Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #61 of 3,218
Good job there Shure!
It's nice to see finally some Quad driver IEM based on other drivers than DTEC+TWFK Combo. Don't get me wrong Westone 4 or Heir 4 or UE900 sound great but with the shure's design you can get one step further IMHO.
Low impedance seems to be an effect of a very low tweeter cutting (lower than 1kHz). However it doesn't mean earphones will be picky for source, because we are talking about 1kHz impedance... balanced armatures are highly inductive which means there can be even 30 Ohm difference between say 1kHz and 3kHz. The bass drivers have higher impedance @20 or 200Hz than 9 Ohm, believe me.

[Edit] I just noticed that each driver has frequency range marked on it :) tweeter is cut at 2kHz, plus the wiring is solid core!

May 9, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #62 of 3,218
Quote:
asdfasdf I thought I was the only one who listened to her music! Cyber-Five!

Still, the average person here would not bother to use an open-back headphone for mobile listening, and that's where earphones have their advantage: isolation and form-factor.

I listen to almost everything (from Classical to bands like Paramore, paparoach or Eminem).

So im guessing ill need a decent amount of HPs to be able to have everything well set.

Devouringone, What is that?! looks extreamly weird (like a system for the blind to see or somethin).

What is the name of those IEMS?

May 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #63 of 3,218
Interesting development, though definitely not the kind of money I'll be spending on IEMs. Still interested to hear impressions and comparisons.

What strikes me as odd though is that the critique on the SE535 was not necessarily about the lower/mid treble region, but about the early roll off, right? So why are they boosting the 1-8 khz region then with the treble nozzle? Should we expect to roll off significantly after 10 khz as well, i.e. why not address the treble extension?

May 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #64 of 3,218
I do think it is pretty expensive but whatever the audiophile hipster Shure detractors say, my gut tells me these will be awesome. I just cannot see iem pioneers such as them come with a new flagship short of brilliant. Shure mids with more clarity, dynamic like bass and trebble extension ? Sign me in. My question is more : can it be at the level of Miracles, 1Plus2, Togo and the like....

May 9, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #66 of 3,218
Drool! As an IEM guy, this is pretty awesome news from Shure! Since last time I checked that their flagship IEM 535 and 535SE are always being overshadowed with more current IEMs. I'm not really a fan of their sound.

And now they have a new flagship, it may now compete properly and it is also a >1,000$ product? The price gap with Big Open Headphones, CIEMs and IEMs are now closing in....and it's now more interesting.

When are they releasing these?

May 9, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 3,218
Quote:
I do think it is pretty expensive but whatever the audiophile hipster Shure detractors say, my gut tells me these will be awesome. I just cannot see iem pioneers such as them come with a new flagship short of brilliant. Shure mids with more clarity, dynamic like bass and trebble extension ? Sign me in. My question is more : can it be at the level of Miracles, 1Plus2, Togo and the like....

You do have to keep in mind that these are not hand-made like 1+2 or togo 334, and it is made of plastic. Meaning, all the value is going to tech and the actual performance, which convinced me to pull the trigger. After all, it is the first 1000 lvl headphone by a old-school giant IEM development company.

May 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #70 of 3,218
I tried these out today and will try them out again tomorrow. Bass really is monster. Everyone mentioned that straight out.

There is no parallel among balanced armature earphones.

I heard only the balanced acoustic tube so I would hate to drive comment on upper mids and treble without running the gamut.

EDIT: I meant to add: 'among balanced armature earphones'.

May 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #72 of 3,218
Quote:
I tried these out today and will try them out again tomorrow. Bass really is monster. Everyone mentioned that straight out.

There is no parallel among earphones.

Best bass from an IEM :O Better than 1plus2?!

May 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #73 of 3,218
Quote:
I would be interested if they weren't so expensive. As the other member said, I can go for a JH16 for a few hundred bucks more.

That few hundred bucks more for a JH16 can quickly turn into a heck of a lot more when you consider the cost of ear impressions and shipping back and forth for refits. When I went down the custom IEM road my impressions cost upwards of $100 and after shipping back and forth six times for refits costing close to a couple of hundred dollars in shipping without any success I finally had to give up. I sold them for about half of what I paid not including all the shipping, taxes and impression fees. After that experience I'm only interested in universals and being an IEM guy I'm extremely excited whenever I see a new high-end universal that can potentially compete with top of the line customs.

May 9, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #75 of 3,218
I am sorry, but with 1000 bucks at least do something better looking.

But I see the purpose here, to show people how the inside looks like. There's gonna be better looking one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back