Shure SE535 vs Sennheiser IE8 vs Monster Turbines Pro (MD, Gold or Copper)
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DeoRodriguez

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm selling my 7 string guitar soon, which should leave me enough money for a portable amp/DAC and a pretty good pair of IEM's. 

Which would be the right pair for me? I'm not a basshead, I'd rather have a better soundstage, balance and good separation.I listen to lots of music genres and can't make up my mind on what IEM's to get. Here are my options

Shure SE535
Sennheiser IE8
Turbines Pro Gold
Turbines Pro Copper
Turbine Miles Davis Tribute

I'm also open to suggestions for other IEM's

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 17
im super stoked for my dba 02 to come in, if you read up on them you can see why. Just got the radius ddm, taking some time to get used to them, but they really do sound amazing.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Aug 29, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I'll let you know as soon as mine (DBA's) come in... a week?

That would be very much appreciated 
regular_smile .gif

On the meanwhile, would you recommend the 535s for unamped use? 

As I'd be using them mostly for my iPod and laptop when I go out... For home use I'll stick to the 840's and soon to get (hopefully) iBasso D2+ Boa

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
regular_smile%20.gif

As I'd be using them mostly for my iPod and laptop when I go out... For home use I'll stick to the 840's and soon to get (hopefully) iBasso D2+ Boa

most IEMs function on the basis that they are portable and therefore do not require an amp to sound near to their full potential. This is a general statement of course and differs with personal tastes and stuff.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
regular_smile%20.gif

Unamped? Absolutely. I've heard little change in overall characteristics from amp to iPod.

Personally I think everything improves slightly when 'amped', but that's not IEM or Full size can dependent. It's just the nature of the beast. The amp and DAC in the iPod is only so good. When I'm home and I am amping things, I'm also playing HD tracks  (24bit / 96khz) or other uncompressed wav. I'm also playing bit-perfect and through a great DAC / Amp with lots of power, etc... so it certainly should sound better. But... the overall tonality of the IEM really doesn't change that much.

shane

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks a lot for your replies...

And as soon as I sell my guitar and hear your opinion about the DBAs, I'll try to make a decision!

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your replies...

And as soon as I sell my guitar and hear your opinion about the DBAs, I'll try to make a decision!

Being that you seem to be looking at these two, you may want to 'subscribe' to those two dedicated threads. You can certainly ask for comparisons there... Once the current shipment of DBA's get into several of our hands... opinions will be hitting the fan!
Stay tuned.

shane

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Being that you seem to be looking at these two, you may want to 'subscribe' to those two dedicated threads. You can certainly ask for comparisons there... Once the current shipment of DBA's get into several of our hands... opinions will be hitting the fan!
Stay tuned.

shane

Will do! Thanks for the help!

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 17
I would choose either the Sennheiser's or the Shure's, Monster are relatively new in the Headphone market, and imo are all about bass (enter Dr. Dre beats - which are diabolical headphones for the price). You can manually tweak the bass on the Sennheiser's and the cable is replaceable too. However, as someone has already pointed out in this thread, the Shures and Sennheisers won't need an amp to sound near their best, as they are already designed to do so, hence the portability. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, I thought that the IE8 sounded superlative out of my iPod, then I discovered the HiFiMan-801. When I didn't think the IE8's could get better, they sounded at least 50% better than through the iPod. I was startled actually. People here pooh-pooh the IE8 but they just haven't heard how it can scale up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back