Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #1,366 of 4,022
Thanks for the feedback. I now think i probably would enjoy that slight extra treble.  The only thing concerning me now is whether the SE535 have enough bass. There hasnt been a clear answer as to whether the bass is the same or if it is less than the SE530's (does anyone have both to give the final answer?) The bass on the SE530 is fine for me. it has just the right amount of impact. i agree it doesnt go very deep but i reckon thats helps keep everything sounding clear and transparent. But if the SE535's dont have at least an equal amount of bass, i feel these could be too bright for me. Any thoughts? 

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,367 of 4,022
I owned SE530 for over 2 years and now SE535 since the day it was released.  Without having them side by side, I would say SE535 has about 10-15% less bass than SE530 and I find it plenty adequate and tons more than any Ety product (for reference).  Not as much but certainly more realistic than W3.

Keep in mind that when SE530 was released they were actually considered bass monsters and were a HUGE jump in bass from Shure's previous flagship model E4..

I have owned all Ety products, some a few times over and they are considered the standard for balanced and neutral but I would truly say that SE535 puts them to shame in the balanced and neutral category, not to mention how much more realistic they sound.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #1,368 of 4,022

Quote:
I owned SE530 for over 2 years and now SE535 since the day it was released.  Without having them side by side, I would say SE535 has about 10-15% less bass than SE530 and I find it plenty adequate and tons more than any Ety product (for reference).  Not as much but certainly more realistic than W3.

Keep in mind that when SE530 was released they were actually considered bass monsters and were a HUGE jump in bass from Shure's previous flagship model E4..

I have owned all Ety products, some a few times over and they are considered the standard for balanced and neutral but I would truly say that SE535 puts them to shame in the balanced and neutral category, not to mention how much more realistic they sound.

Finally!! Someone is saying this too. People told me my memory couldn't be accurate but I said from the moment I heard the 535 that it has less bass than the 530. At times the 530 had too much bass to my ears (meaning it drowned out the treble quite a bit for me). Some suggested that extending the treble makes the bass seems less, but I knew that was false because I have other IEMs with prominent bass and you still hear the treble without problem (this is really evident in my recently acquired HJE900). With that said, I still enjoy the 535 and don't mind bumping up the bass.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #1,369 of 4,022
I'd like to thank everyone here and on a few other long threads for all of the good info.  After four years of great service from my E4s (with zero cable issues, BTW), they've been handed down.  In considering replacements I've been eyeing several models, and have decided to replace them with the SE535.  The UMX3 was probably my next choice, but the SE535 won out in the end for me. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,371 of 4,022

Quote:

Finally!! Someone is saying this too. People told me my memory couldn't be accurate but I said from the moment I heard the 535 that it has less bass than the 530. At times the 530 had too much bass to my ears (meaning it drowned out the treble quite a bit for me). Some suggested that extending the treble makes the bass seems less, but I knew that was false because I have other IEMs with prominent bass and you still hear the treble without problem (this is really evident in my recently acquired HJE900). With that said, I still enjoy the 535 and don't mind bumping up the bass.

Sorry, but I find the bass completely the same between the two. So I guess it can be a personal experience thing?

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #1,373 of 4,022

Quote:
i was just wondering if theres a huge difference between the 425's and 535's that justify the $200 price difference?

I haven't heard them but... hmm how to put this....
If you are spending that much, and you HAVE to have that Shure sound (amazing mids, neutral presentation) then you should go for the 535s... but 200 is a LOT of extra money when you're already spending over 300 on something....

I thought about it today; my headphoens are the most expensive things I own; right there with an unlocked phone. I could have gotten a new laptop with that (which I need since I'm using a netbook as my main right now).

So basically what I'm saying is... that it really comes down to how much you love your music and how much you're willing to spend for that last bit of oomph. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #1,374 of 4,022
I'm just about to make my purchase of a pair of 535s and the iPhone cable replacement (the CBL-M+-K). I was just wondering, does the CBL-M+-K cable have the same flexible ear tips as the standard SE535 cable? It really wouldn't be such deal breaker for me but I just wanted to know beforehand.

Just want to say there's a wealth of advice here about the SE535s. Being such a new product, it was hard finding info about them. I'm just glad I found this forum.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,375 of 4,022
I heard that the cable black +- microphone was located at a weird place.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,376 of 4,022
Just got my Shure 535's in the mail yesterday and the first thing I can say is "wow" what a upgrade from my E3's. I'm absolutely loving them. I'm new to head-fi and am no audiophile but what I have observed so far is the bass is spot on, tight and the treble is amazingly crisp. 

Here's a pic.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #1,377 of 4,022
Amazing aren't they? I love mine; I'm using the exact same tips as you; of course they're clear as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back