Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #17,251 of 22,942
  A ZX2 with trrs,or a Qp1R is your best bet,better than mojo and an all in one solution,especially if you find used around $550-600 here on sale trade forums.If you plan to only have se846,no difficult to drive phones, i would give the edge to ZX2 due to battery and better built with no damn scroll wheel but QP1R sq more than make up for it although more on the analytical/technical side,less musical or you can go for the newer Sony WM1A,or wait for DX200 from ibasso,or get an hm901s if you have lots of cash to burn,or better yet a WM1Z or AK380 copper,a lotto paw gold....

The first thing to do still to upgrade sound is free and is to remove the foam from the blue filters and compare it with the trebly/bright white to see which you prefer.

if i remove foam from the blue filter, what diference have vs white filter? or is the same

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17,252 of 22,942
Anyone know where to buy SpinFit CP800's? The medium size has been unavailable on Amazon for a long time now.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #17,254 of 22,942
  info@jaben.com.hk

Seems like a good resource in general, but they actually only have the CP100s, which won't fit Shures.

http://www.jaben.com.hk/?product_cat=spinfitacc

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #17,255 of 22,942
if i remove foam from the blue filter, what diference have vs white filter? or is the same

Not the same. Retains low end of blue filter, but gives a treble boost nearer the white filter.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #17,256 of 22,942
Not the same. Retains low end of blue filter, but gives a treble boost nearer the white filter.

FYI, none of the filters change the low end. It's all relative. By lowering or increasing the mids/highs, the low end becomes more or less prominent respectively. The effect of the filter is quite limited in bandwidth.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #17,259 of 22,942
Has anyone compared 846 to Campfire Vega? I'm going to do this myself at Canjam SoCal in April but I'd love to hear impressions if anyone has done this already.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #17,260 of 22,942
I heard the Vega and I recently purchased the 846.

Bass on both are very prominent. Vega is a very good IEM and great all round DD. 

846 Bass seemed to have more control and a little better depth. The bass on both are fantastic however. Vega were one of the IEM that impressed me the most. I think the top end on the vega is better than the 846. The 846 doesn't sound veil but there is a bit more sparkle up top on the vega.

I am trying to compare by memory. I think they are both very competent IEM. I thought the vega was similar more to my IE800 with better clarity.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #17,261 of 22,942
I heard the Vega and I recently purchased the 846.

Bass on both are very prominent. Vega is a very good IEM and great all round DD. 

846 Bass seemed to have more control and a little better depth. The bass on both are fantastic however. Vega were one of the IEM that impressed me the most. I think the top end on the vega is better than the 846. The 846 doesn't sound veil but there is a bit more sparkle up top on the vega.

I am trying to compare by memory. I think they are both very competent IEM. I thought the vega was similar more to my IE800 with better clarity.

Awesome. Yeah the only issue I have with my 846 is the highs get fatiguing with the only filter I like, neutral. So if the Vega does everything else very similar but with smoother highs I'm gonna trade up to those.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #17,262 of 22,942
Awesome. Yeah the only issue I have with my 846 is the highs get fatiguing with the only filter I like, neutral. So if the Vega does everything else very similar but with smoother highs I'm gonna trade up to those.

What kind of music do you listen to?

From my perspective, the vegas were more brighter than the 846. I would have thought that you would get fatigued from the vega first.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #17,263 of 22,942
What kind of music do you listen to?

From my perspective, the vegas were more brighter than the 846. I would have thought that you would get fatigued from the vega first.

Probably 90% electronic music. Which normally is fantastic on the 846 until I try some treble heavy trance and it feels like they're stabbing me in the ear with sharp knives. But here's an example, my B&W P7s have a U shaped eq curve with relatively bright treble, however it's so airy, detailed, and smooth that it's not fatiguing. 846s to me just have a more treble presence in the lower non-airy high frequencies which get annoying after a while. So if the Vegas have more of the P7 style airy brightness, that's what I want. Does that make sense?

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #17,264 of 22,942
OK...I got some brown Knowles dampers in the mail today. I flipped through some of the install suggestions, but haven't found the items mentioned around me. One thing that I did find however, is that these fit right into the outermost end of the White nozzle inserts. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to start playing around with different ideas than what I read in others posts, and I didn't see that anybody had simply installed the dampers into the White inserts. I have several complete sets of inserts, so one idea is to cut the length of the White insert so that it's just long enough to secure the damper in place. All of the posts from members that have or are using the dampers, have been extremely helpful. 

smile.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #17,265 of 22,942
FYI, none of the filters change the low end. It's all relative. By lowering or increasing the mids/highs, the low end becomes more or less prominent respectively. The effect of the filter is quite limited in bandwidth.

In my opinion this mod has more treble than the white filter, the graphic is more balanced
This is MY opinion.
Have a graph of this or something? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back