Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,381 of 4,022
Listened to my W3's for a few hours yesterday. While I would still take the SE535 I will say this. If you tend to listen on the loud side or for long periods, I would say the W3 is less fatiguing.  Those forward mids of SE535 can get to you after an our or so when played loud.  W3 is generally more distant sounding, in a fun way.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,382 of 4,022
@Music

it truly could be fit issues.  I found without trimming down my rubber plugs that the 535's were hitting a spot on my ear that really hurt even after a little while.  They are smaller than the 530's and don't fit the same.

Also, sound-wise, some people like super bass, which these don't have.  But I love their sound even more than my 530's - they seem to reproduce highs a bit better without distortion and clipping.  I was listening to Led Zeppelin's s/t last night walking home and I felt like I was in the studio with them, with all the spatial cues and clarity.

P.S. - I just took a trip this weekend and tied stuff to my car with my 535 cables.

wink.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #1,383 of 4,022
So here I am, a pretty dumb nuby that paid a "ludicrous" price on a set of IEM's that I couldn't wait to be released because it was time to upgrade from the old E4c to a triple driver that I've wanted since the 530's were introduced. Having a history with Shure for years and loving the sound sig, I never felt the necessity to purchase a pile of other IEM's hoping desperately to find that one perfect magical, unbeatable, loved by everyone sound signature that can never be topped by any new IEM. I laugh to my self many times reading this forum, about how the many different opinions counter one another regarding various new product lines. For example I've read many posts from @ music_4321, the "headphoneus supremous" who continues to criticize the 535 because he's "heard" it and realized that it's just another over priced piece of crap from the bloated manufacturer that continues to sell IEM's, sound monitors, microphones, etc. on there name alone, at over inflated prices. I don't know, but I think the 535's are truly the best sounding monitors I've ever heard and hopefully the inovated cabling system will ultimately give me longevity regarding service life. I did pay Earphone Solutions' product launch discount price of $423.98 and since June, after dropping the money that I had already planned on spending for the upgrade, I have no regrets and further, I don't feel compulsed to sell my beloved over priced 535's, in the hope of finding a dramatically better sound sig from another manufacturer. I wonder how much money you've spent @music_4321 over the years purchasing all the IEM's in your sig, before you finally found that fantastic bass in the one and only UM3X? As for Shure and their ridiculous pricing policies, I don't think their worried about not selling enough units in their SE line......just sayin'

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #1,384 of 4,022
Guys, calm down. And please, leave personal attacks out of your posts.

Recipe:
-1 Shure 535 (whatever price you paid for it is your business)
2- A good DAP with good music loaded on it
3- Sit back and enjoy

No one is forcing anyone to buy or sell anything. I have sold some of my most beloved components due to difficult times.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,385 of 4,022
IEMs fill a niche. Most IEM buyers use headphones at home and use IEMs for portability/convenience. I own(ed) the Westone 3s, SE530s, various Etys; and while all sound great, are not equal to the performance of my full size cans. The engineering constraints justify the high $, IMO. Many here will spend $1k on cables, so I don't really see the logic of arguing value. Elasticity of demand.

The 535s are beautiful, tho!
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #1,386 of 4,022

Quote:
IEMs are NOT a niche market; and gradually even the more expensive ones ($200+) are becoming more and more 'popular' - a completely different situation from that seen only a few years ago. You can clearly see this by the ever growing IEM market with lots and LOTS of new models coming out every few months, quite a few of them being well over $100, something unthinkable only 3 years ago.

Also, I very much disagree that "most IEM buyers use headphones at home". Perhaps a lot of head-fiers do, though not necessarily most, and certainly NOT most people out there (outside of Head-fi).

I also strongly disagree that "the engineering constraints justify the high $". I said earlier that perhaps $200 would be a more realistic/ fair price for these top-tier IEMs - and that, honestly, would still be quite a bit of money.

I unintentionally left out the qualifier, "high-end universal" IEMs.

I am certain that Shure has plenty of finance-grads analyzing for the optimal price at demand (x at y) on the curve. The tails of the distribution will have a few end-users willing to spend $800, and more than can meet production capacity at $200. IOW, it is sub-optimal to sell 100 units at a $100 profit when you can sell 50 units at $200 profit. 

Your argument on price is rather silly and of the circular-variety, but have fun arguing amongst yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back