Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #526 of 3,218
Quote:
I think FE make most of their money from their customs business as the largest supplier of CIEMs in Japan(correct me if I'm wrong). The universals is an on-the-side thing.

The Suyama dynasty is founded on dental tech first, and hearing aid gadgets second. After that is the earphone business. At headfi, we only care about the earphones, but earphones are a hobby to Mr. Suyama. He does them better than most companies that make them as a primary business, but they remain still, primarily a hobby to him.

May 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #527 of 3,218
Quote:
Okay then so what's so great about this IEM that it costs $500.00 more than their former flagship model? They added one driver per ear and what else? The ability to customize your sound? Can't you do that with an amplifier for less money? I'm just saying 4 drivers for $1000.00 with Shure or 8 Drivers for $1149.00 from JH audio with "Double Dual Lows, Single Dual Mid, Single Dual High"? That's 4 drivers dedicated to bass reproduction per ear, 2 drivers for mids per ear and 2 drivers for highs per ear. No matter what you think this definitely has an effect on sound reproduction and it should therefore have an effect on price as well. If Shure made a similar product I suppose their price would be much higher than the $1000.00 that they're asking customers to pay for this 4 driver model. It's your money though, spend it how you like.

Maybe it's the sound? If everyone went with your logic, the "surround sound" multi driver headphones would the best value things in the audio world. More drivers =/= better sound quality.

May 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #528 of 3,218
Quote:
Okay then so what's so great about this IEM that it costs $500.00 more than their former flagship model? They added one driver per ear and what else? The ability to customize your sound? Can't you do that with an amplifier for less money? I'm just saying 4 drivers for $1000.00 with Shure or 8 Drivers for $1149.00 from JH audio with "Double Dual Lows, Single Dual Mid, Single Dual High"? That's 4 drivers dedicated to bass reproduction per ear, 2 drivers for mids per ear and 2 drivers for highs per ear. No matter what you think this definitely has an effect on sound reproduction and it should therefore have an effect on price as well. If Shure made a similar product I suppose their price would be much higher than the $1000.00 that they're asking customers to pay for this 4 driver model. It's your money though, spend it how you like.

The Sleek Audio CT20 remains my all-time favourite IEM — it's got 20 ultra-wide band balanced armature drivers in each ear.

May 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #529 of 3,218
Quote:
Maybe it's the sound? If everyone went with your logic, the "surround sound" multi driver headphones would the best value things in the audio world. More drivers =/= better sound quality.

Something tells me that these Shure headphones won't sound anywhere near as good as the JH16 pro, which it is in competition with considering it's price point.

May 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #530 of 3,218
Quote:

The Sleek Audio CT20 remains my all-time favourite IEM — it's got 20 ultra-wide band balanced armature drivers in each ear.

My ears were never big enough.

But from simple maths they are 5x better than the Shures as they only have 4 drivers. Maybe 10x better actually as the CT20 are ciems.

May 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #531 of 3,218
Quote:
Something tells me that these Shure headphones won't sound anywhere near as good as the JH16 pro for which it is competing with considering it's price point.

That'd be the skooma talking I guess, since you haven't heard these yet.

But from simple maths they are 5x better than the Shures as they only have 4 drivers. Maybe 10x better actually as the CT20 are ciems.

LOL

May 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #532 of 3,218
I don't even own an iem, but this has been a most enjoyable read!  It seems that there are a lot of members who are very much up in arms that a large company with the money and technology to flood the world market  with a high end product, has somehow tainted the cachet of their boutique iem's.  It's an inevitable occurrence.  Just remember, your  JH13's, 334's, et.al., will become the classic Ferrari's of the audio world.  Enjoy them, embrace their uniqueness.  You're still in an exclusive club.  If Shure sells thousands of these new iem's, and they're a fantastic product, it shouldn't dampen your enjoyment in what you own and have spent your hard earned money to obtain.  My two cents.

May 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #533 of 3,218
I did get a chance to audition the 1+2s and Parterre today. It is interesting to note the Sure's being more on the JH-16-side of things, with more bass (but very good bass using that plate system), I assume to ensure they cater more towards "average" people who like the bass kick, and the others being with less bass emphasis (more towards the JH-13 side) which are perfect for me. All three were excellent IMO. I think that, primarily any fault I had with them came down to the nature of IEMs and their limitations, eg: imperfect imaging and a congestion with some music. I'm still getting a handle on IEMs and what they can and cannot do, what tips effect and all that.

As for the whole $1k universal vs. customs thing, please re-read my commentary on p.28 anyone who hasn't already.

May 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #534 of 3,218
Quote:
Again, Shure's global distribution network could be their trump card. If you are in the market for a 1k universal why would you buy a boutique Asian rival that is impossible to demo after demoing the SE846 in your local territory

Absolutely agreed. That's why I'm saying that I don't think the two are competing in the traditional sense. Not like Westone vs. JHA, etc.

As shigzeo mentioned, dental is the main business for Suyama. The earphones are a hobby.

Enough people go to great lengths to get FitEar products even when they don't really have a significant distribution network.

Market actors/customers are not all rational actors. Sometimes people want what they can't have or the status of owning something that isn't for sale in a market, etc.

May 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #535 of 3,218
Quote:
Something tells me that these Shure headphones won't sound anywhere near as good as the JH16 pro, which it is in competition with considering it's price point.

Different horses for different courses. The 16 has an uncomfortable amount of bass for me. It's up against a lot of customs price wise but there's lots to be said for universals in terms of use, repeatability and instant gratification. I'm hoping the Shure isn't taking it's queues from the popularity of the jh16 and ie800 in terms of bass quantity and is more in the jh13/es5 range of things.

May 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #538 of 3,218
Fwiw, i personally feel that a 1k uiem is better value for money if the sq is similar to that of a 1k ciem on the basis of resale value and of course, the ability to share them with others. But again, everyone has their own definition for "value".

And yes, they cost a ton, but since when has our hobby been considered wise investments? It's always been the case that you're always fighting the law of diminishing returns, chasing after that last bit of fidelity. At least this time, they've come up with a genuinely interesting tech that really could make these unique sq-wise.

Perhaps we can reserve judgement on these until a few have tried them? Far too much hate here, imo.

May 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #539 of 3,218
Quote:
True but the new shure is a different device with a very low quoted impedance.

My post was mainly for the the person who claimed the SE535 required amping, which I have never read anyone utter before. The PFE 232 is most difficult to drive in my collection and even then an EU limited iPod does not need to be maxed so am not concerned about the SE846. But presumably the 1k IEM manufacturers assume such buyers will be using fancy portable daps and amp stack solutions anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back