Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #556 of 3,218
Quote:
These do look cool - but at that price I'm certainly not going to be running out to get these, especially having just had my Asian Red LTD 535's for two months. Perhaps it could be on the horizon in a year or 2 depending on the reviews and how much the price comes down.

No need to, you can always order online.

May 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #557 of 3,218
Lol @ music. Well pointed out :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #559 of 3,218
Quote:
http://www.thesubpac.com/what-is-subpac = visceral bass B-)

Oh no, someone beat me to it!
eek.gif
 Thanks!
smile.gif

May 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #561 of 3,218
I do remember the bass being very good, but I was expecting it. It did give an impression which reminded in some ways of the first time I heard the bass from a pair of LCD-2s. The quality was apparent.  It is somewhat of a bad comparison because the sound signatures are different, but there was a clarity in the bass notes of the tracks I tried which was appreciable. I wish I'd had a better source with me though. 

Also, I saw someone's comment about the usual "need to be amped" discussion. There is no NEED for anything -- the whole idea is loaded with misunderstanding. They were very good even out of my iPhone, but, taking into account the law of diminishing returns, better out of my portable rig. I think now I'd recommend one of the new IEM-suited high-quality DAPs to go with them. Better value, no rubber bands and ending up with a drawer full with $2k-worth of LODs sitting unused*. 

*Yes, I can take the piss out of our hobby too.

May 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #562 of 3,218
So, again, is the better bass worth a $600 upgrade? 
rolleyes.gif

As far as improved clarity, treble and resolution to SE535.  Just did that with the "star" tips.  That was a $15 upgrade.

In Shure's defense, I have to think they bought all the other high end universals and probably a few customs too.  Quite possibly when they priced SE846, SE535 wasn't even part of the equation.  They don't make customs and probably thought the SE846 sounds every bit is good or better than other $1000+ universals and many customs.  Why wouldn't they charge $1000??  If they charged $599 it would kill their SE535 sales regardless of how much better it sounds.

In 10 years on HF I have never seen so much hype on a very bassy IEM.  Unless I missed something, that seems to be all we are really talking about here.  A bassier SE535 with changeable filters.

May 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #563 of 3,218
Quote:
So, again, is the better bass worth a $600 upgrade? 
rolleyes.gif

As far as improved clarity, treble and resolution to SE535.  Just did that with the "star" tips.  That was a $15 upgrade.

In Shure's defense, I have to think they bought all the other high end universals and probably a few customs too.  Quite possibly when they priced SE846, SE535 wasn't even part of the equation.  They don't make customs and probably thought the SE846 sounds every bit is good or better than other $1000+ universals and many customs.  Why wouldn't they charge $1000??  If they charged $599 it would kill their SE535 sales regardless of how much better it sounds.

In 10 years on HF I have never seen so much hype on a very bassy IEM.  Unless I missed something, that seems to be all we are really talking about here.  A bassier SE535 with changeable filters.

I see you've compared the SE535 with Star tips with the SE846 stock...  And you say the only change between those two is the improved bass?  Interesting... 

May 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #564 of 3,218
Quote:

I see you've compared the SE535 with Star tips with the SE846 stock...  And you say the only change between those two is the improved bass?  Interesting... 

??  Where did you read that?

I'll say it again.  All I am reading about here in 38 pages about SE846 is "more bass" which is usually a huge turn-off to you audiophiles that demand neutrality.

My $15 tip change gives improved sound that most manufacturers would charge a $300 upgrade for

Again, maybe a missed something.  What else does it do that the SE535 doesn't from those that have heard it?.  That is all they are really saying for the most part.  It's about the bass.

May 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #565 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:

I'll say it again.  All I am reading about here in 38 pages about SE846 is "more bass" which is usually a huge turn-off to you audiophiles that demand neutrality.

My $15 tip change gives improved sound that most manufacturers would charge a $300 upgrade for

Again, maybe a missed something.  What else does it do that the SE535 doesn't from those that have heard it?.  That is all they are really saying for the most part.  It's about the bass.

I think he was making fun of you for judging something you have not heard. But I might misunderstand too.

May 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #566 of 3,218
Quote:
Listened to these this past week for about 25min. These are mind blowing! Better sound than the K3003 unamped. My only gripe is the size of them. They have a lot of girth and to protrude from the ear. They do not lay down flat and flush as the se535. They aren't uncomfortable but you are aware of their size. I listened to the Bright filter and was amazed at how deep and accurate the bass was. Being a Shure headphone the were far from the brightest headphone I have ever heard but boy was that mid-range lush. There was no need for amplification which is always a plus. I listened to my own music playing FLAC files and using Winamp Pro. I did get to speak with one of the engineers on how the headphone came about and he said it's been in development for about a year. Before that there were plans but nothing really came together the way they wanted. Shure did not just want to add another driver to the se535 and call it a day. They really wanted a game changer and I feel the se846 more than lives up to that. All these posts about price need to get over it. Shure is the latest and surly not the last to enter the $1k IEM segment. There is already the K3003i which retail for about $300 more than the Shure. There is also the IE800 which is the same price, plus others I can't remember at the moment. This segment is here to stay and I would much rather spend $1k on IEMs which I can resell later vs. a Custom which has to be fitted and you might not be able to sell it later. In the end... Bravo Shure this IEM was well worth the wait.

Where did you get to audition these ?

May 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #567 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:

? SE535 has like no treble. It's so dark. It's like you have to concentrate to hear the treble. SE846 does have treble and different nozzles, which you basically have 3 different sound signatures.
You know as well as everyone else that IEMs at a price over $500 is not all about sound quality improvements. You are paying for other features offered as well. And why is it all about the bass? If it's all about the bass for you then I can see why you feel this SE846 has not much to offer. But I'm sure most who are interested in SE846 cares more about the bass alone. If you don't feel this upgrade is justified over SE535, then don't. I'm don't want to pay that much either. There are quite a few others do want to upgrade.

Anyways, glad to hear the mids are still amazing. I don't think the treble would be my concern, only the bass. I trust that the quality of the bass is up there with the other top end universals. Just concerned about the quantity of the bass. But I kind of doubt it has as much bass as FX700, FXZ200 or IE80. Hopefully it has as much as IE800 or K3003.

May 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #568 of 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And why is it all about the bass? If it's all about the bass for you then I can see why you feel this SE846 has not much to offer. But I'm sure most who are interested in SE846 cares more about the bass alone.

He's not saying he cares about the bass, he's saying the bass is the only part anyone is talking about with any real fervor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back