Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #511 of 3,218
Quote:
Why would anyone buy these when actual custom Iems from JHAudio have twice the amount of drivers per monitor for only $150.00 more? $1000.00 for universals? And Shure isn't even that good.

LOL at Shure not being good. They are what they are by chosen design and compromise. This is obviously designed as a no compromise product though in reality that's an impossibility. It's as good as it's sound and compatibility with sources. Driver count is a poor way to choose a device.

May 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #512 of 3,218
Quote:
"The 535 killed Kennedy"
"IEM manufacturers are mean, they gorge on the blood of audiophiles"
"Do these things go in my ears or elsewhere?"

Mimouille, that was hilarious.
biggrin.gif
 This whole thread is hilarious. The IEM world needs more president killing, vampiric universals with decombobulator tech.

Quote:
$1399 for a pair of IEM is another way of saying "Don't buy me"!!!! or the customers thinking i'm way out of its league!!!!

So? If it sounds great it's still going to sell like hot cakes, see the 1+2.
Quote:
That's why the new Shures don't cost $1,400 — so they can easily be purchased by the masses in most pound shops for $1,000 (or $900).

We can hope. $900 is ~£600, not a astounding amount more than the SE535 price in the UK.

Quote:
Yes it going to be priced at £999 when it hits the UK, Im kinda off hoping I can find it a bit cheaper somewhere at some point if I like the impressions/reviews, I picked up the 535 well below shures rrp.

That's not bad, actually less than what it'd be if the price was a direct USA price + 20% VAT, albeit not by much.

May 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #514 of 3,218
Quote:

Your FitEars and Tralucent's of this world should be worried by that if the SE846 can back up the talk.

Shure is a large business with multiple product lines in many different categories. FitEar is a small, boutique business in a single category. The two are competing, technically, but practically speaking the customer base is very different. FitEar barely has distribution outside of Japan. I don't think FitEar needs to be worried.

May 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #515 of 3,218
eeek just saw price!!!

so another, "oh everyone else has something around 1K so we must have too."  i havent heard them but such behaviour doesnt make me think positively of a company.  i think it just leads to people spending a ton on them and they will be inclined to say wonderfull things about them just because of the exclusivity and to justify the money spent.  ie its all more a marketing exercise than it is aural.

of course i could be wrong.

May 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #517 of 3,218
The SE535 is the easiest to drive of my IEM. Amping may enhance the sound but not at all needed for Shure in terms of pure driving.
Shure is a large business with multiple product lines in many different categories. FitEar is a small, boutique business in a single category. The two are competing, technically, but practically speaking the customer base is very different. FitEar barely has distribution outside of Japan. I don't think FitEar needs to be worried.

Huh? You failed to quote the rest of my short post. Again, Shure's global distribution network could be their trump card. If you are in the market for a 1k universal why would you buy a boutique Asian rival that is impossible to demo after demoing the SE846 in your local territory

May 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #518 of 3,218
eeek just saw price!!!

so another, "oh everyone else has something around 1K so we must have too."  i havent heard them but such behaviour doesnt make me think positively of a company.  i think it just leads to people spending a ton on them and they will be inclined to say wonderfull things about them just because of the exclusivity and to justify the money spent.  ie its all more a marketing exercise than it is aural.

of course i could be wrong.

Having demoed the 1plus2 and Jh13 universal adapted at the recent London meet, am a believer. The ie800 was okay enough but did not stand out to me

May 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #519 of 3,218
Quote:
The SE535 is the easiest to drive of my IEM. Amping may enhance the sound but not at all needed for Shure in terms of pure driving.
Huh? You failed to quote the rest of my short post. Again, Shure's global distribution network could be their trump card. If you are in the market for a 1k universal why would you buy a boutique Asian rival that is impossible to demo after demoing the SE846 in your local territory

I think FE make most of their money from their customs business as the largest supplier of CIEMs in Japan(correct me if I'm wrong). The universals is an on-the-side thing.

May 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #521 of 3,218
Quote:
but whats with that name?

Actually, mark2410 raises a good point. What IS with that name?

I could understand it if they named it the Shure SE888, just because the Asian market has become so important for them. (I mean, it was launched in Japan!) But 846? It's not a 'technical' sounding odd number like 535, or a cool power of two like SM64, or even a particularly lucky combination of Chinese lucky numbers with the 4 in it.

Maybe 846 was the initial targeted MSRP? Hehe.

May 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #522 of 3,218
Quote:
Yes it going to be priced at £999 when it hits the UK, Im kinda off hoping I can find it a bit cheaper somewhere at some point if I like the impressions/reviews, I picked up the 535 well below shures rrp.

That remains to be seen. Perhaps Shure will have looked at the pricing of Sennheiser's flagship IEM, the German-made IE800, priced at £600 in the UK, 700€ in the rest of Europe and $1,000 in the US — £600 / 700€ / $1,000 is already a lot of money for an IEM. I doubt many people would pay £1000 / 1000€ in Europe knowing they can get the SE846 from a reputable online shop like Earphone Solutions for a lot less, and perhaps in 1-2 years' time with a 15% - 25% discount on top of that.

May 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #524 of 3,218
Quote:
I rarely use the expression "lol" but it might be warranted in this case. Guys, if you want to say something in this thread, please read it a bit first and make sure you are not the 1 millionth to say it.

Let me give you a hint of what has already been said  AD NAUSEAM:

"These are too expensive"
"For 1k I can get customs"
"I do not like Shure"
"The 535 were already overpriced"
"The 535 killed Kennedy"
"Iem manufacturers are mean, they gorge on the blood of audiophiles"
"Do these things go in my ears or elsewhere?"

Any non viable analysis on the cost structure of the SE846 or Shure's P&L

Blaming the 535 for killing Kennedy is the result of headfry (which could be the name of a new site that combines political conspiracies with audio gear—trademark pending).

While we're gently suggesting people refrain from “retweeting” (if you will) the same stuff, might I suggest a drinking game (that includes quoting the offender—highlighting the repetitive phrase and posting a single word—drink)? I'm just kidding.

Imagine a real drinking game for every time someone on this forum abuses the word(s) “amazing” and “great detail” (to describe every Apple earbud replacement). You'd quickly die of alcohol poisoning.

--------------------------------

Except for extending the plastic to cover that gap area (where the earpiece connects to the cable), it seems that Shure has at least tried to address many of the perceived shortcomings that have been expressed in the form of complaints on this forum. Looking at the silver color of the new connector, Shure may have even addressed the “sound-out” issue (by other means) with a new finish at the point of connection.

May 12, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #525 of 3,218
Quote:

LOL at Shure not being good. They are what they are by chosen design and compromise. This is obviously designed as a no compromise product though in reality that's an impossibility. It's as good as it's sound and compatibility with sources. Driver count is a poor way to choose a device.

Okay then so what's so great about this IEM that it costs $500.00 more than their former flagship model? They added one driver per ear and what else? The ability to customize your sound? Can't you do that with an amplifier for less money? I'm just saying 4 drivers for $1000.00 with Shure or 8 Drivers for $1149.00 from JH audio with "Double Dual Lows, Single Dual Mid, Single Dual High"? That's 4 drivers dedicated to bass reproduction per ear, 2 drivers for mids per ear and 2 drivers for highs per ear. No matter what you think this definitely has an effect on sound reproduction and it should therefore have an effect on price as well. If Shure made a similar product I suppose their price would be much higher than the $1000.00 that they're asking customers to pay for this 4 driver model. It's your money though, spend it how you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back