Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #91 of 3,218
Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant among balanced armature earphones. I've not had enough time to get the full gist of the SE846, but I can definitively say that in terms of taut/full bass, this earphone is simply in its own space. Again, I heard only the balanced tips so cannot comment on the treble or bass tipped version. Again, you can get more bass from dynamic earphones. The SE846 bass quality is quite impressive - as well as being out of this world big.

I'm waiting for your comparison to the TG!334 -- still the best IEM (even the best earphones+headphones) I've heard.

May 9, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #92 of 3,218
Quote:
Looks good, but this pricing policy is getting a bit wild. Marketing knows best though, my guess is that these "premium priced" products like the IE800 have simply sold better than expected. These new universal high end IEMs (K3003, IE800 and this) are creating a good opportunity for newer companies to undercut them with a 450-500 dollar flagship though...

I've already seen a few people say "look at the cost, these must be amazing!"  A $500 competitor could sound just as good and a huge chunk of the audiophile market would never believe it.  As long as this lives up to a certain level of quality, prestige is going to carry it the rest of the way.  Shure knows exactly what they're doing here... despite huge advances in technology and quality universal IEMs have had a price ceiling for a while, and now that companies have started breaking through it I expect we're only going to see them getting more and more expensive, justifiably or not.

May 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #94 of 3,218
Quote:
I've already seen a few people say "look at the cost, these must be amazing!"  A $500 competitor could sound just as good and a huge chunk of the audiophile market would never believe it.  As long as this lives up to a certain level of quality, prestige is going to carry it the rest of the way.  Shure knows exactly what they're doing here... despite huge advances in technology and quality universal IEMs have had a price ceiling for a while, and now that companies have started breaking through it I expect we're only going to see them getting more and more expensive, justifiably or not.

I can only hope company like TDK won't follow this disappointing wave. :frowning2:

May 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #96 of 3,218
Nice, but I want to say one sentence " Your posts. It's over 9000".
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #97 of 3,218
The problem I have with IEMs that are this expensive (aside from the fact that my wallet weeps) is that they lose their portability and practical applications for IEMs. Would you feel comfortable using these every day on the bus, train etc. on your way to work or class? I barely take my SE535s outside. Aside from the fear of the cable getting snagged, or getting rained on or whatever, you can't just take them off and throw them in your bag when you bump into someone or need to hear for a moment. If I'm on my way to a lecture or seminar I need to pack them well in advance to not seem rude as I walk in. It's quite a hassle

May 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #100 of 3,218
My guess is that they will repair it "for free just to be nice" within a few years of the original warranty going out. Probably already calculated into the price too. It´s a fairly cheap way to get positive feedback going.

May 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #101 of 3,218
Well, IMO it's pretty pointless to comment on cost/performance until more people have had time with them to give longer-term impressions. 

But I will comment on that shell having such an obvious moulding seam makes it look like a £10 headphone from china. Apart from the hideous seam though they do look quite nice. 

May 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #103 of 3,218
Quote:

In just a little while, Shure is going to announce a new flagship in-ear monitor called the Shure SE846.....................................................

Again, I've only spent a few days with it, and I'll have more to say down the road, as I happily spend more and more time with Shure's new flagship SE846.

Quote:
I'm waiting to try these on Saturday in Japan. The 535 was never quite there for me, with not quite the FR balance I wanted. It'll certainly be dangerous to my wallet if they have nailed it with this model. Getting the bass delivered well seems to have been the challenge many IEM makers have set for themselves in the last year.

Quote:
I tried these out today and will try them out again tomorrow. Bass really is monster. Everyone mentioned that straight out.

There is no parallel among balanced armature earphones.

I heard only the balanced acoustic tube so I would hate to drive comment on upper mids and treble without running the gamut.

EDIT: I meant to add: 'among balanced armature earphones'.

Would you please talk about the fit and isolation.  Thanks...........

May 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #104 of 3,218
I'm sure Westone and UE are breathing a big sigh of relief (and maybe chuckling) knowing this se846 doesn't compete with W4 and UE900. It needs to compete with high end customs.
No wonder Earphone Solutions is so excited. Can you imagine the profit margin? Highest in the history of any product offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back