Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #571 of 3,218
Quote:
I think he was making fun of you for judging something you have not heard. But I might misunderstand too.

Not making fun of him, but you did hit the rest of the nail on the head...  Don't judge until you've heard...  It could be great, or it could be bad.  Making a prejudgement helps no one make the right decision when the time comes. 

May 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #572 of 3,218
Quote:
That's because it IS rolled off, by more than a bit, I'd say...

depth.jpg

It's the one reason I couldn't live with mine for longer than a month...

I do want to know how they measure with other tips... 

May 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #573 of 3,218
It's a wonder that there are any impressions at all considering the earphone is not out yet. It's not for sale (only pre-order at this point). A few people have evaluation units. The good folks on this site that actually do their reviews with due diligence probably don't have a unit yet and when they get them will take weeks to evalute the IEM then write a proper review (that includes explanations of bass, mids, treble, etc).

May 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #575 of 3,218
I don't do charts. I do ears.

The star tips provide significant increase in clarity and treble extension.
Enough said.

Regardless of tips the 535 caps at 15k (many tips were tested) as the driver can't do anything past it, enough said. It's called placebo if you think it's significant as a tip won't do what a driver can't.

May 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #576 of 3,218
You gotta love how kids these days keep moving the artificial “goal post” on the 535 (which has a frequency response up to 19khz).

I hope the new SE846 has a similar FR curve with at least one of the changeable filters. I like how (with the 535) you can turn up the treble and get just the good stuff about cymbals and bells (the shimmer and sparkle) and none of the bad fatiguing stuff. Of course, if you don't turn up the treble because your iPod is lousy at EQ, then you won't know that. If you think there is something pure about not using EQ because the iPod is so lousy at it then---enough said.

May 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #577 of 3,218
You gotta love how kids these days keep moving the artificial “goal post” on the 535 (which has a frequency response up to 19khz).

I hope the new SE846 has a similar FR curve with at least one of the changeable filters. I like how (with the 535) you can turn up the treble and get just the good stuff about cymbals and bells (the shimmer and sparkle) and none of the bad fatiguing stuff. Of course, if you don't turn up the treble because your iPod is lousy at EQ, then you won't know that. If you think there is something pure about not using EQ because the iPod is so lousy at it then---enough said.

Nope caps at 15k, do a simple sweep and you'll know it just doesn't do 19k. Manufacturer specs have to be taken with a grain of salt, EX1000 caps at 17k and the box says 30k....lol

May 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #578 of 3,218
Quote:
Nope caps at 15k, do a simple sweep and you'll know it just doesn't do 19k. Manufacturer specs have to be taken with a grain of salt, EX1000 caps at 17k and the box says 30k....lol

Last time you wrote 16khz is where the “roll off” began, now you're claiming something different.

Tell you what, name the instrument that plays mostly in the range of 15khz?

May 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #579 of 3,218
Mistake on my part, it's 15k, 15.5k for the ltd version, no biggie, still blatantly rolled off.

Overtones and air reside in these regions, definitely heard personally, but my hearing easily reaches 20k.

May 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #580 of 3,218
It's that kind of stuff that makes me unsure if I can actually hear above 17KHz. Stupid Flanders.

No need to, you can always order online.

Or send a raven...

May 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #581 of 3,218
Quote:
It's that kind of stuff that makes me unsure if I can actually hear above 17KHz. Stupid Flanders.
Or send a raven...

Most people, including me, can't :p  At least I don't think I can :wink:

May 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #582 of 3,218
Quote:
Mistake on my part, it's 15k, 15.5k for the ltd version, no biggie, still blatantly rolled off.

Overtones and air reside in these regions, definitely heard personally, but my hearing easily reaches 20k.

1000 hz off is a biggie. It makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. Now, you're talking about listening to air. Seriously? Well, rock on brother. The Shure's won't play the air instrument but I'm “shure” you have an IEM that does.

May 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #583 of 3,218
1000 hz off is a biggie. It makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. Now, you're talking about listening to air. Seriously? Well, rock on brother. The Shure's won't play the air instrument but I'm “shure” you have an IEM that does.

Point is that even if it reached 16k its still very rolled off for a triple driver, even the single driver PFE112s have more bandwidth at 17k. You don't have to take my word for it, many 3rd parties have data that prove the claim and I mention how you can test it yourself.

Air as in part of overtones, vital for classical music ime

May 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #584 of 3,218
Quote:
Point is that even if it reached 16k its still very rolled off for a triple driver, even the single driver PFE112s have more bandwidth at 17k. You don't have to take my word for it, many 3rd parties have data that prove the claim and I mention how you can test it yourself.

Air as in part of overtones, vital for classical music ime

Those ultra high frequencies don't matter. The 535 is proficient in the range of music. It's like you are complaining about a car that can only go as fast as 120 mph on the highway where the top speed allowed is 70 mph. In other words, it couldn't be more irrelevant.

As far as this so-called "air instrument" you refer too, you are doing a public service by warning others that the 535 won't play the "air" in classical music. Carry on.....enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back