Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,398 of 4,022
I've received the SE535 a few days ago and i'm listening for hours everyday. I just love the sound, more everyday. 
Today i tried my previous in-ears, the Sennheiser CX400-Precision II and allthough they aren't bad at all, especially considering the price it's a world of difference with the SE535 (and so is the price ofcourse). 

Especially the definition of sound, with having a much wider / clearer soundstage, is a huge difference. More open, clear, balanced and realistic sounding. I love it
smily_headphones1.gif

But, i'm a little worried about the fit. 
Playing around with the earplugs will solve my in-ear annoyances, i'm not worried about that. 

It's more the headphone itself which lies on year ears and starts to irritate on some edges after a while. Changing the angle a little solves it a little, but still, not entirely irritation free. I guess my ears are just a little too small. 

So i'm in doubt wether another high end IEM would have a better fit and similar sound quality. Anyone any suggestions?
Are the Westone 3's smaller then the SE535's for instance?

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #1,400 of 4,022

Quote:
I've received the SE535 a few days ago and i'm listening for hours everyday. I just love the sound, more everyday. 
Today i tried my previous in-ears, the Sennheiser CX400-Precision II and allthough they aren't bad at all, especially considering the price it's a world of difference with the SE535 (and so is the price ofcourse). 

Especially the definition of sound, with having a much wider / clearer soundstage, is a huge difference. More open, clear, balanced and realistic sounding. I love it
smily_headphones1.gif

But, i'm a little worried about the fit. 
Playing around with the earplugs will solve my in-ear annoyances, i'm not worried about that. 

It's more the headphone itself which lies on year ears and starts to irritate on some edges after a while. Changing the angle a little solves it a little, but still, not entirely irritation free. I guess my ears are just a little too small. 

So i'm in doubt wether another high end IEM would have a better fit and similar sound quality. Anyone any suggestions?
Are the Westone 3's smaller then the SE535's for instance?

I have the same issue.  They're smaller and less smooth than the 530's, so the fit presses into your ear more.  I suggest trying the triple flange tips, as they are pretty long and give a great seal, while keeping the 535's from pressing as much since they stick out some.  You can cut the base to get them just the right length.

I tried the Comply tips, but they don't give me the same seal as the triple flanges.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,401 of 4,022

Quote:
I have the same issue.  They're smaller and less smooth than the 530's, so the fit presses into your ear more.

This is the exact issue I've had with mine, it means I can't listen for extend sessions. I have to say over the past few days my ears have been getting a little more used to it.. On another note they do sound different since I first used them though, more open and airy. I'm struggling to note if this is my brain getting more used to the sound, or a real change in the sound they are producing...

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,402 of 4,022

Quote:
I have the same issue.  They're smaller and less smooth than the 530's, so the fit presses into your ear more.  I suggest trying the triple flange tips, as they are pretty long and give a great seal, while keeping the 535's from pressing as much since they stick out some.  You can cut the base to get them just the right length.

I tried the Comply tips, but they don't give me the same seal as the triple flanges.

If by less "smooth" you mean less laid back because the SE530s had rolled off highs...I can see how you can come to that conclusion. But, I'll take the present highs of the SE535s any day of the week.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,403 of 4,022
I believe he was referring to the physical construction of the se535s, not the sound.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #1,404 of 4,022

Quote:
I believe he was referring to the physical construction of the se535s, not the sound.

Sorry, I take "smooth" as a sonic description...but yes, the SE530s are physically smoother (if that matters).

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,406 of 4,022
I have pair of Shure E5c's that the cable started cracking in multiple area's. Been thinking of sending them into Shure for repair they are out of warranty. Does shure replace the e5c's with the cracking cable or do they recable?

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,408 of 4,022
So I bought the W3 a few months ago and simply loved it.  Great bass, nice highs, slightly recessed mids, just an overall fun IEM.  I got an itch to try the new 535s, and all I can say is that the W3s are not seeing much use lately.  The clarity and midrange on the Shure's is just awesome, a bit larger soundstage than the W3 as well.  The bass is there when it needs to be, and is never muddy.  People usually equate bass with "fun", but to me, these forward mids and clarity are pretty fun as well.  

My only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the memory wire, and combined with the swivel action of the earpiece, they can be a bit tricky to get in.  Also, as it gets colder outside, the thick cable gets less flexible and can be a bit awkward.  For comparison, the W3 with Complys are a breeze to get in and the thin (but strong) braided cable only adds to that.  I'll probably keep both as they are a nice compliment to each other, but the 535 is definitely a winner and my favorite right now. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,409 of 4,022

Quote:
So I bought the W3 a few months ago and simply loved it.  Great bass, nice highs, slightly recessed mids, just an overall fun IEM.  I got an itch to try the new 535s, and all I can say is that the W3s are not seeing much use lately.  The clarity and midrange on the Shure's is just awesome, a bit larger soundstage than the W3 as well.  The bass is there when it needs to be, and is never muddy.  People usually equate bass with "fun", but to me, these forward mids and clarity are pretty fun as well.  

Mirrors my experiences exactly coming from the Westone 3s (which I still enjoy)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back