Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #17,267 of 22,945
Awesome. Yeah the only issue I have with my 846 is the highs get fatiguing with the only filter I like, neutral. So if the Vega does everything else very similar but with smoother highs I'm gonna trade up to those.

Do you ever listen to live music or been near a real drummer? Cymbals sound a lot brighter and crisper than 846s ever portray. They are rolled off and smooth. I think you will need a very mushy top end if they are tiring but that would not be very truthful to good recordings that retain the higher frequencies.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #17,268 of 22,945
Probably 90% electronic music. Which normally is fantastic on the 846 until I try some treble heavy trance and it feels like they're stabbing me in the ear with sharp knives. But here's an example, my B&W P7s have a U shaped eq curve with relatively bright treble, however it's so airy, detailed, and smooth that it's not fatiguing. 846s to me just have a more treble presence in the lower non-airy high frequencies which get annoying after a while. So if the Vegas have more of the P7 style airy brightness, that's what I want. Does that make sense?

what is a song (example) that has this sharp treble?

I want to try to see what you are hearing.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #17,270 of 22,945
what is a song (example) that has this sharp treble?

I want to try to see what you are hearing.

Hmmm. Jason Ross-Me Tonight. Try that out.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #17,271 of 22,945
Do you ever listen to live music or been near a real drummer? Cymbals sound a lot brighter and crisper than 846s ever portray. They are rolled off and smooth. I think you will need a very mushy top end if they are tiring but that would not be very truthful to good recordings that retain the higher frequencies.

Definitely. I've recorded bands in studios and seen many many live performances. In both situations, yeah, cymbals are loud and crisp but do get fatiguing after a while. In fact, most concerts I wear those -20db etymotic earplugs because of that fact.

But everybody's ears are different. The 846 might sound smooth and rolled off to you in the treble, but to me it's hard edged and fatiguing. Therefore when I use them I stay away from treble heavy songs. If the track is centered around bass and mids I LOVE the 846s, but as an end game level IEM, for me, I need to be able to enjoy all of my music without fatigue like I can with my Audeze LCD-4s. Honestly, I don't wanna part ways with the 846s. The see through design is insanely cool, they're comfortable, and other than the treble they sound sublime. Plus to go Vega is an upcharge on top of what I'll lose selling the 846 as used. But at these prices I don't wanna settle for something that to my ears has a problematic treble range.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #17,272 of 22,945
Hmmm. Jason Ross-Me Tonight. Try that out.

Tried that out with SE846. Sounds  good. Totally unoffensive/non-piercing treble.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #17,273 of 22,945
@kyle1010 try this one:
Simon O´Shine & Sergey Nevone - Last Goodbye (original mix)

What do you think about treble of this track?

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #17,274 of 22,945
Tried that out with SE846. Sounds  good. Totally unoffensive/non-piercing treble.

Interesting. Well either my particular pair are flawed or maybe my ears are highly sensitive to treble. No idea. Even on the notoriously smooth Mojo that song kills me. Either way, I wanna hear how the Vega plays it. Like I said, I like airy and smooth treble but to me the 846 has more of a hard edge and bite in the highs.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #17,276 of 22,945

Piercing treble? If there's something the 846 miss, it's treble sparkle. Can't go much safer in that sense.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #17,277 of 22,945
Piercing treble? If there's something the 846 miss, it's treble sparkle. Can't go much safer in that sense.

????????
What?
If I am correct, what I said was "non-percing" which means the treble is never piercing. Which was my point after listening to a track that kyle1010 said had somewhat sharp treble. SE846 sounded smooth with no treble issues to me.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #17,279 of 22,945
@kyle1010
try this one:
Simon O´Shine & Sergey Nevone - Last Goodbye (original mix)

What do you think about treble of this track?

Man, that is some awesome trance. It's more of the original type which is always good. I'm more into the new school Anjunabeats stuff these days though. Anyway yeah once I cranked the volume to my normal listening level the treble got harsh. It definitely took over the song to my ears and made it unpleasant until I turned it down to half out of my iPhone. Reminder this is with the blue neutral filter and the rubber olive tips. Idk. Maybe I'm sensitive to treble. Probably why I prefer my dark-ish sounding Audezes driven by tubes vs brighter cans.

I'm still interested in what a high end dynamic driver like the Vega can pull off against the quad ba's in the 846. Headphones are a funny thing, you never know if they're to your liking until you listen. I think it'll be a good match at canjam. Winner comes home with me..loser stays or gets posted to the classifieds :)

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #17,280 of 22,945
  price seems to be at £769 in GAK and Gear for Music.. anyone find these any cheaper? also anyone bought from GAK?

​Bought many guitars, pedals etc and they are an excellent shop. Once had a problem with transit damage to a bass guitar and they went out of their way to resolve and gave a free £30 pack of strings as a goodwill gesture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back