQ to improve things like resolution or distortion levels.

If you want something along these lines that also has an excellent bass boost, try the iBasso P5 Falcon. I have it, it performs wonderfully and has the best bass boost I've ever heard. However, I never use the boost with the 846's because I prefer more treble. Frankly, I think "clear with strong bass" is how they sound stock with a neutral amp.

Lastly, before you invest in an amp, try the filters, and some third-party tips. They will also help and won't cost nearly as much.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #17,303 of 22,945

basshead.gif

frown.gif

an amp is the solution to the wrong problem. yes some sources could roll off the low frequencies with something like a low impedance IEM, but that isn't the case for the iphone6.
getting a really low impedance amp will just slightly lower the low end amplitude, so apparently the opposite of what you're looking for.
use the filters with the warmer settings, and/or add some low end with some EQ app. it makes much more sense than expecting some drastic bass increase from an amplifier when it's not an amplifier's job.
obviously you can get an amp with bass boost settings, but that's still just an EQ, do you really need to buy an amp just to have an EQ?

and if you're like I am, then you may want to look for a vented dynamic driver IEM with good low end. they tend to feel different from BA drivers in the subs. the downside obviously is that the isolation on such IEMs is crap compared to the SE846. so decisions, decisions ^_^.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #17,304 of 22,945

Buy the cleanest, most neutral amp you can afford. Power should be a secondary consideration, because the threshold for reasonable power for most things is pretty low and the 846's are very, very easy to drive. You can EQ bass in later. You will not be able to use EQ to improve things like resolution or distortion levels.

If you want something along these lines that also has an excellent bass boost, try the iBasso P5 Falcon. I have it, it performs wonderfully and has the best bass boost I've ever heard. However, I never use the boost with the 846's because I prefer more treble. Frankly, I think "clear with strong bass" is how they sound stock with a neutral amp.

Lastly, before you invest in an amp, try the filters, and some third-party tips. They will also help and won't cost nearly as much.

i tried all the filters and i liked the blue one

and i tried different tips from comply,spinfit and comply

the EQ didn't really fixed my issue here

an amp is the solution to the wrong problem. yes some sources could roll off the low frequencies with something like a low impedance IEM, but that isn't the case for the iphone6.
getting a really low impedance amp will just slightly lower the low end amplitude, so apparently the opposite of what you're looking for.
use the filters with the warmer settings, and/or add some low end with some EQ app. it makes much more sense than expecting some drastic bass increase from an amplifier when it's not an amplifier's job.
obviously you can get an amp with bass boost settings, but that's still just an EQ, do you really need to buy an amp just to have an EQ?

and if you're like I am, then you may want to look for a vented dynamic driver IEM with good low end. they tend to feel different from BA drivers in the subs. the downside obviously is that the isolation on such IEMs is crap compared to the SE846. so decisions, decisions ^_^.

the reason i wanted Amp and not EQ is that i tried my 846 on my home theater AVR (Onkyo HT-R593) and i got an improvement in the treble and the bass ( a lot of bass <3) even without using any EQ settings or any other options from the receiver or the PC and the sound was warmer than the iPhone

and the bass was way stronger than my iPhone and you can really feel it

not only the Onkyo even my sound card on my PC (creative sound blaster zx) and my Fiio E10K

honestly i hate the bass coming out of my iPhone even with EQ on the onkyo HF player !

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #17,305 of 22,945
Originally Posted by Ungaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the EQ didn't really fixed my issue here
the reason i wanted Amp and not EQ is that i tried my 846 on my home theater AVR (Onkyo HT-R593) and i got an improvement in the treble and the bass ( a lot of bass <3) even without using any EQ settings or any other options from the receiver or the PC and the sound was warmer than the iPhone

not only the Onkyo even my sound card on my PC (creative sound blaster zx) and my Fiio E10K

honestly i hate the bass coming out of my iPhone even with EQ on the onkyo HF player !

I wonder if this is more of an issue with the DAC in your phone. If I'm not mistaken, the thing all those set-ups have in common is that the decoding is being done by something other than your phone. I have a Note 5 and running the 846 off of it makes the bass sound very muddy and blurred together. I also don't think the sub-bass is represented well by my phone. And, since it's mostly a resolution issue, EQ doesn't help.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #17,306 of 22,945

I wonder if this is more of an issue with the DAC in your phone. If I'm not mistaken, the thing all those set-ups have in common is that the decoding is being done by something other than your phone. I have a Note 5 and running the 846 off of it makes the bass sound very muddy and blurred together. I also don't think the sub-bass is represented well by my phone. And, since it's mostly a resolution issue, EQ doesn't help.

not only my iPhone even my friend's iPhone and my brother's Galaxy still the bass isn't as strong as the onkyo !
biggrin.gif

also am thinking about this Amp from onkyo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5H6B3C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FTET3FBYWFIB

I've read good things about it

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #17,307 of 22,945

ok so that's a different matter. it's not simply a signature problem. the soundblaster seems to be around 20ohm while the E10K is 1ohm. so if you prefer both over the iphone, chances are your problem is something more than just signature.
maybe the iphone just sucks at driving really low impedance loads? google whispered that you can clip the signal into even 16ohm, but I'd expect that only at crazy loud levels, so the shure should be safe sensitive as they are. I'd need to have an iphone6 myself to verify that with measurements into different loads to check if that could be a problem even at the expected voltage for the se846's usage. I couldn't find anybody trying the iphone6 with lower than 16ohm on google.
I guess you're stuck with trusting yourself on that one
redface.gif

still if you decide to get an amp as it seems you will, consider checking the impedance output and if possible favor something made for IEMs to something powerful made for fullsize headphones. this IEM can't possibly have any use for power, but it certainly can use a silent background and something that can survive as low as 5ohm while still behaving like a nice little amp.  good luck with your search.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #17,308 of 22,945
Greetings

I really suggest we do a sumamry for what is best to use with Shure 846

1- Which cable, as I mentioned I compared a 3rd party cable to the stock cable and listening to shure with zx2 the volume between both cables is huge with the 3rd party cable sound way louder, and fuller with a much bigger sound stage, but sometimes I felt the bass just got muffled. Also it had cut of sound from the left ear piece. Someone suggest DHC, so are there any more recommendations??? And what impedance should those 3rd cables be is we want to use 3rd party cables???
2- What dap is best, already we got some recommendations, among them are zx2, cowon, and others
3- I still do not know what the knowles are and what they do ????

Maybe if more experienced users can help in making a wiki or something similar like on the mojo thread

Cheers

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #17,309 of 22,945
  Greetings

I really suggest we do a sumamry for what is best to use with Shure 846

1- Which cable, as I mentioned I compared a 3rd party cable to the stock cable and listening to shure with zx2 the volume between both cables is huge with the 3rd party cable sound way louder, and fuller with a much bigger sound stage, but sometimes I felt the bass just got muffled. Also it had cut of sound from the left ear piece. Someone suggest DHC, so are there any more recommendations??? And what impedance should those 3rd cables be is we want to use 3rd party cables???
2- What dap is best, already we got some recommendations, among them are zx2, cowon, and others
3- I still do not know what the knowles are and what they do ????

Maybe if more experienced users can help in making a wiki or something similar like on the mojo thread

Cheers

As for ear tips I found the biggest upgrade was when switching to IE800´s tips (works awesome with modded blues and black nozzle filters). Better clarity, better soundstage and a little more bass (how to fit: page 1153). Modded blue filters and IE800´s ear tips was the combination that offered most significant improvement (of what I have tried so far). With every other tips I tried SE846 sound a bit veiled and congested. Just my opinion.
Have not tried 3rd party cables yet.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #17,310 of 22,945
  With every other tips I tried SE846 sound a bit veiled and congested. Just my opinion.

Had the same issue and it got fixed, but not just with tips. I still miss the SE846 in some aspects, tho. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back