Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,683 of 3,218
I guess SE846 is like JH16 in that it has abundance of bass but not overwhelming.  Call it that underlyling, enveloping fullness of sound versus the thump thump thump of some bass,

I would like this IEM but find it among the most intriguing releases in the last 10 years.  Not so much because of the goofy baffling and change outs of dampers but because of the bass.  It seems we know the SE846 treble, midrange and soundstage is pretty much on par with SE535.  So it seems all about the bass.  

I'm not bashing here.....I know I will like this IEM.  Not sure if I will buy it but I find the banter and marketing truly fascinating.  Can't wait to hear more impressions.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,684 of 3,218
Quote:
I guess SE846 is like JH16 in that it has abundance of bass but not overwhelming.  Call it that underlyling, enveloping fullness of sound versus the thump thump thump of some bass,

I would like this IEM but find it among the most intriguing releases in the last 10 years.  Not so much because of the goofy baffling and change outs of dampers but because of the bass.  It seems we know the SE846 treble, midrange and soundstage is pretty much on par with SE535.  So it seems all about the bass.  

I'm not bashing here.....I know I will like this IEM.  Not sure if I will buy it but I find the banter and marketing truly fascinating.  Can't wait to hear more impressions.

I too can't wait for impressions, so it has me using google translate to "read" some reviews from far east. A lot of good praise as far as I can tell, and on two instances it seems to be said that it is not overly bassy, but very well defined and present.

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000508784/

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,685 of 3,218
Quote:
I too can't wait for impressions, so it has me using google translate to "read" some reviews from far east. A lot of good praise as far as I can tell, and on two instances it seems to be said that it is not overly bassy, but very well defined and present.

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000508784/

Had spent more time with 846 demos at the Hong Kong audio visual show the past couple days but the listening environment is way too noisy for me to give any updated impressions.   A number of booth have demos but other nearby speakers/cable/amps/CDs exhibitors are always blasting away and I'm hit with subs and whatnot from all angle.  Really like what Sennheiser did for their HD700/800 demos - they have partition a room with at least some isolation for the demo.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,686 of 3,218
Quote:

Had spent more time with 846 demos at the Hong Kong audio visual show the past couple days but the listening environment is way too noisy for me to give any updated impressions.   A number of booth have demos but other nearby speakers/cable/amps/CDs exhibitors are always blasting away and I'm hit with subs and whatnot from all angle.  Really like what Sennheiser did for their HD700/800 demos - they have partition a room with at least some isolation for the demo.

You did find the SE846 to sound a bit colored am I correct?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,687 of 3,218
[size=9.0pt]Got the SE846 late last week. This is not a review but a quick observation. My main player has been the AK120 and with this pairing I was not happy with the sound. There was extra bass but I thought that was part of the ES846 sound. What really seemed off is that the vocals were harsh in most cases. The vocals were the reason on many songs I would turn the volume down. Since the AK120 has output impedance of 3.3 ohms I thought this could be the source of the issue and I think I was right. I switched to my older RWAK100 which has OI < 1 ohm and the sound is much more balanced. The bass is still strong but not too exaggerated and best of all the vocals are normal again.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]So I think the low impedance of the SE846 is going to make one's choice of sources somewhat limited (I have not had issues with any other IEMs straight out of the AK120 such as the WR4 or IE800).[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Note: I tried the SE846 on the AK120 via ALO MKIII amp and it was better than straight out of the AK120 but not as good as the RWAk100.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]I might have to sell them or get the RWA mod for the AK120.[/size]

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,688 of 3,218
Quote:
[size=9.0pt]Got the SE846 late last week. This is not a review but a quick observation. My main player has been the AK120 and with this pairing I was not happy with the sound. There was extra bass but I thought that was part of the ES846 sound. What really seemed off is that the vocals were harsh in most cases. The vocals were the reason on many songs I would turn the volume down. Since the AK120 has output impedance of 3.3 ohms I thought this could be the source of the issue and I think I was right. I switched to my older RWAK100 which has OI < 1 ohm and the sound is much more balanced. The bass is still strong but not too exaggerated and best of all the vocals are normal again.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]So I think the low impedance of the SE846 is going to make one's choice of sources somewhat limited (I have not had issues with any other IEMs straight out of the AK120 such as the WR4 or IE800).[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Note: I tried the SE846 on the AK120 via ALO MKIII amp and it was better than straight out of the AK120 but not as good as the RWAk100.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]I might have to sell them or get the RWA mod for the AK120.[/size]

I'm not sure about the IE800, but I think the W4R improves with resistance or output impedance.  Seems like the Shures definitely don't :p 

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,689 of 3,218
I'm not sure about the IE800, but I think the W4R improves with resistance or output impedance.  Seems like the Shures definitely don't :p 

The IE800 has pretty linear impedance, sooo shouldn't have too much of an effect on the FR... But might have control issues if too high? Does that sound right?

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,690 of 3,218
Quote:

From the AV Fair impressions, The Shures had sweet vocals, but the highs were quite harsh. Perhaps it is due to my source Sony A844 (which paired disastrously with the Ultrasone IQ). The bass quantity is more than an average BA IEM, but less than the usual dynamic ones. I thought that the bass texture and details were lacking compared to the other IEMs I owned/tried on the fair. One thing that stood out for me was the vocal clarity. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,691 of 3,218
That is most interesting. I actually preferred the 846 over the 334 with the AK120. From what I remember being the prominent factor of the 846 over the 334 is staging. Didn't pay much attention over the bass.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,692 of 3,218
Quote:
That is most interesting. I actually preferred the 846 over the 334 with the AK120. From what I remember being the prominent factor of the 846 over the 334 is staging. Didn't pay much attention over the bass.

That last statement regarding the Shures was in response to another person, kind of rhetoric in a way.  I haven't heard the 846, I hope I do eventually get the chance to though :wink: 

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,693 of 3,218
Quote:
From the AV Fair impressions, The Shures had sweet vocals, but the highs were quite harsh. Perhaps it is due to my source Sony A844 (which paired disastrously with the Ultrasone IQ). The bass quantity is more than an average BA IEM, but less than the usual dynamic ones. I thought that the bass texture and details were lacking compared to the other IEMs I owned/tried on the fair. One thing that stood out for me was the vocal clarity. 

Sounds like the cable needs more time.

I had a pair for 5 days and on the first couple of days it sounded as you have described. But near the end of my tenure with them, the FR had smoothed out quite nicely!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,694 of 3,218
Quote:

Sounds like the cable needs more time.

Sounds like an inadequate source or some more experimenting with fit and tips would be a good idea. But cable? Seriously?

Shure: "Hey, let's use a bad cable for the demo pair on the Hongkong hifi fair, because, you know, it's not important to impress at all."
How does a cable improve over time?

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,695 of 3,218
Quote:

Sounds like an inadequate source or some more experimenting with fit and tips would be a good idea. But cable? Seriously?

Shure: "Hey, let's use a bad cable for the demo pair on the Hongkong hifi fair, because, you know, it's not important to impress at all."
How does a cable improve over time?

Yeah buddy.....you know best?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back