Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #1,411 of 4,022

Quote:
 I sold off all my cans to hopefully get the HD800 soon and I'm looking at the D7000 as a closed compliment.  

They are great complimentary headphones...the HD800s are neutral and phenomenal with classical/acoustic/jazz/prog rock, while the D7000s are great with hard rock/metal/rock/jazz/hip hop.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,412 of 4,022
So.... Clear or Bronze?
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,414 of 4,022

Quote:

My only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the memory wire, and combined with the swivel action of the earpiece, they can be a bit tricky to get in.  Also, as it gets colder outside, the thick cable gets less flexible and can be a bit awkward.  For comparison, the W3 with Complys are a breeze to get in and the thin (but strong) braided cable only adds to that.

Yea, but the trade-off is that it is virtually tangle free.  One of the big annoyances in life is trying to get your IEM's on and you have a tangled cable.  Just seems so un-necessary.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,415 of 4,022
Oct 19, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #1,416 of 4,022
I also have the same situation with coming from W3. I am loving the mids...and great clarity. Listening to John Mayer, Jars of clay,  etc..seems the emotion in the voice is so clear and real. Just been loving it!! I am not having  much fit issue per say, although I do prefer the w3 cable. My problem..and it's getting better..is that I get a lot of sibalance. I never have sibalance issues with w3 as so many have...but I have had to play with different tips big time with these. It's not all music, just a select few favs of mine. If it's possible to grow more accustomed to sibalance, I think that's whats happening cuz it's getting less annoying.
Also...I am in the minority who got the bronze. I never cared for clear in any iem's.. always disliked the looks of the um3x clear too. Although as far as clear goes..I think the 535 a still sexy..just prefer the black cable and bronze body.

Quote:
So I bought the W3 a few months ago and simply loved it.  Great bass, nice highs, slightly recessed mids, just an overall fun IEM.  I got an itch to try the new 535s, and all I can say is that the W3s are not seeing much use lately.  The clarity and midrange on the Shure's is just awesome, a bit larger soundstage than the W3 as well.  The bass is there when it needs to be, and is never muddy.  People usually equate bass with "fun", but to me, these forward mids and clarity are pretty fun as well.  

My only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the memory wire, and combined with the swivel action of the earpiece, they can be a bit tricky to get in.  Also, as it gets colder outside, the thick cable gets less flexible and can be a bit awkward.  For comparison, the W3 with Complys are a breeze to get in and the thin (but strong) braided cable only adds to that.  I'll probably keep both as they are a nice compliment to each other, but the 535 is definitely a winner and my favorite right now. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #1,417 of 4,022
I really like the look of the clears in pictures but feel like it'll look like a hearing aid in real life. But I guess with winter coming soon, I'll be covering up my ears anyway...?
duggehsmile.png

So far we've got 2 for Clear and 1 for Bronze.
ksc75smile.gif

UPDATE
Although I said I would save my money until I make more... I didn't.
Ordered the SE535s (Bronze-sorry guys), they should be in my hands in the next week. Hopefully by Monday?
The clear ones looked too professional for what I planned on using them for.

Thank you Head-fi, I'll be eating crackers and ketchup for the rest of the semester.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,419 of 4,022
I haven't reached that level quite yet, where you can appreciate the clear casing. I will, however, try my best to do a write up on this thread with my impressions on them for whatever it's worth.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,420 of 4,022
I am listening to the new Sugarland album right now with the 535.. with a switch off to the new album from Elton John and Leon Russell. I like all kinds of music. These make me just feel like I am with them on stage or in studio...whichever. I am loving the feeling of being there. I just love the mids more and heavy bass less the older I get. When I first got these I was thinking where is the bass? I have had both w3 and um3x in the past few months, both are much more bass "heavy" than these imho.. so I really felt I wanted more bass initially with the 535. However after a week of listening to them, I so love the presentation in every way. The bass is more than adequate and the mids are to die for imo..and I personally experience no rolled off highs. I still struggle with a little sibalance on some recordings, but it's so few artists..I am dealing with it fine. I also feel the price is within reason..I paid pretty much the same from an authorized dealer for these as I paid for the w3 when it first came out.. and these really are built like a tank. Fwiw.. I payed $420 from authorized dealer..

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,421 of 4,022
Glad you're enjoying them, hopefully I will as well once they get here. I paid $430ish which still isn't bad. I used to like bass heavy phones until I grew out of the phase. I've come to appreciate music more than just the thumping at my ears. In the event that the 535s don't satisfy my bass needs, which I doubt, I could always put on my M50s for a while.

And is anyone else's reply box spazzing out? It keeps getting smaller and bigger.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,422 of 4,022
I just ordered the Shure SE535s (clear) for $380 from earphonesolutions after a good amount of pricematching and can't wait for them to come (either today or tomorrow)! This is coming from a guy who is upgrading from BOSE in-ears (first generation). Thanks for all the first impressions people!

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,424 of 4,022

coming from bose, you will be hearing LOTS of details that you never knew existed before =)
I sometimes like bose, when I'm listening to fm radio.
Quote:
I just ordered the Shure SE535s (clear) for $380 from earphonesolutions after a good amount of pricematching and can't wait for them to come (either today or tomorrow)! This is coming from a guy who is upgrading from BOSE in-ears (first generation). Thanks for all the first impressions people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back